How do I determine the poles of 1/(z^6 + 1) above the y-axis?

In summary, you are trying to find solutions to z^6 + 1 = 0. You should review the topic "Roots of unity" for more details.
Lavabug
Kind of stuck (embarrassingly) on determining what poles of the function:

1/(z^6 + 1)

lie above the y-axis (I'm solving a contour integral using the residues theorem).

What's the easiest way to do this? Normally I'd write z as e^(theta + 2kpi)/6 , where theta is the angle that -1 forms with the first quadrant (pi) and solve for 6 values of k but I'm pretty confused on this problem.

Isn't there a more direct way to get all 6 roots of z^6 + 1 = 0?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Lavabug! :smile:

(have a theta: θ and a pi: π and try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)
Lavabug said:
Normally I'd write z as e^(theta + 2kpi)/6 , where theta is the angle that -1 forms with the first quadrant (pi) and solve for 6 values of k but I'm pretty confused on this problem.

I don't understand :redface:

that's π/6, 3π/6, 5π/6, etc …

what's wrong with that? :confused:

tiny-tim said:
Hi Lavabug! :smile:

(have a theta: θ and a pi: π and try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)

I don't understand :redface:

that's π/6, 3π/6, 5π/6, etc …

what's wrong with that? :confused:

Thanks. I'll make an effort to use learn the Tex in following posts, as you can imagine at this time of year I'm in a hurry! :p

Yeah those are the exponents I get that have projections above the y axis, but they're really ugly numbers (solved for them using Euler's formula) to plug into the residues formula. Something tells me I'm doing something wrong, shouldn't my poles be +-i raised to the power of something?

Also how would I decompose the denominator into perfect squares so the (z -z0)^m terms cancel when I calculate the residue? I've only dealt with 2nd, 4th order polys in the denominator but this one has me scratching my head.

You are trying to find solutions to z^6 + 1 = 0. This is similar to solving z^6 - 1 = 0, except the solutions to your equation will be rotated. The roots of z^6 + 1 will plot as the vertices of a hexagon, and one vertex will be positioned at (0, i) and one at (0, -i). You should review the topic "Roots of unity" for more details.

Related to How do I determine the poles of 1/(z^6 + 1) above the y-axis?

1. What are poles in complex numbers?

Poles in complex numbers refer to the points on the complex plane where a function becomes undefined or infinite. They are also known as singularities.

2. How can poles be identified in a complex function?

Poles can be identified by finding the values of the complex variable that make the denominator of the function equal to zero. These values are known as the poles.

3. What is the significance of poles in complex analysis?

Poles play a crucial role in the study of complex analysis as they are used to determine the behavior of a function near the poles. They also help in evaluating complex integrals and solving differential equations.

4. How are poles classified in complex numbers?

Poles can be classified as simple poles, double poles, triple poles, and so on, depending on the order of the denominator of the function at that particular point.

5. Can poles exist in real numbers?

No, poles only exist in complex numbers. In real numbers, the denominator of a function can never be equal to zero, thus there are no singularities or poles.