Confusion about initial states and coherent states

In summary: The state with maximal angular momentum in the j=4 representation is ##|4,4 \rangle## with appropriate normalization.
valanna
I've found online that the coherent state of the harmonic oscillator is
[tex] |\alpha \rangle = c \sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{\alpha^n}{\sqrt{n!}} | n\rangle [/tex]
where
[tex] |n\rangle = \frac{(a^\dagger)^n}{\sqrt{n!}} |0\rangle [/tex]
and |0> is called the initial state.
I've some code where I need to have this initial state for j=4, so it should be a 9 by 1 vector right?
How is this initial state found?

Physics news on Phys.org
valanna said:
t should be a 9 by 1 vector right?
Harmonic oscillators need an infinite dimensional Hilbert space, 9 dimensions do no suffice. The formula you wrote is for unpolarized light. In the case of polarization (where j makes sense) you need a Fock space over a 2-mode 1-particle Hilbert space, and the formula gets more complicated.

Likes valanna
A. Neumaier said:
Harmonic oscillators need an infinite dimensional Hilbert space, 9 dimensions do no suffice. The formula you wrote is for unpolarized light. In the case of polarization (where j makes sense) you need a Fock space over a 2-mode 1-particle Hilbert space, and the formula gets more complicated.

So the |0> is in Hilbert space? If there were a coherent state that was in a space where j=4, is there a method to find |0>?

##|0\rangle## is the ground state (no oscillation, e.g., no light) of a harmonic oscillator Hamiltonian, in the space ##L^2(\Rz)## (or the equivalent Fock space).
valanna said:
in a space where j=4
What do you mean by this? A 1-particle space with angular momentum 4 but position and momentum ignored? In this case, the appropriate coherent states are very different - you need angular momentum coherent states.

Likes valanna
A. Neumaier said:
##|0\rangle## is the ground state (no oscillation, e.g., no light) of a harmonic oscillator Hamiltonian, in the space ##L^2(\Rz)## (or the equivalent Fock space).

What do you mean by this? A 1-particle space with angular momentum 4 but position and momentum ignored? In this case, the appropriate coherent states are very different - you need angular momentum coherent states.

Thank you, Those are what I'm looking at, I suppose I made the mistake in thinking the coherent state for the harmonic oscillator was the same because its equation is a similar format to the one I'm looking at.
The main difference is that the state I need to find is represented by |j,j> but I'm having trouble finding how that state is actually found. I see it used or similar states used but no value or formula is ever given. Is it something trivial I'm just missing or does it have no actual value?
Thank you very much for your help

valanna said:
I've found online that the coherent state of the harmonic oscillator is
[tex] |\alpha \rangle = c \sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{\alpha^n}{\sqrt{n!}} | n\rangle [/tex]
where
[tex] |n\rangle = \frac{(a^\dagger)^n}{\sqrt{n!}} |0\rangle [/tex]
and |0> is called the initial state.
I've some code where I need to have this initial state for j=4, so it should be a 9 by 1 vector right?
How is this initial state found?
##|0 \rangle## is not an arbitrary initial state but the ground state of the harmonic oscillator. It's just defined by ##\hat{a}|0 \rangle=0##. It's of course also a coherent state with ##\alpha=0##.

The initial state of a quantum system can be anything. It's determined by the preparation of the system at the initial time.

Likes valanna

Related to Confusion about initial states and coherent states

1. What is the difference between initial states and coherent states?

The main difference between initial states and coherent states is the level of uncertainty in the system. Initial states are typically characterized by a high level of uncertainty, meaning that the exact values of the physical quantities of a system are not known. On the other hand, coherent states have a much lower level of uncertainty and are characterized by a well-defined phase and amplitude.

2. How do initial states and coherent states differ in terms of their mathematical representations?

Initial states are typically represented using wave functions, which describe the probability of finding a particle at a particular position. Coherent states, on the other hand, are represented using wave packets, which are a superposition of multiple wave functions. This allows for a more precise description of the system's properties.

3. Can coherent states be used to describe all physical systems?

No, coherent states are only applicable to systems that exhibit a certain type of symmetry called the 'harmonic oscillator' symmetry. This symmetry is found in many physical systems, such as atoms, molecules, and even macroscopic objects like pendulums. However, it is not applicable to all physical systems.

4. How do initial states and coherent states relate to the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know the exact values of certain physical quantities at the same time. This is because, in quantum mechanics, the more precisely we know the position of a particle, the less we know about its momentum, and vice versa. Initial states have a high level of uncertainty, which means that the uncertainty principle applies to them. However, coherent states have a lower level of uncertainty, so the uncertainty principle does not apply in the same way.

5. Can initial states and coherent states change over time?

Yes, both initial states and coherent states can change over time due to the inherent probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics. The wave function or wave packet describing these states can evolve and change depending on the system's interactions and measurements. However, coherent states are more stable and tend to maintain their phase and amplitude over time, while initial states can change more rapidly and unpredictably.