Negative Hydrogen Ions in Cyclotrons and elsewhere

In summary, negative hydrogen ions are used in some cyclotrons to improve beam current. Hydrogen is quite electronegative and when mixed with electrons in a vacuum, they tend to form H2- molecular ions. The energy of a H2- ion is not +13eV, but rather a different value due to the repulsion between the electrons. There is no clear information on the energy needed to prompt the shedding of an electron from a H2- ion. The relative proportion of species formed by hydrogen molecules and electrons in a vacuum is not known. It is possible for (H2)- to break up and form two H- ions, but the exact process is unclear. Further research is needed to fully understand the behavior
cmb
Negative Hydrogen Ions in Cyclotrons and elsewhere

I was vaguely aware that negative hydrogen ions are used in some cyclotrons and this improves beam current.

I've been thinking about this recently after noting that hydrogen is actually quite electronegative in comparison to most metals (just less electronegative than oxygen and other things it tends to bind with).

So, presumably, if you mix hydrogen gas with electrons in a vacuum then they will tend to make H2- molecular ions. Is that right?

It sets me wondering on a few things.

Presumably, the energy of a H2- ion is +13eV?

Does it radiate the Balmer series of photons as a second electron falls into that first shell, and does anything else happen if it let's an electron go?

What is the activation energy needed to prompt it to shed the electron?

If hydrogen molecules and electrons are floating around in a vacuum with, say, 1eV electrons, do they tend to form H-, H2-, H3- and if all of the above, then what is the relative proportion of species?

Presumably if H2- meets more electrons it might break up and form two H- ions?

I can't find any texts at all about this, so if there is something then please let me know.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are mixing hydrogen molecules and isolated ions in your post, that is confusing.
cmb said:
I was vaguely aware that negative hydrogen ions are used in some cyclotrons and this improves beam current.
Do you have some examples? Tandem accelerators use H- where the electrons are removed at the positive terminal to use their acceleration voltage twice, but that is not what you are talking about.
cmb said:
Presumably, the energy of a H2- ion is +13eV?
Do you mean ##H_2^-##, the molecule?
Do you mean ##H^{2-}##, a hydrogen atom with three electrons? How would a negatively charged hydrogen bind yet another electron?
Why would you expect 13 eV to appear anywhere - and relative to what?
cmb said:
Does it radiate the Balmer series of photons as a second electron falls into that first shell, and does anything else happen if it let's an electron go?
Second electron? Are you now talking about ##H^-##? Its energy levels are different as you can't neglect the changed potential from the first electron.
cmb said:
If hydrogen molecules and electrons are floating around in a vacuum with, say, 1eV electrons, do they tend to form H-, H2-, H3- and if all of the above, then what is the relative proportion of species?
Please clarify your notation.

mfb said:
You are mixing hydrogen molecules and isolated ions in your post, that is confusing.
Sorry, what I meant for all of the above was one -ve charge on each of those, so (H2)- and (H3)-. I presume you can't have a (H2)2- because it'd just fall apart as 2 x H-.

mfb said:
Do you have some examples? Tandem accelerators use H- where the electrons are removed at the positive terminal to use their acceleration voltage twice, but that is not what you are talking about.
See at 0'14"
mfb said:
Do you mean ##H_2^-##, the molecule?
Yes
mfb said:
Do you mean ##H^{2-}##, a hydrogen atom with three electrons? How would a negatively charged hydrogen bind yet another electron?
No, I wouldn't expect that so presumed you'd see that is what I meant.

mfb said:
Why would you expect 13 eV to appear anywhere - and relative to what?Second electron?
Because if it takes 13eV of energy to shove an electron off an H atom then presumably it'd take that to put it back, and another 13eV to put another one there? I don't know, that's why I am asking.

mfb said:
Are you now talking about ##H^-##? Its energy levels are different as you can't neglect the changed potential from the first electron.
I am not sure I understand your response 'you can't neglect the changed potential'? I am assuming that if an electron drops from 'elsewhere' into the 1st shell then energetically speaking it'd be the same for the second electron as the first, but that might be completely wrong so that is why I am asking.

mfb said:
Please clarify your notation.
(H)- (H2)- (H3)-

cmb said:
See at 0'14"
They use H- because it makes the extraction of the beam from the cyclotron easy: Remove the electrons and the accelerated proton leaves the accelerator cleanly. With H+ you would need a different magnetic field at some point, then your magnetic field gets inhomogeneous and you run into all sorts of trouble.
cmb said:
Because if it takes 13eV of energy to shove an electron off an H atom then presumably it'd take that to put it back, and another 13eV to put another one there? I don't know, that's why I am asking.
13 eV is the binding energy of a single electron to a single proton. A second electron has a different binding energy already, even with a single proton, because you cannot ignore the repulsion between the electrons. A hydrogen molecule has completely different energy levels.
cmb said:
(H)- (H2)- (H3)-
Their ratio would depend on the conditions of the hydrogen.

So, are there answers to my above? Does this information exist anywhere or is it just handwavy physicists talk?

cmb said:
So, are there answers to my above?
My previous post?
cmb said:
Does this information exist anywhere or is it just handwavy physicists talk?
Make handwavy questions, get handwavy answers.

Likes Vanadium 50
mfb said:
My previous post?Make handwavy questions, get handwavy answers.
Thanks but somewhat unhelpful to my very-not-handwavy questions, which I'll pinpoint again;-

(And with your further point that it is not the same as the first electron, then is it another photon series, or just one wavelength, and if so what is that?)

If hydrogen molecules and electrons are floating around in a vacuum with, say, 1eV electrons, do they tend to form H-, (H2)-, (H3)- and if all of the above, then what is the relative proportion of species?

Presumably if (H2)- meets more electrons it might break up and form two H- ions?

And as you've now helpfully clarified that the energy for the second electron to enter the first shell is not 13eV, then what is it?

Last edited:
cmb said:
As I wrote before: It has different energy levels.
This also means different differences between energy levels. It will emit some radiation but the lines won't follow the Balmer series or any other series for neutral hydrogen.
cmb said:
That's something to look up in tables. Just 0.75 eV.
cmb said:
If hydrogen molecules and electrons are floating around in a vacuum with, say, 1eV electrons, do they tend to form H-, (H2)-, (H3)- and if all of the above, then what is the relative proportion of species?
That will depend on the properties of the hydrogen gas. That's also something I wrote before. Temperature, density, initial state if we don't talk about equilibrium, ... and also the electron density and energy distribution. You'll also need something to contain the total net charge if it is significant.
cmb said:
Presumably if (H2)- meets more electrons it might break up and form two H- ions?
That is a possible process if the electron energy is sufficient (you can calculate that). It doesn't necessarily happen.
cmb said:
And as you've now helpfully clarified that the energy for the second electron to enter the first shell is not 13eV, then what is it?
See above.

mfb said:
As I wrote before: It has different energy levels.
This also means different differences between energy levels.

OK, fine, can you suggest a location for such tables? I cannot find anything listed for ionisation energies of negative ions.

mfb said:
I get the impression that is 'just' one energy level and there aren't any more.

I'm really 'shocked' to discover at this point in my engineering life, if that is the right word, for hydrogen having a LOWER energy state than -13eV! I need some time to get over this! ;)

The reason I think that is that if you had a proton with one electron in the lowest shell and one electron in the second, it will not stay in the second shell and immediately fall straight to the inner shell, because surely the ion cannot be excited or it will lose that delicate extra electron?

I have to catch up with this new notion that that the negative ion has a LOWER ground state than the atom!

Could this also mean that a di-ionic (H2)2- ion has a lower ground state than the diatomic H2? You take two H-, which are lower ground state than two H atoms, then they might bond covalently to give this di-ionic (H2)2- ion?

mfb said:
That will depend on the properties of the hydrogen gas. That's also something I wrote before. Temperature, density, initial state if we don't talk about equilibrium, ... and also the electron density and energy distribution. You'll also need something to contain the total net charge if it is significant.That is a possible process if the electron energy is sufficient (you can calculate that). It doesn't necessarily happen.
I realize there may be lots of variables, but are there any interesting/common/astronomically interesting/industrially significant examples where there are a mix of hydrogen-molecular negative ions? If you have any references, theoretical/empirical formulae, etc., that would be good ... basically anything that can put a few physical numbers around such a behaviour?

cmb said:
OK, fine, can you suggest a location for such tables?
I linked to one in my previous post... just at the place where I quoted the number I got from there.
cmb said:
I get the impression that is 'just' one energy level and there aren't any more.
It is the ground state. There are higher states, too.
cmb said:
The reason I think that is that if you had a proton with one electron in the lowest shell and one electron in the second, it will not stay in the second shell and immediately fall straight to the inner shell, because surely the ion cannot be excited or it will lose that delicate extra electron?
It can stay in the second shell for a while until it falls down. Just like a single electron can.
cmb said:
I have to catch up with this new notion that that the negative ion has a LOWER ground state than the atom!
That just means an atom can become a stable negative ion.
cmb said:
Could this also mean that a di-ionic (H2)2- ion has a lower ground state than the diatomic H2? You take two H-, which are lower ground state than two H atoms, then they might bond covalently to give this di-ionic (H2)2- ion?
I would be really surprised if that works. It should be unbound, the H- repel each other too much.
cmb said:
I realize there may be lots of variables, but are there any interesting/common/astronomically interesting/industrially significant examples where there are a mix of hydrogen-molecular negative ions? If you have any references, theoretical/empirical formulae, etc., that would be good ... basically anything that can put a few physical numbers around such a behaviour?
You don't get significant net charge naturally and I'm not aware of applications for it either.

mfb said:
I linked to one in my previous post... just at the place where I quoted the number I got from there.
I asked for a table with the different energy levels in because you said there were different energy levels, and the one you linked to had one energy level for H, hence my confusion.

You asked for "such tables" after you asked for the total energy and I discussed a table of this value for each element with one extra electron.

NIST might have spectral data for more states, you can calculate the energy level based on that.

1. What are negative hydrogen ions and how are they formed?

Negative hydrogen ions (H^-) are atoms of hydrogen that have gained an extra electron, giving them a negative charge. They are formed through a process called dissociative attachment, where a free electron collides with a neutral hydrogen atom and attaches to it.

2. How are negative hydrogen ions used in cyclotrons?

Negative hydrogen ions are used in cyclotrons to produce a beam of high-energy particles. The ions are accelerated by an electric field and then directed into a spiral path by a magnetic field. As they gain speed, the ions are stripped of their extra electron, creating a beam of positively charged hydrogen ions.

3. What other applications do negative hydrogen ions have besides in cyclotrons?

Negative hydrogen ions have a variety of applications in fields such as plasma physics, fusion energy research, and materials science. They are also used in ion sources for mass spectrometry and in ion implantation for semiconductor manufacturing.

4. Can negative hydrogen ions be created in nature?

Yes, negative hydrogen ions can be created in nature through processes such as photoionization in the upper atmosphere and in the plasma of stars. They are also found in trace amounts in certain minerals and meteorites.

5. Are there any potential risks associated with negative hydrogen ions?

While negative hydrogen ions themselves are not considered harmful, they can react with other substances to form compounds that may be hazardous. Additionally, the high-energy particles produced by cyclotrons can pose a radiation risk if proper safety measures are not taken.