How do I handle email addresses in a paper as an undergrad?

In summary, your school might delete your email account after you graduate, but you can leave your permanent email address.
R.P.F.
Hey guys,

I have a question about email addresses in a journal paper. It is natural for authors who are professors to leave their .edu email addresses because are rarely changed. But what about for an undergrad? I am graduating in 2 years and the school will delete my account after I graduate. So should I leave my permanent email address instead of .edu email address? Thank you.:cool:

Physics news on Phys.org
Ouch they delete e-mails right after you graduate? What foresight to immediately disassociate the school with their graduates :biggrin:

I think I've seen some gmail accounts used before.

I've seen GMail addresses used quite frequently also.

You may be overestimating the importance of the mail address given on a paper:
1) How many mails about the paper do you expect to get two years after publication? The only mails I ever got on publications where either prompt reactions on the preprints by people mentioning that I might be interested in a similar paper of theirs (not sure if that was meant as a help or as a polite complaint of not being cited) or spam mails from the publisher telling me about their newest publications or changes to their webpage.
2) If I wanted to contact the authors of a paper then I'd Google their homepage, since I want to know whom I am writing a mail to, and get the address from there.

As others said I would not expect a problem by using a non-institute address. But I would neither want to publish my personal mail address nor create a dedicated account that I have to check (and only get the publisher spam on, anyways).

R.P.F. said:
Hey guys,

I have a question about email addresses in a journal paper. It is natural for authors who are professors to leave their .edu email addresses because are rarely changed. But what about for an undergrad? I am graduating in 2 years and the school will delete my account after I graduate. So should I leave my permanent email address instead of .edu email address? Thank you.:cool:

I'm not sure it matters- generally, articles specify a "corresponding author" who is almost always a faculty member with a stable email address.

Also if you aren't the first or second author then don't expect any emails. Generally most communication will be through the first author who then may forward anything that might be relevant to what you did if they need a response from you.

Clever-Name said:
Also if you aren't the first or second author then don't expect any emails. Generally most communication will be through the first author who then may forward anything that might be relevant to what you did if they need a response from you.

I happen to be the first author.:wink:

Thanks guys for all your replies! I guess I will stick to my .edu email address.:biggrin:

R.P.F. said:
I happen to be the first author.:wink:

Thanks guys for all your replies! I guess I will stick to my .edu email address.:biggrin:

You might want to check with your supervisor. As Andy has stated, usually the contact e-mail address is the person "in charge", which normally is your supervisor, and not necessarily the first author.

Zz.

My school quietly gives graduate students e-mail for life for just this reason (and possibly other benefits, like journal and network access--fingers crossed). The undergrads used to get an alumni e-mail alias using a different TLD that just forwarded on e-mails, but this may have changed with our switchover to GMail.

Perhaps your institution does the same in regards to undergrads / grads?

Since I already had a numbered e-mail address, I hope they don't run out of e-mail addresses any time soon! I'm reminded of an SNL skit WARNING: contains some NSFW language:
http://www.tressugar.com/SNL-Skit-Clownpenisfart-1965732

What do you expect from a skit named clownpenis.fart?

Last edited:

Related to How do I handle email addresses in a paper as an undergrad?

What is the purpose of including email addresses in a paper?

The main purpose of including email addresses in a paper is to provide a means for readers to contact the authors for further information or discussion about the research presented in the paper. This is especially important in the scientific community where collaboration and communication are essential for progress and advancement.

What is the proper format for including email addresses in a paper?

The proper format for including email addresses in a paper is to list the email address of each author in the author's information section at the beginning of the paper. The format should follow the standard email format of "username@domain.com". It is also common to include the email address of the corresponding author in the footnote of the first page of the paper.

Should email addresses be included in the main body of the paper?

No, email addresses should not be included in the main body of the paper. They should only be included in the author's information section or in the footnote of the first page. Including email addresses in the main body of the paper can disrupt the flow of the text and distract readers from the main content.

Do all authors need to include their email addresses in the paper?

Yes, all authors should include their email addresses in the paper. This ensures that readers have a way to contact any of the authors for further information or discussion about the research presented. It also allows for equal representation and acknowledgement of all contributing authors.

What should I do if I need to update my email address after the paper has been published?

If you need to update your email address after the paper has been published, you should contact the journal or publisher and request to have your new email address listed in the author's information section or footnote. It is important to keep your contact information up-to-date for future correspondence and collaborations.