How do I get started in computer science as a senior?

In summary: You can also try out some basic programming exercises or games using the language or programming environment that will be used in the course. Remember, the key is to understand the programming concepts and problem-solving strategies, not just the syntax of a particular language.
Hunter Brandon
I've always been interested in computer science and programming and have tried to learn the basics this past summer. It wasn't until my senior year that my school has offered a class dedicated to computer science. How should I prepare?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would prepare by writing programs to do useful things or play games...

What language is the course based on? and what programming environment do they use? Knowing this will help you get a headstart.

If its Java and you don't know then I'd suggest checking out Processing at processing.org. There are many examples to try out and the programming
model is very easy to learn and from there you can explore java and programming concepts using graphics as a starting point.

If they use Eclipse IDE or NetBeans IDE then download these tools, install them and find a tutorial to learn how to use them for development.

If you have a scientific interest then there is the Open Source Physics collection of Java programs at www.compadre.org/osp

If you have a comparative programming languages interest then there is www.rosettacode.org where various programming tasks are solved using a multitude of programming languages.

Computer science is not about knowing many languages but knowing a few really well and knowing how to use them to solve a problem.

Hunter Brandon said:
How should I prepare?
I assume this course is an introductory programming class. You don't really need to do anything to prepare. Just show up, and do the work. If you want to get a head start, find out what language will be taught and search for beginner tutorials online or introductory books.

Related to How do I get started in computer science as a senior?

1. How can I learn the basics of computer science as a senior?

There are several ways to get started in computer science as a senior. You could enroll in a course at a local college or university, take an online course, or even learn on your own through books or online resources. It's important to find a method that works best for you and to stay consistent with your learning.

2. Do I need to have prior coding experience to start learning computer science?

No, you do not need any prior coding experience to start learning computer science. However, having some basic knowledge of coding can be beneficial. If you are completely new to coding, it's recommended to start with a beginner-level course or tutorial.

3. What programming languages should I learn as a senior interested in computer science?

The programming languages you should learn will depend on your specific interests and goals in computer science. Some popular and widely used languages include Python, Java, C++, and JavaScript. It's also a good idea to research the job market in your area to see which languages are in demand.

4. Is it too late to start a career in computer science as a senior?

No, it's never too late to start a career in computer science. Many people make career changes later in life and are successful in the field. With determination and hard work, you can learn the necessary skills and find job opportunities in computer science.

5. What are some resources or tools that can help me as a senior learning computer science?

There are many resources and tools available to help seniors learn computer science. Some popular options include online learning platforms like Coursera and Udemy, coding bootcamps, and coding communities where you can connect with other learners and ask for help. Additionally, there are numerous free coding resources and tutorials available online.