How do I Compute the Second Partial Derivative of u with Respect to s?

In summary, the general form for \displaystyle \frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial s^2} can be found by using the chain rule and the given expression for \displaystyle \frac{\partial u}{\partial s}. The final result is \displaystyle \frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial s^2} = \frac{\partial}{\partial u}\left(\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}x\right) + \frac{\partial}{\partial s}\left(\frac{\partial u}{\partial y}y\right), which can be simplified using the chain rule again.
CAF123
Gold Member

Homework Statement

I have an expression for the partial derivative of u with respect to s, which is [tex] \frac{\partial\,u}{\partial\,s} = \frac{\partial\,u}{\partial\,x}x + \frac{\partial\,u}{\partial\,y}y [/tex]
How do I compute [itex] \frac{\partial^2u}{\partial\,s^2} [/itex] from this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is something missing from the question that is required ?( I have the explicit functions x = x(s,t) and y=y(s,t)). Anyone any ideas?

CAF123 said:

Homework Statement

I have an expression for the partial derivative of u with respect to s, which is [tex] \frac{\partial\,u}{\partial\,s} = \frac{\partial\,u}{\partial\,x}x + \frac{\partial\,u}{\partial\,y}y [/tex]
Use the chain rule:
[tex]\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial s^2}= \frac{\partial}{\partial u}\left(\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}x\right)+ \frac{\partial}{\partial s}\left(\frac{\partial u}{\partial y}y\right)[/tex]

The derivative of anything with respect to s, assuming that s itself is a function of x and y, is
[tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\frac{\partial x}{\partial s}+ \frac{\partial f}{\partal y}\frac{\partial y}{\partial s}[/tex]

HallsofIvy said:
Use the chain rule:
[tex]\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial s^2}= \frac{\partial}{\partial u}\left(\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}x\right)+ \frac{\partial}{\partial s}\left(\frac{\partial u}{\partial y}y\right)[/tex]

The derivative of anything with respect to s, assuming that s itself is a function of x and y, is
[tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\frac{\partial x}{\partial s}+ \frac{\partial f}{\partal y}\frac{\partial y}{\partial s}[/tex]

Should that be an s above?
Given this, I have [tex] \frac{\partial}{\partial s}\left(\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}\right)x + \frac{\partial}{\partial s}\left(x\right) \frac{\partial u}{\partial x} [/tex] for the first term.
What do I do from here?

CAF123 said:

Homework Statement

CAF123 said:
Is something missing from the question that is required ?( I have the explicit functions x = x(s,t) and y=y(s,t)). Anyone any ideas?
Yes, it's important to know that x = x(s,t) and y=y(s,t)

What is the general form of [itex]\displaystyle \frac{\partial\,u}{\partial\,s}\,,\ \ \text{ if } \ \ x = x(s,t)\ \text{ and }\ y=y(s,t)\ ?[/itex]

SammyS said:
Yes, it's important to know that x = x(s,t) and y=y(s,t)

What is the general form of [itex]\displaystyle \frac{\partial\,u}{\partial\,s}\,,\ \ \text{ if } \ \ x = x(s,t)\ \text{ and }\ y=y(s,t)\ ?[/itex]

Is this not the equation I wrote in my first post?

CAF123 said:
Is this not the equation I wrote in my first post?
The equation in your first post is for some particular x = x(s,t) and y = y(s,t).

In general, [itex]\displaystyle \frac{\partial u}{\partial s}=\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}\frac{\partial x}{\partial s}+\frac{\partial u}{\partial y}\frac{\partial y}{\partial s}\ .[/itex]

This along with the equation in your first post tells you something about [itex]\displaystyle \frac{\partial x}{\partial s}[/itex] and [itex]\displaystyle \frac{\partial y}{\partial s}\ .[/itex]

Yes, it tells me that, [tex] \frac{\partial x}{\partial s} = x \,\,\text{and}\,\,\frac{\partial y}{\partial s} =y [/tex] I.e the partial derivatives with respect to s are the actual functions.

CAF123 said:
Yes, it tells me that, [tex] \frac{\partial x}{\partial s} = x \,\,\text{and}\,\,\frac{\partial y}{\partial s} =y [/tex]
Yes. Now proceed with what you said in post #4 regarding: [itex]\displaystyle \frac{\partial}{\partial s}\left(\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}\,x\right)\ ,[/itex]

[itex]\displaystyle \frac{\partial}{\partial s}\left(\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}\,x\right)=\frac{\partial}{\partial s}\left(\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}\right)x + \frac{\partial}{\partial s}\left(x\right) \frac{\partial u}{\partial x}\ ,[/itex]

which can be written as:

[itex]\displaystyle \left(\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial s\,\partial x}\right)x + \frac{\partial x}{\partial s}\, \frac{\partial u}{\partial x}\ .[/itex]

SammyS said:
Yes. Now proceed with what you said in post #4 regarding: [itex]\displaystyle \frac{\partial}{\partial s}\left(\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}\,x\right)\ ,[/itex]

[itex]\displaystyle \frac{\partial}{\partial s}\left(\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}\,x\right)=\frac{\partial}{\partial s}\left(\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}\right)x + \frac{\partial}{\partial s}\left(x\right) \frac{\partial u}{\partial x}\ ,[/itex]

which can be written as:

[itex]\displaystyle \left(\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial s\,\partial x}\right)x + \frac{\partial x}{\partial s}\, \frac{\partial u}{\partial x}\ .[/itex]

Where do I go from here?
I have written the above as [tex] \frac{\partial u}{\partial x} x + \left(\frac{\partial u}{\partial s}\right)\left(\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}\right) x = \frac{\partial u}{\partial x} x \left( 1 + \frac{\partial u}{\partial s}\right) [/tex]

CAF123 said:
I have written the above as [tex] \frac{\partial u}{\partial x} x + \left(\frac{\partial u}{\partial s}\right)\left(\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}\right) x = \frac{\partial u}{\partial x} x \left( 1 + \frac{\partial u}{\partial s}\right) [/tex]
Those are not correct .

[itex]\displaystyle \left(\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial s\,\partial x}\right)x + \frac{\partial x}{\partial s}\, \frac{\partial u}{\partial x}[/itex]
[itex]\displaystyle
=x\frac{\partial u}{\partial x} + x \left(\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial s\,\partial x}\right)[/itex]

[itex]\displaystyle =x\frac{\partial }{\partial x}\left( u + \frac{\partial u}{\partial s}\right)\,, \ \ \ [/itex] but I wouldn't put it into this last form. Perhaps only factor out x.​

Where do I go from here?
Use what HallsofIvy stated in post #3:
HallsofIvy said:

The derivative of anything with respect to s, assuming that f itself is a function of x and y, is
[tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\frac{\partial x}{\partial s}+ \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}\frac{\partial y}{\partial s}[/tex]
where he's giving the the result of using the chain rule on, [itex]\displaystyle \frac{\partial f}{\partial s}\ .[/itex]

Use [itex]\displaystyle \frac{\partial u}{\partial s}\ [/itex] in place of the function, f.

Ok, so [tex] \frac{\partial}{\partial s} (f) = \frac{\partial}{\partial s} \left(\frac{\partial u}{\partial s} \right) = \frac{\partial}{\partial x} \left(\frac{\partial u}{\partial s}\right) \frac{\partial x}{\partial s} + \frac{\partial}{\partial y}\left(\frac{\partial u}{\partial s} \right) \frac{\partial y}{\partial s} [/tex]
But before I computed [tex] \frac{\partial}{\partial s}\left(\frac{\partial u}{\partial s}\right),\,\, \text{and not} \frac{\partial}{\partial x}\left(\frac{\partial u}{\partial s}\right) ?[/tex]

But before I computed [tex] \frac{\partial}{\partial s}\left(\frac{\partial u}{\partial s}\right),\,\, \text{and not} \frac{\partial}{\partial x}\left(\frac{\partial u}{\partial s}\right) ?[/tex]
I failed to notice that you were computing the wrong partial derivative. :frown:

What you need is the following:
CAF123 said:
Ok, so [tex] \frac{\partial}{\partial s} (f) = \frac{\partial}{\partial s} \left(\frac{\partial u}{\partial s} \right) = \frac{\partial}{\partial x} \left(\frac{\partial u}{\partial s}\right) \frac{\partial x}{\partial s} + \frac{\partial}{\partial y}\left(\frac{\partial u}{\partial s} \right) \frac{\partial y}{\partial s} [/tex]

Now, plug-in what you were given for [itex]\displaystyle \frac{\partial\,u}{\partial\,s}[/itex] in the statement of the problem.

The resulting expression will have some occurrences of [itex]\displaystyle \frac{\partial x}{\partial s}[/itex] and[itex]\displaystyle \frac{\partial y}{\partial s}\ .[/itex] Don't forget to change these in accordance with your previous results.

Related to How do I Compute the Second Partial Derivative of u with Respect to s?

1. What is a second partial derivative?

A second partial derivative is a mathematical concept that describes the rate of change of a function with respect to two different independent variables. It measures how much a function changes when both variables are varied simultaneously.

2. How is a second partial derivative calculated?

A second partial derivative is calculated by taking the derivative of the first partial derivative with respect to the second variable. This can be done by holding one variable constant and differentiating the function with respect to the other variable, or by using the chain rule.

3. What does a second partial derivative tell us?

A second partial derivative provides information about the curvature and shape of a function. It can tell us the direction and rate of change of the slope at a particular point on a surface.

4. Can a second partial derivative be negative?

Yes, a second partial derivative can be negative. This indicates that the function has a concave downward shape at a particular point. This means that as the independent variables increase, the function's rate of change decreases.

5. How is a second partial derivative used in science?

A second partial derivative is used in many fields of science to analyze and model complex systems. It is particularly useful in physics, engineering, and economics to understand how variables interact and affect each other. It can also be used to optimize functions and make predictions about real-world phenomena.