How do I calculate the moment of inertia of a torus with given parameters?

In summary, to find the moment of inertia of a torus with mass m and constant density ρ, the cross-sectional radius a and internal radius R can be used. Using the equation I= \int r^2 dm and dividing the torus into cylindrical shells, the moment of inertia about the z-axis can be found by integrating between R ± a. By taking into account the volume and surface area of the cylindrical shells, the final moment of inertia can be calculated as I_z= m(R^2 + \frac{3}{4}a^2).
rock.freak667
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

Find the moment of inertia of a torus if mass is m and density [itex]\rho[/itex] is constant.
The cross-sectional radius is 'a' and the radius is R.

Homework Equations

[tex]I= \int r^2 dm[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I looked up the answer to be

[tex]I_z= m(R^2 + \frac{3}{4}a^2)[/tex]

But I am not sure how to start. Can someone just point me in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
rock.freak667 said:
Find the moment of inertia of a torus if mass is m and density [itex]\rho[/itex] is constant.
The cross-sectional radius is 'a' and the radius is R.

Homework Equations

[tex]I= \int r^2 dm[/tex]

Hi rock.freak667! :smile:

(have a rho: ρ :wink:)

Do you mean the moment of inertia about its axis of rotational symmetry? And is R the internal radius, or the average radius?

Hint: divide the torus into cylindrical slices of thickness dr, and integrate between R ± a :wink:

Yes R is the internal radius.

So if I am considering cylindrical shells of thickness dr.

if I draw it in 2d, it makes a circle such that [itex]x^2+z^2=a^2[/itex]

the volume of a cylindrical shell is

[tex]dV= \pi z^2 dr[/tex]

dV=pi z2 dr

so the moment of inertia of the small cylindrical element is

[tex]dI_c = \frac{1}{2} (\rho \pi z^2 dr) z^2[/tex]

dIc= (1/2) (p*pi*z2 dr)z2

But this would give me the inertia not about the z-axis right but the axis perpendicular to the cylindrical shell. Which is not about the z-axis.

and also I would be integrating z w.r.t. r

Last edited:
rock.freak667 said:
the volume of a cylindrical shell is

dV=pi z2 dr

I'm not sure what your slices are, but that looks like the volume of a cylinder.

A cylindrical shell is the (thickened) surface of a cylinder. :wink:

tiny-tim said:

I'm not sure what your slices are, but that looks like the volume of a cylinder.

A cylindrical shell is the (thickened) surface of a cylinder. :wink:

so dV= (2pi*z)x dr ? Not sure on the surface area of cylindrical shell that I'm considering

(have a pi: π :wink:)
rock.freak667 said:
so dV= (2pi*z)x dr ? Not sure on the surface area of cylindrical shell that I'm considering

(2π*z)x dr ? :confused:

what are z and x ?

slice it with a cookie cutter of radius r, then slice it again with a cookie cutter of radius r + dr :smile:

Related to How do I calculate the moment of inertia of a torus with given parameters?

1. What is the formula for calculating the moment of inertia of a torus?

The formula for calculating the moment of inertia of a torus is I = 2/3 * mr^2, where m is the mass of the torus and r is the radius of the torus.

2. How does the moment of inertia of a torus compare to other shapes?

The moment of inertia of a torus is lower than that of a cylinder or a solid sphere, but higher than that of a hollow sphere or a hollow cylinder. This is because the mass of a torus is spread out through its entire volume, resulting in a lower concentration of mass at the center compared to other shapes.

3. Can the moment of inertia of a torus be negative?

No, the moment of inertia of a torus cannot be negative. It is always a positive value, representing the resistance of the torus to changes in its rotational motion.

4. How does the moment of inertia of a torus change with different dimensions?

The moment of inertia of a torus is directly proportional to the mass and the square of the radius. This means that as the mass or radius of the torus increases, the moment of inertia also increases.

5. How is the moment of inertia of a torus used in real-life applications?

The moment of inertia of a torus is an important property in rotational mechanics, and it is used in various real-life applications such as designing and analyzing rotating machinery, calculating the stability of spinning objects, and understanding the behavior of objects rolling on a curved surface.