How do I find the tangent to this parametric curve?

In summary: In the equation for the line, y-y1 = m (x-x1), m is the slope of the line. To find the equation of the line, y-y1 = m (x-x1), you need to solve for x and y using the given slope and the given equation for y-y1.
Randall

Homework Statement

Let C be the curve given parametrically by x = (t^3) - 3t; y = (t^2) - 5t
a) Find an equation for the line tangent to C at the point corresponding to t = 4
b) Determine the values of t where the tangent line is horizontal or vertical.

Homework Equations

dy/dx = (dy/dt)/(dx/dt)
slope = d/dx of f(x,y)
parametric.JPG

equation of a line: y-y1 = m (x-x1)

The Attempt at a Solution

see attached - I know I need to solve for t, but I don't know how with these seemingly unsolvable equations because there is a t^3 and a t = 52 in the first equation and a t^2and a t = -4 in the second equation. Please help thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Randall said:

Homework Statement

Let C be the curve given parametrically by x = (t^3) - 3t; y = (t^2) - 5t
a) Find an equation for the line tangent to C at the point corresponding to t = 4
b) Determine the values of t where the tangent line is horizontal or vertical.

Homework Equations

dy/dx = (dy/dt)/(dx/dt)
slope = d/dx of f(x,y) View attachment 76854
equation of a line: y-y1 = m (x-x1)

The Attempt at a Solution

see attached - I know I need to solve for t, but I don't know how with these seemingly unsolvable equations because there is a t^3 and a t = 52 in the first equation and a t^2and a t = -4 in the second equation. Please help thanks!

It's not clear what your confusion is here. No, you don't need to solve for t; you are given the value of t for the point C on the curve. (Hint: t = 4)

For a) You have calculated an expression for dy/dx in terms of t. Use the given value of t to find the equation of the tangent line at C.

For b) For what value of m is the tangent line at C horizontal? For what value of m is the tangent line at C vertical? What are the values of t which give these two values of m?

I guess I'm not clear how to go about solving this problem then. Can you help me choose the correct procedure for finding the equation of the line tangent to the curve? Don't I have to take the derivative or something somehow? I'm not clear on what to do...

You've already determined dy/dt and dx/dt using the parametric equations of the curve. The slope of the tangent line is

m = dy/dx = (dy/dt) / (dx/dt) = (2t - 5) / (3t2 - 3)

You are given that t = 4 at point C. What is the slope of the tangent line at point C? [Hint: Plug and chug.]

As to the rest of the equation for the tangent line, once you have calculated m, you need one point (x,y) on the line to complete it. You can obtain the (x,y) of point C by using the parametric equations for x and y, knowing that t = 4 at point C.

This is not a difficult problem. It's intended to show you how to work with parametric expressions instead of directly with x and y.

Related to How do I find the tangent to this parametric curve?

1. How do I find the slope of a parametric curve?

To find the slope of a parametric curve, you can use the formula: dy/dx = (dy/dt)/(dx/dt). This means you take the derivative of the y and x components of the parametric equation separately and then divide them.

2. What is the equation for the tangent to a parametric curve?

The equation for the tangent to a parametric curve is y - y1 = m(x - x1), where (x1, y1) is a point on the curve and m is the slope of the tangent at that point.

3. Can I find the tangent to a parametric curve without knowing the equation of the curve?

Yes, you can find the tangent to a parametric curve without knowing its equation. You can use the formula for the slope of the tangent and the coordinates of a point on the curve to find the equation of the tangent.

4. How do I use the parametric equations to find the tangent at a specific point?

To find the tangent at a specific point on a parametric curve, you can first plug in the x-value of the point into the x(t) equation and the y-value into the y(t) equation. Then, use the formula for the slope of the tangent to find the slope at that point. Finally, use the point-slope form to find the equation of the tangent line.

5. Is the tangent to a parametric curve always a straight line?

Yes, the tangent to a parametric curve is always a straight line. This is because the parametric equations represent a continuous and smooth curve, and the slope of the tangent at any point on the curve can be calculated using the derivative formula.