How do I find the general solution of a separable ODE?

In summary, the conversation is about solving a problem involving an ODE from Applied Partial Differential Equations by Logan, 2nd edition. The speaker is struggling with understanding the problem and asks for help in breaking it down into smaller steps. The problem is to find the general solution of the ODE $\frac{dy}{dx}-y^2=0$ and the method used is separation of variables. The final result is the general solution $y = -\frac{1}{x + C}.$
shelovesmath
I am utterly lost on this problem. This is from Applied Partial Differential Equations by Logan, 2nd edition.

Unfortunately, I can't show any attempted work because I don't even know where to start!

In the example, they are using some sort of method for solving and ODE, and I have no idea what.

I really need help with understanding in words what they want me to do, and baby steps in how to do it.

Attachments

• 1.3 number 3.jpg
    1.3 number 3.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 456
  • example 1.3.jpg
    example 1.3.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 435
Physics news on Phys.org
The problem is: Find the general solution of the ODE $$\frac{dy}{dx}-y^2=0.$$The first step is to try to recognize the form of the ODE and determine what method is best to use to solve it. This equation can be written as a separable equation in the form $$\frac{dy}{y^2}=dx,$$which can be solved using separation of variables. To begin solving, separate the variables on each side of the equation: $$\int \frac{dy}{y^2} = \int dx.$$Integrating both sides gives $$-\frac{1}{y} = x + C,$$where $C$ is an arbitrary constant. Rearranging gives $$y = -\frac{1}{x + C}.$$This is the general solution of the ODE.

Related to How do I find the general solution of a separable ODE?

1. What is a PDE diffusion problem?

A PDE diffusion problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves describing how a quantity, such as heat, mass, or concentration, changes over time and space. This is done by using partial differential equations (PDEs), which are equations that involve the partial derivatives of the quantity with respect to time and space variables.

2. What are some real-world applications of PDE diffusion problems?

PDE diffusion problems have many real-world applications, including modeling heat transfer in materials, predicting the spread of pollutants in the environment, and studying the movement of chemical reactions in a system. They are also used in image processing, finance, and biology.

3. How do you solve a PDE diffusion problem?

Solving a PDE diffusion problem involves using mathematical methods and techniques to find a solution that satisfies the given PDE and any boundary or initial conditions. This can include analytical methods, such as separation of variables, or numerical methods, such as finite difference or finite element methods.

4. What are the challenges of solving PDE diffusion problems?

Solving PDE diffusion problems can be challenging due to the complexity of the equations and the need for specialized mathematical knowledge and computer programming skills. Additionally, the solution may be sensitive to small changes in the input parameters, making it difficult to accurately predict the behavior of the system.

5. How can I get help with a PDE diffusion problem?

If you are struggling with a PDE diffusion problem, there are several resources available to help you. You can consult textbooks, online tutorials, or seek assistance from a math tutor or professor. Additionally, there are various software programs and online tools that can help you solve PDE diffusion problems and visualize the solutions.