How do I find the characteristic polynomial

In summary, the transformation T on vector space V = C^3 given by the equations T(x)=-y-2z, T(y)=3x+5y+7z, and T(z)=-2x-3y-4z has eigenvalues that can be found by finding the characteristic polynomial of T. This can be done by solving the system of equations or by finding T^2 and T^3 and looking for a linear dependence relation. The determinant of the matrix can also be used to find the characteristic polynomial.
Treadstone 71
"Let T be a the transformation on V = C^3 given by the equation

T(x)=-y-2z
T(y)=3x+5y+7z
T(z)=-2x-3y-4z

where (x,y,z) denotes the standard basis. Find the eigenvalues of T and the corresponding eigenspaces."

Is there a way to find the eigenvalues without solving the 3 equations? How do I find the characteristic polynomial of T without resorting to anything related to determinants?

Physics news on Phys.org
The determinant of the matrix is one of the coefficients of the characteristic polynomial, and is also the product of the eigenvalues.

So however you do this problem, you have to use a method that is capable of computing the determinant of the matrix.

Last edited:
You can find T^2 and T^3, then look for a linear dependence relation amongst I, T, T^2 and T^3 (this won't be difficult here). All the eigenvalues will appear as roots of this polynomial, as the minimal polynomial will divide whatever relation you find (you may in fact find the minimal polynomial this way).

Just row reduce the matrix to triangular form. You can find the eigenvalues in, what 3 operations.

I was never actually taught HOW to compute the eigenvalue of a matrix other than solving the system of equations. How does one find the characteristic polynomial of a given matrix/transformation?

Last edited:
Treadstone 71 said:
I was never actually taught HOW to compute the eigenvalue of a matrix other than solving the system of equations. How does one find the characteristic polynomial of a given matrix/transformation?

What's wrong with that method? It certainly works here. (Yes, the characteristic polynomial is cubic but one of the roots is "trivial".)

matt grime said:
Just row reduce the matrix to triangular form. You can find the eigenvalues in, what 3 operations.

Matt, could you explain that more? In general, the eigenvalues of a reduce matrix are not the same as the eigenvalues of the original matrix.

Treadstone 71 said:

Do you want to find the characteristic polynomial just to find the eigenvalues? This isn't necessary, each eigenvalue will be a root of the minimal polynomial, so finding this is enough to give all the eigenvalues. Even a polynomial with p(T)=0 will help, you know the minimal polynomial then divides p, so all eigenvalues will be roots of p.

HallsofIvy said:
What's wrong with that method? It certainly works here. (Yes, the characteristic polynomial is cubic but one of the roots is "trivial".)

How did you find the characteristic polynomial so fast?

Sorry, you can find the determinant, is what I meant to say, so there is no reason not to resort to determinental arguments.

Related to How do I find the characteristic polynomial

What is the characteristic polynomial?

The characteristic polynomial is a polynomial equation that is used to find the eigenvalues of a square matrix. It is typically denoted as det(A-λI), where A is the matrix, λ is the variable, and I is the identity matrix.

Why is the characteristic polynomial important?

The characteristic polynomial is important because it helps us solve for the eigenvalues of a matrix, which are crucial in understanding the behavior and properties of the matrix. It is also used in many applications, such as in solving systems of differential equations and diagonalizing matrices.

How do I find the characteristic polynomial of a 2x2 matrix?

To find the characteristic polynomial of a 2x2 matrix, you can follow these steps:

• Subtract the variable λ from the main diagonal elements of the matrix.
  • Multiply the two main diagonal elements and subtract the product from the result in the previous step.
  • Take the determinant of the resulting matrix to get the characteristic polynomial.

Can the characteristic polynomial be found for non-square matrices?

No, the characteristic polynomial can only be found for square matrices. This is because the determinant of a non-square matrix is not defined.

Is there a shortcut or formula for finding the characteristic polynomial?

Yes, there is a formula for finding the characteristic polynomial of a square matrix of any size. It involves taking the determinant of a matrix with elements equal to the main diagonal elements of the original matrix, but with the variable λ instead of the main diagonal elements. This can be repeated multiple times until the matrix becomes a scalar, and the resulting polynomial will be the characteristic polynomial.