How do I compute the second derivative of a one-dimensional array?

In summary: Time (sec.) | Distance (m) | Velocity (m/s) | Acceleration (m/s^2) ||-------------|---------------|----------------|----------------------|| 0.0 | 0.0 | | || 0.1 | 5.0 | 50.0 | || 0.2 | 12.0 | 70.0 | 200.0 || 0.3 | 20.0 | 80.0 | 100.0 || 0.4 | 30.0 | 100.0 | 200.0
Another question, if I were to place this Spectrum into an FFT would my sampling rate(fs) be 1hz ?

Physics news on Phys.org
btb4198 said:
From this picture is looks like the bins increase by one .
One what? One eV? Could be -- please take care to always include units with the numbers. Thank you.

btb4198 said:
From this picture is looks like the bins increase by one .
I don't think so. The increments along the horizontal axis (eV) increase by 2000 eV. Since you're attempting to find an approximation to the derivative, is your math background sufficient for you to understand what you're trying to do? That is, have you taken calculus sometime in the past?

Likes berkeman
btb4198 said:
Another question, if I were to place this Spectrum into an FFT would my sampling rate(fs) be 1hz ?
No. You already have a plot of counts per fraction-of-an-eV. What domain do you want the FT to transform that into? You can't randomly do FFT processing on data and get meaningful information.

berkeman said:
You can't randomly do FFT processing on data and get meaningful information.
In short, GIGO...

Likes berkeman
berkeman said:
No. You already have a plot of counts per fraction-of-an-eV. What domain do you want the FT to transform that into? You can't randomly do FFT processing on data and get meaningful information.
In the example excel file, could you put that into an FFT? Or no ?
anyhow, The Output of the DPP is Very noise, so I wanted to filter out the noise.

btb4198 said:
In the example excel file, could you put that into an FFT? Or no ?
anyhow, The Output of the DPP is Very noise, so I wanted to filter out the noise.
Your thread is now temporarily locked. I will send you a Private Message (PM) in a few minutes to try to salvage it.

After the PM discussion with the OP, there is no reason to re-open this thread. Thanks everybody for trying to help the OP out.