How Much Energy Does a Gamma Particle Have After Electron-Positron Annihilation?

In summary: Beta.2B_decayIn summary, fluorine-18 is an isotope of fluorine used in positron emission tomography. Its decay equation is 18F -> 18O + e+. When the emitted positron collides with an electron, it annihilates the electron and emits 2 gamma particles in the opposite direction. The energy of one gamma particle can be determined using the equation E=mc^2, where m is the mass of the electron or positron. However, there are inconsistencies in the stated problem and it is unclear how to approach the second part of the question.
Ethan_Tab

Homework Statement

Fluorine-18 is an isotope of fluorine often used in positron emission tomography, as it undergoes beta negative decay.
  1. a) Determine the decay equation for fluorine-18.
  2. b) If the positron emitted collides with an electron, it annihilates the electron and emits 2 gamma particles in the opposite direction. Determine the energy that one gamma particle has as a result of this collision. m(electron/positron) = 0.000549 u

Homework Equations

E=mc^2

The Attempt at a Solution

1) 189F---->188O+e-1

2) I am not too sure about this one. I am assuming it has something to do with e=mc^2 but I'm not sure how to approach it

Physics news on Phys.org
Ethan_Tab said:

Homework Statement

Fluorine-18 is an isotope of fluorine often used in positron emission tomography, as it undergoes beta negative decay.
  1. a) Determine the decay equation for fluorine-18.
  2. b) If the positron emitted collides with an electron, it annihilates the electron and emits 2 gamma particles in the opposite direction. Determine the energy that one gamma particle has as a result of this collision. m(electron/positron) = 0.000549 u

Homework Equations

E=mc^2

The Attempt at a Solution

1) 189F---->188O+e-1

2) I am not too sure about this one. I am assuming it has something to do with e=mc^2 but I'm not sure how to approach it

There's a couple of inconsistencies in the stated problem and your solution:

1) If fluorine-18 is used in PET, shouldn't it give off beta+ particles (positrons) instead of beta- particles (electrons)?

2) This is not how a beta decay reaction works:
189F---->188O+e-1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beta_decay

Related to How Much Energy Does a Gamma Particle Have After Electron-Positron Annihilation?

1. What is a gamma particle?

A gamma particle, also known as a gamma ray, is a type of electromagnetic radiation that has a high frequency and short wavelength. It is the most energetic form of light and is typically emitted from the nucleus of an atom during radioactive decay.

2. How is the energy of a gamma particle measured?

The energy of a gamma particle is typically measured in units of electron volts (eV) or kilo electron volts (keV). This measurement is based on the amount of energy that is transferred from the gamma particle to a charged particle, such as an electron, during an interaction.

3. What is the relationship between energy and frequency for a gamma particle?

The energy of a gamma particle is directly proportional to its frequency. This means that as the frequency of a gamma particle increases, so does its energy. This relationship is described by the equation E = hf, where E is energy, h is Planck's constant, and f is frequency.

4. How does the energy of a gamma particle compare to other types of radiation?

The energy of a gamma particle is much higher than other types of radiation, such as visible light, infrared radiation, and ultraviolet radiation. This is because gamma particles have a shorter wavelength and a higher frequency, which results in a higher energy level.

5. What are some practical applications of gamma particles?

Gamma particles have many practical applications, including medical imaging, cancer treatment, and sterilization. They are also used in industrial processes, such as food preservation and materials testing. Additionally, gamma particles are used in scientific research to study the structure of atoms and molecules.