How do I accurately model and calculate costs for different data plans?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the intersection points of three different models for current phone packages, which include an appetizer package with a monthly fee of $7 and additional gigabyte cost of $2, a quest package with a monthly fee of $40 and additional gigabyte cost of $1, and a voyager package with a monthly fee of $60 and additional gigabyte cost of $0.50. The conversation also covers the process of graphing these models on Wolfram|Alpha and finding the intersection points by setting the equations equal to each other and solving for x and y. The conversation concludes with the discussion of finding the intersection points for logarithmic and quadratic models.
whaaaaat how did you get that?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Substituting in for \(\displaystyle x\) obviously shows MarkFL's answer is correct...however, it does not directly give you \(\displaystyle a\) and \(\displaystyle b\).

To do this, re-write:

\(\displaystyle f(x) = 30 + \frac{30}{\ln\left(\frac{12}{5}\right)}\ln\left( \frac{x}{25}\right)\)

\(\displaystyle = 30 + \frac{30}{\ln\left(\frac{12}{5}\right)}\ln(x) - \frac{30\ln(25)}{\ln\left(\frac{12}{5}\right)}\)

\(\displaystyle = 30\left(1 - \frac{\ln(25)}{\ln\left( \frac{12}{5}\right)}\right) + \frac{30}{\ln\left(\frac{12}{5}\right)}\ln(x)\)

which tells you:

\(\displaystyle a = 30\left(1 - \frac{\ln(25)}{\ln\left( \frac{12}{5}\right)}\right) \approx -80.302\)

\(\displaystyle b = \frac{30}{\ln\left(\frac{12}{5}\right)} \approx 34.267\)**********

Solving the linear system:

\(\displaystyle a + b\ln(25) = 30\)
\(\displaystyle a + b\ln(60) = 60\), I obtain (subtracting the top equation from the bottom):

\(\displaystyle b(\ln(60) - \ln(25)) = 30\)

\(\displaystyle b = \frac{30}{\ln(60) - \ln(25)} = \frac{30}{\ln\left( \frac{12}{5}\right)}\)

Substituting this in the first equation:

\(\displaystyle a = 30 - b\ln(25) = 30 - \left( \frac{30}{\ln\left( \frac{12}{5}\right)} \right)\ln(25)\)

\(\displaystyle = 30\left(1 - \frac{\ln(25)}{\ln\left( \frac{12}{5}\right)}\right) \)

which also agrees with MarkFL's answer.

ohhh ok.

I appreciate all of the help I am getting, thanks guys. I am actually done with this topic, i just want to know everything exactly how it is.

Thank you! How would i put that into wolfram for the graph?

and how would i do it without the included gigabytes, and the graph for that one?

Last edited:
any help guys please? :)

Last edited: