How do I calculate the acceleration of a moving container on a specular surface?

• Thread starter Facelam
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Surface
In summary: Thank you for help!In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem involving an open container filled with water on a car that is accelerating horizontally. The angles of incidence and reflection of the water are given, and the goal is to find the container's acceleration. The conversation covers different diagrams and possible solutions, with the final conclusion being that the original diagram provided may be inaccurate and further analysis is needed to determine the forces at play.
Facelam

Homework Statement

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fimage.prntscr.com%2Fimage%2Ffa31e3ecf18e4bdab489b9cdb170fe63.png

It's open container with water which moves horizontally. It moves with some acceleration. Angle of incidence (α) and angle of reflection(β) on water are given (α=40 deg., β=20 deg.). We need to find container's acceleration.

Homework Equations

a=(v2-v1)/t (?)

The Attempt at a Solution

I've built angles of incidence and angles of reflection for both cases when v=0 and a=0 but what do to further is a big question for me (maybe this way of solution is wrong).

I'll be grateful for the help

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is this your own diagram or was it provided?
Have you stated the question, word for word, as it was given to you?
I ask because it would be unusual for a horizontally accelerating body of water to have a horizontal surface.

haruspex said:
Is this your own diagram or was it provided?
Have you stated the question, word for word, as it was given to you?
I ask because it would be unusual for a horizontally accelerating body of water to have a horizontal surface.
It's open container with water on car. Diagram was provided without vector a

Facelam said:
It's open container with water on car. Diagram was provided without vector a
Ok. Distrust the diagram.
Consider a small parcel of water on the surface, or maybe some particle floating there, just submerged. Draw a free body diagram for it. What forces are there? How do these forces account for the acceleration?
Alternatively, if you are comfortable with non-inertial frames, in the frame of reference of the car what are the forces?

haruspex said:
Ok. Distrust the diagram.
Consider a small parcel of water on the surface, or maybe some particle floating there, just submerged. Draw a free body diagram for it. What forces are there? How do these forces account for the acceleration?
Alternatively, if you are comfortable with non-inertial frames, in the frame of reference of the car what are the forces?
fa31e3ecf18e4bdab489b9cdb170fe63.png

It's a copy of diagram and it moves horizontally

Facelam said:
fa31e3ecf18e4bdab489b9cdb170fe63.png

It's a copy of diagram
this diagram shows the container, not the water surface. Note that the incident and reflected rays are not shown meeting.
In your original diagram you assumed acceleration was to the left.

haruspex said:
this diagram shows the container, not the water surface. Note that the incident and reflected rays are not shown meeting.
In your original diagram you assumed acceleration was to the left.
There is water inside that container. Yeah, and I can't understand why (how is it possible?).
Acceleration to the left is my supposition

Facelam said:
There is water inside that container. Yeah, and I can't understand why (how is it possible?).
Acceleration to the left is my supposition
Yes, there is water inside, but the diagram does not show it, so you do not know what the surface looks like.
Please try to answer my questions in post #4.

haruspex said:
Yes, there is water inside, but the diagram does not show it, so you do not know what the surface looks like.
Please try to answer my questions in post #4.
6bf7b3cf048f4767bc244ad181cd9cbc.png

Don't understand why I didn't see it

Facelam said:
6bf7b3cf048f4767bc244ad181cd9cbc.png

Don't understand why I didn't see it
That looks much better.

haruspex said:
That looks much better.
Thank you for help!

Related to How do I calculate the acceleration of a moving container on a specular surface?

What is a specular surface?

A specular surface is a surface that reflects light in a predictable manner, such as a mirror or a smooth metal surface. This is in contrast to a diffuse surface, which scatters light in all directions.

What is the process of moving a specular surface?

The process of moving a specular surface involves physically changing the position or orientation of the surface. This can be done manually or through the use of mechanical or electronic devices.

What are the potential applications of moving specular surfaces?

Moving specular surfaces have a wide range of applications, including in optics, imaging, and display technologies. They can be used to control the direction of reflected light, create dynamic images, and improve the quality of reflected images.

How does the movement of a specular surface affect the reflection of light?

The movement of a specular surface can change the direction, intensity, and/or polarization of the reflected light. This is dependent on factors such as the angle of incidence, surface material and texture, and the type of movement being applied.

What are the challenges in designing and implementing moving specular surfaces?

Designing and implementing moving specular surfaces can be challenging due to factors such as precision and accuracy requirements, potential mechanical or electronic failures, and cost considerations. Additionally, the desired movement must be carefully selected and controlled to achieve the desired effect on the reflected light.