How Do Cardinal Number Exponents Distribute Over Multiplication?

• Thread starter saadsarfraz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Arithmetic
In summary: Starting with an h, how do you define an f and g?If h:C→ AxB is a member of (AxB)C, then define the projections hA:C→ B and hB:C→ A.
saadsarfraz

Homework Statement

prove that (a x b)[tex]^{}c[/tex] = (a[tex]^{}c[/tex] x b[tex]^{}c[/tex] where a,b,c are any cardinal numbers

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i know that they should first be interpreted as sets A,B,C but what functions should I use.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi saadsarfraz! :smile:

(use the X2 tag just above the Reply box, instead of tex :wink:)
saadsarfraz said:
prove that (a x b)[tex]^{}c[/tex] = (a[tex]^{}c[/tex] x b[tex]^{}c[/tex] where a,b,c are any cardinal numbers

AC is the set of functions from C to A …

so pick a typical function on one side of the equation and show how to define a corresponding function on the other side :wink:

Hi and thanks but I am still a bit confused so is this how i shld do it:

A^c is defined as f: C --> A and I also define B^c as g: C --> B and h can be defined as h: C --> A X B, and since assuming f and g are bijections h too is a bijection. Am I in the right direction?

saadsarfraz said:
A^c is defined as f: C --> A and I also define B^c as g: C --> B and h can be defined as h: C --> A X B, and since assuming f and g are bijections h too is a bijection. Am I in the right direction?

No, not at all …

AC is the set of all functions from C to A, not one function

i still don't know how to do it, can you please help me in this.

saadsarfraz said:
i still don't know how to do it, can you please help me in this.

Start:

Let f:A → C be a member of AC and g:B → C be a member of BC …​

and then construct a member h:AxB → C of (AxB)C using f and g :smile:

is h going to be like this h(a,b) = (f(a),g(b) next to show that this is an injection?

saadsarfraz said:
is h going to be like this h(a,b) = (f(a),g(b) next to show that this is an injection?

Hi saadsarfraz! :smile:

Yes, that's exactly right! :approve:

('cept you missed out a bracket! :wink:)

ok, now the other way round …

starting with an h, how do you define an f and g? :smile:

I don't know how to do define an f and g starting with an h?

saadsarfraz said:
I don't know how to do define an f and g starting with an h?

Hint: if h:C→ AxB is a member of (AxB)C, then define the projections hA:C→ B and hB:C→ A :wink:

h_a going to be (B^c) and h_b(c) = (A^c)

saadsarfraz said:
h_a going to be (B^c) and h_b(c) = (A^c)

mmm :frown: … i suspect you've got it …

but what you've actually written makes no sense​

Related to How Do Cardinal Number Exponents Distribute Over Multiplication?

What is Basic Cardinal Arithmetic?

Basic Cardinal Arithmetic is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of numbers and their properties. It involves operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

What are the basic operations in Cardinal Arithmetic?

The basic operations in Cardinal Arithmetic are addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. Addition involves combining two or more numbers to get a sum, while subtraction involves taking away one number from another. Multiplication is the process of repeated addition, and division is the process of dividing a number into equal parts.

What is the difference between Cardinal Arithmetic and Ordinal Arithmetic?

Cardinal Arithmetic deals with the study of numbers and their properties, while Ordinal Arithmetic deals with the study of the order and position of numbers. In other words, Cardinal Arithmetic focuses on the quantity of numbers, while Ordinal Arithmetic focuses on the rank or place of numbers.

What are the properties of numbers in Cardinal Arithmetic?

The properties of numbers in Cardinal Arithmetic include commutativity, associativity, distributivity, and the identity property. Commutativity means that the order of numbers does not affect the result of an operation. Associativity means that the grouping of numbers does not affect the result. Distributivity involves the distribution of a number over addition or subtraction. The identity property states that any number added or multiplied by zero will result in the same number.

How can Cardinal Arithmetic be applied in real life?

Cardinal Arithmetic has many practical applications in daily life. It is used in everyday transactions such as shopping and budgeting. It is also used in fields such as engineering, finance, and science to solve complex problems. Additionally, understanding Cardinal Arithmetic is essential for building a strong foundation in mathematics and problem-solving skills.