200,000 psi Hydraulic pressure vessel wall thickness?

In summary, the conversation revolves around a person seeking help with determining the appropriate thickness of a cylinder wall made of high-grade 4340 vacuum melt steel. They are unsure if the stress calculators they have used take into account the material being used and are seeking guidance on how to ensure the cylinder can withstand a working pressure of 200,000 PSI. The expert advises seeking professional engineering help and cautions against relying solely on online calculators and anonymous forums.
Andersonaz1965
I'm Having a part machined with a cylinder shape approximately 14 inches in length with a cylinder hole in the center with a diameter of .930 . I have no idea how thick the cylinder wall needs to be. I have looked up and used hoop stress calculators online but I do not understand if they take into account the type of material that I am using. I will be using a high-grade 4340 vacuum melt steel. After the heat treating process is complete it will have a ultimate tensile strength of approximately 260,000 psi. I can get the material data sheet listed if that would help. This part needs to be able to withstand a 200,000 PSI working pressure. Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
Andersonaz1965 said:
I'm Having a part machined with a cylinder shape approximately 14 inches in length with a cylinder hole in the center with a diameter of .930 . I have no idea how thick the cylinder wall needs to be. I have looked up and used hoop stress calculators online but I do not understand if they take into account the type of material that I am using. I will be using a high-grade 4340 vacuum melt steel. After the heat treating process is complete it will have a ultimate tensile strength of approximately 260,000 psi. I can get the material data sheet listed if that would help. This part needs to be able to withstand a 200,000 PSI working pressure. Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
If you have no idea how thick the wall needs to be on a cylinder which is supposed to withstand 200,000 psi, you are wasting your time and money having a piece machined. What happens if the wall is too thin? What do you do then?

You have no idea what you are doing. I urge you to stop immediately and consult a professional engineer to see if it is even feasible to make such a cylinder. This is something which should not be left to stress calculators on the web and asking questions on anonymous forums.

SteamKing said it all.

Thread closed.

Related to 200,000 psi Hydraulic pressure vessel wall thickness?

1. What is a 200,000 psi hydraulic pressure vessel?

A 200,000 psi hydraulic pressure vessel is a container designed to hold fluids or gases under extremely high pressure. They are used in various industries, such as oil and gas, aerospace, and manufacturing, to store and transport substances that require high pressure for operation.

2. What is the purpose of a hydraulic pressure vessel?

The purpose of a hydraulic pressure vessel is to contain and regulate the pressure of fluids or gases. This is important in applications where a specific pressure is needed for the proper functioning of machinery or equipment.

3. How is the wall thickness of a 200,000 psi hydraulic pressure vessel determined?

The wall thickness of a 200,000 psi hydraulic pressure vessel is determined by several factors, including the material of the vessel, the pressure it is designed to withstand, and the size and shape of the vessel. Engineers use mathematical calculations and simulations to determine the appropriate wall thickness for a specific vessel.

4. What are the consequences of having a too-thin wall thickness on a hydraulic pressure vessel?

A too-thin wall thickness on a hydraulic pressure vessel can lead to structural failure and potentially catastrophic accidents. If the pressure inside the vessel exceeds its capacity, the walls may rupture or collapse, causing a release of the contained fluid or gas. This can result in serious injuries or damage to equipment and surroundings.

5. How can the wall thickness of a 200,000 psi hydraulic pressure vessel be tested?

The wall thickness of a 200,000 psi hydraulic pressure vessel can be tested using various methods, such as ultrasonic testing, X-ray inspection, and hydrostatic pressure testing. These techniques can detect any defects or weaknesses in the vessel's walls and ensure that it meets the required safety standards.