How Do Galilean Transformations Affect Measurements in Different Frames?

In summary, the problem involves defining the origin in both the train and track frames and determining the event location in both frames given a constant velocity of 25 m/s and a 12 second time interval. The x' coordinate of the front of the train is 120 m, and the rear and front of the train in the track frame are at x = 300 m and x = 420 m respectively. After 12 seconds, the front of the train has advanced 120 m along the x coordinates at the side of the track, resulting in an x coordinate of 720 m.
austim14
βI solved this problem but I do not know if it is correct becasue there is no way to check it:
Imagine that we define the rear end of a train 120 m long to long to define the origin X'=0 in the train frame and we define a certain track signal light to define the origin X=0 in the track frame. Imagine that the rear end of of the train passes this sign at t+t'=0 as the train moves in the +X direction at a constant speed of 25 m/s. 12 seconds later, the engineer turns on the train's heasdlight. A) Where does this event occur in the train frame? B) Where does this event occur in the track frame

Homework Equations

Use Galilean transformation equations for position. β is the contstant velocity.
t=t'
x'=X- β*t

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is my work: 25m/s*12s=300m
300m+120m= 420m
Train Frame 420m

420m=X-300m
X=720m
Track frame 720mIs this correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Here is my work: 25m/s*12s=300m
300m+120m= 420m
Train Frame 420m
What is the speed of the train relative to the train (=in the train frame)?

I agree with the calculations of the second part if you fix the value from (A).

I think it's the 25 m/s

If the train is 120 M long, and the rear of the train is at x' =0, what is the x' coordinate of the front of the train? (presumably the engineer is situated in the front of the train). (Assume that you have a set of coordinates permanently laid out along the floor of the train from the rear of the train to the front of the train). The front of the train is always situated at this x' location.

Assume you also have a set of coordinates permanently laid out along the side of the track starting at the signal at x = 0. At time t = t' = 0, what are the x coordinates of the rear and the front of the train? During the 12 seconds, how far does the front of the train advance along the x coordinates at the side of the track? What is its x coordinate after these 12 seconds?

I cannot determine if your solution is correct without more information. However, I can provide some feedback on your approach.

Your use of the Galilean transformation equations is correct. However, it is important to note that β represents the relative velocity between the two frames, not the constant velocity of the train. In this case, the relative velocity between the train frame and the track frame is 25 m/s.

For part A, you correctly identified that the event occurs at 420m in the train frame. However, your calculation for the position of the event in the track frame is incorrect. The correct calculation would be X=420m-25m/s*12s = 180m.

For part B, your calculation for the position in the track frame is correct. However, your calculation for the position in the train frame is incorrect. The correct calculation would be x'=720m-25m/s*12s = 420m.

In summary, it is important to use the relative velocity between the two frames when using Galilean transformations, and to be careful with your calculations to ensure they are accurate. I would recommend double-checking your work and providing more information, such as the full problem statement and any given values, to determine if your solution is correct.

Related to How Do Galilean Transformations Affect Measurements in Different Frames?

1. What are Galilean Transformations?

Galilean Transformations are a set of equations that describe the relationship between the position, velocity, and time of an object in one reference frame to another reference frame that is moving at a constant velocity relative to the first frame.

2. What is the significance of Galilean Transformations?

Galilean Transformations are significant because they allow us to understand and describe the laws of motion in different reference frames and predict how objects will behave in different scenarios. They also laid the foundation for Einstein's Theory of Special Relativity.

3. How do Galilean Transformations differ from Lorentz Transformations?

Galilean Transformations are based on classical mechanics and assume that the laws of physics are the same in all inertial reference frames. Lorentz Transformations, on the other hand, take into account the constancy of the speed of light and the relativity of time and space, as described by Einstein's Theory of Special Relativity.

4. Can Galilean Transformations be used for objects moving at high speeds?

No, Galilean Transformations are only applicable for objects moving at speeds much slower than the speed of light. At high speeds, the effects of time dilation and length contraction, as described by Special Relativity, must be considered.

5. Are Galilean Transformations still relevant in modern science?

While Galilean Transformations are not accurate for objects moving at high speeds, they are still widely used in many areas of physics and engineering, such as mechanics, fluid dynamics, and electromagnetics. They provide a good approximation for low-speed situations and are still an important tool for understanding motion and reference frames.