How do i figure how much torque i need?

In summary, the conversation is about building an alternative fuel motorcycle and the main concern is determining the appropriate motor size and torque needed. The individual has already figured out the top speed, RPMs, and weight of the bike and is now seeking a formula to calculate the necessary torque. The advice given is to look at specs of similar motorcycle motors and consider the primary and final gearing ratios to translate engine torque to rearwheel torque.
sticktnt
I am building an "alternative fuel" motorcycle.

But i am having trouble figuring out what size motor i need to use and how much torque it needs to put out.

I have already figured out my top speed, (I am limiting the prototype) and also the RPMs of the drive tire at that speed. I also have the estimated weight of the completed bike with rider.

I am looking for a formula to determine how much torque is needed.

Thanks for the help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Torque determines the acceleration. Top speed is a difficult thing to calculate due to it being largely dependent on wind resistance. Regardless, why not just look at the specs of similar motorcylce motors?

Russ 's advice is good - look at existing designs. Also, the gearing you select will make a big difference too. Motorcycle transmissions in top gear are 1:1, so you need to consider the primary gearing (engine sprocket to gearbox input sprocket) and the final gearing (gearbox output sprocket to wheel sprocket). These ratios translate the engine torque to the rearwheel torque.

Related to How do i figure how much torque i need?

1. What is torque and why is it important?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate. It is important because it is a crucial aspect in determining the rotational motion of objects and is necessary for many everyday tasks such as driving a car or using tools.

2. How do I calculate the torque needed for a specific task?

To calculate torque, you will need to know the force applied and the distance from the fulcrum or pivot point. The formula for torque is T = F x d, where T is torque, F is force, and d is distance. It is important to note that torque is measured in units of force multiplied by distance, such as newton-meters (Nm) or pound-feet (lb-ft).

3. What factors can affect the amount of torque needed?

The amount of torque needed can be affected by several factors, including the weight or mass of the object being rotated, the distance from the fulcrum, the angle at which the force is applied, and any friction or resistance present in the system.

4. How do I choose the appropriate amount of torque for a specific application?

The amount of torque needed will vary depending on the specific application. It is important to consider the weight and size of the object, as well as any potential resistance or friction. You may also need to consult with a torque expert or use torque calculators to determine the appropriate amount for your specific task.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when using torque?

Yes, there are some safety precautions to consider when using torque. Make sure to wear appropriate safety gear, such as gloves and safety glasses, when working with tools that require torque. It is also important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and use the correct amount of torque to avoid damaging equipment or causing injury.