How do I find the real part of a complex number with a square root inside?

In summary, the equation x+iy=a^2+2abi-b^2 can be solved for a by substituting b=\frac{y}{2a} and x=a^2-\frac{y^2}{4a^2}.
sjmacewan
Hello there,
I've been given the task of find the real part for the following expression

[tex]\sqrt{x+iy}[/tex]

And I'm a bit stuck. I figure that I'll just say that that equation is equal to some other imaginary number a+bi where 'a' is the real part and 'b' is the imaginary part, and try to solve for a. But after squaring both sides i get stuck immediately...

[tex]x+iy = a^2 + 2abi - b^2[/tex]

And i don't know where to go. Perhaps I'm going the wrong way with this one, any help would be appreciated.

Edit: Ok, I've made some progress...

I know then that

[tex]x = a^2 - b^2[/tex]
and
[tex]iy = 2abi[/tex]

So i try to get rid of the b term in the real one, but the only substitution I can make results in a y term being introduced into the real part, which is just adding another imaginary number in there...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
only substitution I can make results in a y term being introduced into the real part
Aren't you trying to express a and b in terms of x and y?

which is just adding another imaginary number in there...
No it's not -- y is not imaginary.

ooh, after seeing iy i just labeled both as being imaginary, but i suppose that's not true...i'll keep working then!edit: i still seem to get stuck pretty quickly...

making the substitution [tex]b=\frac{y}{2a}[/tex] and plugging that into [tex]x=a^2-b^2[/tex] gets me to:
[tex]x=a^2- \frac{y^2}{4a^2}[/tex]
And again, i feel stuck. I've tried putting them over a common denominator, but that doesn't seem to lead anyplace useful...

Last edited:
sjmacewan said:
ooh, after seeing iy i just labeled both as being imaginary, but i suppose that's not true...i'll keep working then!

edit: i still seem to get stuck pretty quickly...

making the substitution [tex]b=\frac{y}{2a}[/tex] and plugging that into [tex]x=a^2-b^2[/tex] gets me to:
[tex]x=a^2- \frac{y^2}{4a^2}[/tex]
And again, i feel stuck. I've tried putting them over a common denominator, but that doesn't seem to lead anyplace useful...
Getting a common denominator is one way but the better way to handle equations with fractions is to multiply the entire equation by the "common" denominator- here just 4a2. If you do that you get the quartic equation [itex]4a^2= 4a^4- y^2[/itex] or [itex]4a^4- 4a^2- y^2= 0[/itex]. That's actually a quadratic equation in a2.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK...tell me if this looks ok...it's really ugly and there's step or two which I'm not confident about:

[tex]0=a^2-\frac{y^2}{4a^2}-x[/tex]
[tex]0=\frac{4a^4 - 4xa^2 - y^2}{4a^2}[/tex]
[tex]0=4a^4 - 4xa^2 - y^2[/tex]

[tex]a^2 = \frac{4x \pm \sqrt{16x^2 - (4*4*-y^2)}}{2*4}[/tex]

[tex]a^2 = \frac{4x \pm \sqrt{16x^2 + 16y^2}}{8}[/tex]

[tex]a^2 = \frac{4x \pm \sqrt{16(x^2+y^2)}}{8}[/tex]

[tex]a^2 = \frac{4x \pm 4\sqrt{x^2 + y^2}}{8}[/tex]

[tex]a^2 = \frac{x \pm \sqrt{x^2 + y^2}}{2}[/tex]

[tex]a=\sqrt \frac{x \pm \sqrt{x^2 + y^2}}{2}}[/tex]Can i leave it like that? (you may need to refresh the screen, I've fixed the tex)

Last edited:
Yes, that looks good- except of course that you should have a [itex]\pm[/itex] on the outside and you don't really need the one inside the square root, only +. Taking the negative would make a imaginary and it must be real.

You can check by looking at some simple examples. Suppose x is positive, y= 0. What does that formula give? Suppose x is negative, y=0. Suppose x= 0, y= 1. (The square root of i is [itex]\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}(1+ i)[/itex] and [itex]-\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}(1+ i)[/itex].)

Last edited by a moderator:
alright, thanks for the pointers there, i can't say I've run across many solutions with a root inside a root, seemed a bit odd to me...thanks again!

Related to How do I find the real part of a complex number with a square root inside?

1. What is the real part of a complex number?

The real part of a complex number is the part of the number that is not multiplied by the imaginary unit i. It is the number that can be written as a decimal or fraction, and it represents the horizontal axis on the complex plane.

2. How do you find the real part of a complex number?

To find the real part of a complex number, you simply take the number and remove the i from the end. For example, in the complex number 3 + 4i, the real part is 3.

3. What is the significance of the real part of a complex number?

The real part of a complex number represents the magnitude or size of the number. It is also used to plot the number on the complex plane, allowing for a visual representation of the number's location and relationship to other complex numbers.

4. Can the real part of a complex number be negative?

Yes, the real part of a complex number can be negative. This would indicate that the number is located on the left side of the complex plane, as the negative numbers are located to the left of the origin.

5. How does the real part of a complex number relate to the imaginary part?

The real and imaginary parts of a complex number are often written together, separated by a plus or minus sign. They work together to form the complete complex number, with the real part representing the horizontal axis and the imaginary part representing the vertical axis on the complex plane.