How do I find an equation of the line with a given x-intercept and point?

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathdad
  • Start date
In summary: The equation I need to find can be found by finding the slope using (-1/2, 0) and (6, 2). I then plug one of the points and the slope into the point-slope formula. As a last step, solve the equation for y.y= 2x + 1y= 2x
mathdad
Find an equation of the line that passes through (6, 2) and has the same x-intercept as the line -2x + y = 1.

As a first step, I must let y = 0 in the given equation.

-2x + y = 1

-2x + 0 = 1

-2x = 1

x = -1/2

The x-intercept is (-1/2, 0) creating the second point needed to find the slope.

What is next?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Okay, you now have two points on the line, so you can compute the slope, and then you have the slope and point(s) on the line, so the point-slope formula will be useful:

\(\displaystyle y-y_1=m\left(x-x_1\right)\)

:D

MarkFL said:
Okay, you now have two points on the line, so you can compute the slope, and then you have the slope and point(s) on the line, so the point-slope formula will be useful:

\(\displaystyle y-y_1=m\left(x-x_1\right)\)

:D

Perfect. It's easier than I thought.

Equivalently, any (non-vertical) line can be written in the form y= ax+ b. Knowing that the line goes through (-1/2, 0) tells you that 0= a(-1/2)+ b. Knowing that the line goes through (6, 2) tells you that 2= a(6)+ b, giving two equations to solve for a and b. You can immediately eliminate b by subtracting one equation from the other which gives precisely the previous method.

HallsofIvy said:
Equivalently, any (non-vertical) line can be written in the form y= ax+ b. Knowing that the line goes through (-1/2, 0) tells you that 0= a(-1/2)+ b. Knowing that the line goes through (6, 2) tells you that 2= a(6)+ b, giving two equations to solve for a and b. You can immediately eliminate b by subtracting one equation from the other which gives precisely the previous method.
Good data here.

Find an equation of the line that passes through (6, 2) and has the same x-intercept as the line -2x + y = 1.

As a first step, I must let y = 0 in the given equation.

-2x + y = 1

-2x + 0 = 1

-2x = 1

x = -1/2

The x-intercept is (-1/2, 0) creating the second point needed to find the slope.

I will now solve the given equation for y.

-2x + y = 1

y= 2x + 1

The equation I need to find can be found by finding the slope using (-1/2, 0) and (6, 2).

I then plug one of the points and the slope into the point-slope formula. As a last step, solve the equation for y.

Related to How do I find an equation of the line with a given x-intercept and point?

1. What is the equation of a line?

The equation of a line is a mathematical representation of a straight line on a graph. It is written in the form of y = mx + b, where m is the slope of the line and b is the y-intercept.

2. How do you find the equation of a line?

To find the equation of a line, you need to know the slope and the y-intercept. The slope can be found by calculating the change in y over the change in x, and the y-intercept is the point where the line intersects with the y-axis.

3. Can the equation of a line be written in different forms?

Yes, the equation of a line can be written in different forms depending on the information given. Other forms include point-slope form, standard form, and slope-intercept form.

4. What is the significance of the slope in the equation of a line?

The slope represents the rate of change or steepness of the line. A positive slope means the line is increasing from left to right, while a negative slope means the line is decreasing. A slope of 0 indicates a horizontal line, and a slope of undefined indicates a vertical line.

5. How is the equation of a line used in real-life applications?

The equation of a line is used in many real-life applications, such as calculating the speed of a moving object, predicting future values in a linear trend, and determining the relationship between two variables in a linear system.