How do I compute the following differentiation by chain rule?

In summary, the requested differentiation by chain rule involves using the product rule to find the derivative of \lambda^{-1}\phi(\lambda^{-1}x). The resulting derivative is -\lambda^{-2}\phi(\lambda^{-1}x)- \lambda^{-3}x\phi'(\lambda^{-1}x). However, there seems to be some discrepancy in the given answer, as there is no "s" present in the problem statement and the value of \lambda is unclear. It is suggested to double check the problem statement and clarify any inconsistencies.
gentsagree
How do I compute the following differentiation by chain rule?

[tex]\frac{d}{d\lambda}(\lambda^{-1}\phi(\lambda^{-1}x))[/tex]

It is not a homework, but I can't figure out the exact way of getting the answer [itex]-\phi(x)-x^{s}\partial_{s}\phi(x)[/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
First, this is a product, [itex]\lambda^{-1}[/itex] times [itex]\phi(\lambda^{-1}x)[/itex] so you have to use the product rule. The derivative of [itex]\lambda^{-1}[/itex] with respect to [itex]\lambda[/itex] is [itex]-\lambda^{-2}[/itex] and the derivative of [itex]\phi(\lambda^{-1}x)[/itex] with respect to [itex]\lambda[/itex] is [itex]\phi'(\lambda^{-1}x) (-\lambda^{-2}x)[/itex].

So the derivative of [itex]\lambda^{-1}\phi(\lambda^{-1}x)[/itex] is [itex]-\lambda^{-2}\phi(\lambda^{-1}x)- \lambda^{-3}x\phi'(\lambda^{-1}x)[/itex]. That is NOT what you give but I don't know what [itex]-\phi(x)- x^s \partial_s\phi(x)[/itex] means because there is no "s" in your statement of the problem. Nor do I know where the "[itex]\lambda[/itex]" disappeared to! Are you sure you have stated the problem correctly?

Is it possible that this is the derivative at [itex]\lambda= 1[/itex]? But I still don't understand what "s" is.

Related to How do I compute the following differentiation by chain rule?

1. What is the chain rule in differentiation?

The chain rule is a method for computing the derivative of a composite function, where one function is nested inside another. It states that the derivative of the composite function is equal to the derivative of the outer function multiplied by the derivative of the inner function.

2. When should I use the chain rule in differentiation?

The chain rule should be used when differentiating a composite function, where one function is inside another. It is also used when differentiating functions that involve multiple layers of nested functions.

3. How do I apply the chain rule in differentiation?

To apply the chain rule, you first identify the outer function and the inner function. Then, you take the derivative of the outer function, leaving the inner function unchanged. Finally, you multiply this result by the derivative of the inner function.

4. Can the chain rule be used with any type of function?

Yes, the chain rule can be used with any type of function, including polynomial, exponential, logarithmic, and trigonometric functions. However, it is most commonly used with composite functions.

5. Why is the chain rule important in differentiation?

The chain rule is important because it allows us to find the derivative of complex functions by breaking them down into simpler parts. It is an essential tool in calculus and is used in many real-world applications, such as physics, engineering, and economics.