How do I find this state |j,m=j> to calculate another state?

In summary, to find the vector |s;s⟩ for the general equation |θ,ϕ⟩=exp(−iϕS3) * exp(−iθS2) |s;s⟩ in spin coherent states, one must first determine the representation and basis, then find the eigenvector of the operator S3 to the corresponding eigenvalue s. Similarly, for the equation |θ,ϕ⟩=exp(iθ[Jx*sin(ϕ)−Jy*cos(ϕ)]) |j,m=j⟩, one must determine the representation and basis, then find the eigenvector of the operator Jx*sin(ϕ)−Jy*cos(ϕ) to the corresponding eigenvalue
valanna
I’m confused about how you find the vector |s;s⟩ to use in the general equation
|θ,ϕ⟩=exp(−iϕS3) * exp(−iθS2) |s;s⟩
For spin Coherent states (From http://www.scholarpedia.org/article/Coherent_state_(Quantum_mechanics)#4._Spin_Coherent_States
Eq 12)
Or
how you find the vector |j,m=j⟩ to use in the equation
|θ,ϕ⟩=exp(iθ[Jx*sin(ϕ)−Jy*cos(ϕ)]) |j,m=j⟩
(From https://arxiv.org/pdf/0805.1264v1.pdf
Eq 14)

For the above state |j,m=j⟩ in the paper it appears to be assumed you should just know how to find this. I know that it is an eigenstate but I don’t know how to go from there to get that vector so that I can solve for |θ,ϕ⟩
I need it for j=4 but I’d like to be able to understand how to get it for any j and understand why?

Physics news on Phys.org
As explained in your first link, ##|s,s\rangle## is the normalized eigenvector of ##S_3## to the eigenvalue ##s##. So you pick the representation you have, write down the operator ##S_3## in a basis of this representation, and find the eigenvector numerically.

Likes valanna
Thank you,
Sorry I missed that, I've figured out what I need now thank you so much

Related to How do I find this state |j,m=j> to calculate another state?

1. How do I determine the quantum numbers of the state |j,m=j>?

The quantum numbers of a state can be determined by looking at the quantum mechanical properties of the system. For the state |j,m=j>, the quantum numbers represent the total angular momentum (j) and its projection along the z-axis (m=j). These can be found using the commutation relations for angular momentum operators or by analyzing the physical system.

2. Can I use a specific formula or equation to find the state |j,m=j>?

Yes, there are several formulas and equations that can be used to find the state |j,m=j>. One commonly used formula is the Clebsch-Gordan coefficients, which relate the quantum numbers of two particles to the quantum numbers of their combined system. Other equations, such as the Wigner-Eckart theorem, can also be used to determine the state |j,m=j>.

3. How do I know if I have found the correct state |j,m=j>?

The state |j,m=j> can be verified by checking if it satisfies the necessary conditions for a quantum state. These include being normalized, meaning that the probability of finding the system in any state is equal to 1, and being an eigenstate of the operators corresponding to the quantum numbers j and m=j. Additionally, the state should also have the correct symmetry properties, depending on the physical system being studied.

4. Is there a specific method or technique for finding the state |j,m=j>?

There are various techniques and methods that can be used to find the state |j,m=j>. These include algebraic methods, such as using the ladder operators for angular momentum, as well as geometric methods, such as visualizing the state on a Bloch sphere. The most appropriate method to use will depend on the specific system and its properties.

5. Can the state |j,m=j> be calculated for any physical system?

Yes, the state |j,m=j> can be calculated for any physical system that exhibits rotational symmetry. This includes atoms, molecules, and nuclei, as well as larger systems such as crystals and molecules in a solid state. The specific quantum numbers and methods used may vary depending on the system, but the concept of finding the state |j,m=j> remains the same.