How do I combine equations for absolute independent motion with pulleys?

In summary, the problem involves pulleys and equations derived from them. The goal is to combine the equations, specifically ##l_1+l_2=S_a+4S_d##, but the process is unclear. The suggestion is to manipulate the equations in a way that eliminates certain variables, such as ##S_c## and ##S_d##. Ultimately, the focus should be on understanding the velocity and force ratios rather than finding absolute values for the lengths.
JustDerek

Homework Statement

I've been given a problem with pulleys which I have attached to this post. I've derived the equations shown in the post but I'll also write them below. What I'm struggling with is how to combine them.

Homework Equations

##l_1=S_a+2S_c##
##l_2=S_d+(S_d-S_c)##
##l_3=S_e+(S_e-S_c)##

In a similar example I've been given but with less pulleys it shows :
##l_1+l_2=S_a+4S_d##
This is the part I don't get. I don't get how the two equations combine to become that and I'm sure if I can understand that I can finish the rest.

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• IMAG0598.jpg
    IMAG0598.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 422
Physics news on Phys.org
You can add the equations in any way you want. Something that gets rid of S_c and S_d is probably useful.

As an example, you have "+2 S_c" in the first equation and "-S_c" in the second one. You can multiply the second equation (both sides!) with two, then add the two equations.

I'm not sure why you are trying to find ##l_1, l_2\ and\ l_3##. There is no absolute value for them. Changing the length of any of them does not affect the velocity ratio nor the forces.
What I think you need to know are the velocity ratios and the force ratios, which you should be able to do by inspection in a simple example like this.
I would suggest the way to deal with the forces is to label one of them F or whatever, then write the others as multiples (or fractions.)

Managed to get there myself eventually but thanks for the intended help

Related to How do I combine equations for absolute independent motion with pulleys?

1. What is absolute independent motion?

Absolute independent motion refers to the movement of an object without being affected by any external forces. This means that the object's motion is solely determined by its own properties and characteristics.

2. How is absolute independent motion different from relative motion?

Relative motion involves the movement of an object in relation to another object, whereas absolute independent motion is independent of any other objects and is solely based on the object's own characteristics.

3. Is absolute independent motion possible in real life?

In theory, absolute independent motion is possible, but in reality, it is difficult to achieve because there are always some external forces that can affect an object's motion. However, certain objects, such as satellites in outer space, can come close to experiencing absolute independent motion.

4. How does Newton's first law of motion relate to absolute independent motion?

Newton's first law of motion states that an object will remain at rest or continue in a straight line at a constant speed unless acted upon by an external force. This is essentially describing absolute independent motion, where an object's motion is not affected by any external forces.

5. Are there any real-life applications of absolute independent motion?

The concept of absolute independent motion is used in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and astronomy, to understand and predict the motion of objects. It is also important in the development of technologies like satellites and spacecraft, which rely on the principles of absolute independent motion to function properly.