How do electrons and positrons collide if both have undefined position

In summary, the question is about the concept of "collision" between an electron and a positron, given that their exact positions are undefined. It is suggested that the probability of annihilation is related to the overlap of their wave functions, which decreases as they move further apart. However, they also have a long-distance Coulomb attraction and can form a system similar to a hydrogen atom. This is known as positronium, which is not stable and decays with the creation of photons.
Sam M

Homework Statement

Hi, this isn't a homework question but one that I think has bothered not just me...

According to most sources out there an electron and a positron annihilate when they 'collide' or 'encounter' each other, however we also know that the position of an electron or positron is undefined, and the probability of the electrons and positrons having exactly the same position is zero ∫(ψ^2) dx between x and x is zero, they can only be found within a certain non zero distance of each other. So, in terms of the wave functions of the electron and positron, what constitutes a collision? do the ψ^2 graphs have to line up exactly? or does it have something to do with the overlap of those graphs?

I understand this answer may be somewhat over my head!

Homework Equations

we know the wave function ψ for both the electron and the positron, and I suppose we may assume that we know x values between which both integrals for ψ^2 are normalized.

The Attempt at a Solution

given how they tend to annihilate when in close proximity I am making a blind guess that the probability of annihilation is the area of overlap of the two ψ^2 graphs, (one for the electron and one for the positron), this area decreases as they move further apart, before becoming zero at infinite distance away. This probability becomes 1 as the ψ^2 functions become perfectly aligned. this consistency check is not mathematically rigorous, but it is the best my feeble mind can come up with. A definitive answer would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Sam, welcome to PF.

You do not know the exact position of an electron or a positron, but you can make beams of both kinds of particles and direct them against each other. The probability of a positron and electron in the beams getting close has quite high probability. You are right, the wavefunction of the individual electron and that of the individual positron have to overlap so as they can interact. But they have the Coulomb attraction which is a long-distance interaction. Positron and electron attract each other and start to move towards each other. They make a system and that system can be similar as a hydrogen atom.The particles orbit about their common centre of mass, as if a single particle of reduced mass me/2 orbit around a centre. Such an "atom" is called positronium. It is not stable, it decays with the creation of photons. Read more here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Positronium

ehild

Related to How do electrons and positrons collide if both have undefined position

1. How can electrons and positrons collide if they have undefined positions?

Electrons and positrons are both subatomic particles that exhibit both wave-like and particle-like properties. This means that they can exist in multiple locations at the same time, known as an "electron cloud." When these particles collide, it is the probability of their positions overlapping that causes the collision.

2. How do scientists know that electrons and positrons have undefined positions?

Scientists use mathematical models and experiments to understand the behavior of subatomic particles. The Heisenberg uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know the exact position and momentum of a particle at the same time. This principle applies to electrons and positrons, indicating that they have undefined positions.

3. What happens when electrons and positrons collide?

When electrons and positrons collide, they annihilate each other, releasing energy in the form of gamma rays. This process is known as pair annihilation and is a fundamental process in particle physics.

4. Can electrons and positrons collide at any speed?

No, electrons and positrons must be traveling at high speeds, close to the speed of light, in order for their collisions to occur. This is because the energy required for the collision to happen is dependent on the mass and speed of the particles.

5. What is the significance of studying electron and positron collisions?

Studying electron and positron collisions helps scientists understand the fundamental properties of matter and the behavior of subatomic particles. This research has applications in fields such as particle accelerators, nuclear energy, and medical imaging.