Derivation of a Higher Order Derivative Test

In summary: Yes. In fact, it points out a correction that I must make by adding ##f(x_0)## to my post. I will edit and fix my post.
bagasme
TL;DR Summary
How can we generalize first and second-order derivative tests to higher derivatives?
Hello,

In second-order derivative test, the test is inconclusive when ##f''(c)=0##, so we had to generalize to higher-order derivative test.

I was wondering how such tests can be generalized and derived?

For example, how can I prove that ##f(x)=x^4## have minimum at 0?

Bagas

Physics news on Phys.org
bagasme said:
Summary:: How can we generalize first and second-order derivative tests to higher derivatives?

Hello,

In second-order derivative test, the test is inconclusive when ##f''(c)=0##, so we had to generalize to higher-order derivative test.

I was wondering how such tests can be generalized and derived?

For example, how can I prove that ##f(x)=x^4## have minimum at 0?
For this example, there's no need for a test involving higher derivatives. It's easy to see that this function has its minimum at 0 because, if x > 0, then f'(x) > 0, and if x < 0, then f'(x) < 0. In other words, f is decreasing on ##(-\infty, 0)## and is increasing on ##(0, \infty)##. It's as simple as that.

Likes jim mcnamara and FactChecker
Mark44 said:
For this example, there's no need for a test involving higher derivatives. It's easy to see that this function has its minimum at 0 because, if x > 0, then f'(x) > 0, and if x < 0, then f'(x) < 0. In other words, f is decreasing on ##(-\infty, 0)## and is increasing on ##(0, \infty)##. It's as simple as that.
Nope, I just want higher derivative test derivation.

Assume that the function is analytic. If the first non-zero derivative at the point ##x_0## is the n'th derivative, then the function behaves locally like ##f(x_0)+(f^{(n)}(x_0)/n!) (x-x_0)^n##. So ##x_0## is a local minimum if ##n## is even and ##f^{(n)}(x_0) \gt 0##.

Last edited:
Likes bagasme and pbuk
I saw the derivation on SE forum, is the explanation right?

bagasme said:
I saw the derivation on SE forum, is the explanation right?
Yes. In fact, it points out a correction that I must make by adding ##f(x_0)## to my post. I will edit and fix my post.

Related to Derivation of a Higher Order Derivative Test

1. What is the purpose of the Higher Order Derivative Test?

The Higher Order Derivative Test is used to determine the nature of a critical point in a function, whether it is a local maximum, local minimum, or saddle point.

2. How is the Higher Order Derivative Test different from the First and Second Derivative Tests?

The First Derivative Test only considers the sign of the first derivative at a critical point, while the Second Derivative Test considers the concavity of the function. The Higher Order Derivative Test takes into account the higher order derivatives to provide more information about the critical point.

3. What is the formula for the Higher Order Derivative Test?

The formula for the Higher Order Derivative Test is:
If f'(x0) = 0 and f''(x0) ≠ 0, then:
• If f''(x0) > 0, then f(x0) is a local minimum.
• If f''(x0) < 0, then f(x0) is a local maximum.
• If f''(x0) = 0, then the test is inconclusive.

4. How is the Higher Order Derivative Test used in real-world applications?

The Higher Order Derivative Test is used in optimization problems, such as finding the maximum or minimum value of a function in economics, engineering, and other fields. It can also be used in curve fitting and data analysis to determine the nature of critical points in a dataset.

5. Can the Higher Order Derivative Test be applied to all functions?

No, the Higher Order Derivative Test can only be applied to functions that are twice differentiable, meaning that the first and second derivatives exist and are continuous. It also may not be applicable to functions with discontinuities or sharp turns.