How Do Basic Physics Equations Apply to Sports Scenarios?

In summary, when driving at 70 mph, if you look away from the road for two seconds, you traveled 2.5 miles. There are two ways to do this problem- one easy and one hard. The easy way is to translate seconds into hours and then do the math. The hard way is to convert kilometers into miles and do the math.
Simmerso

Homework Statement

1. If you are driving 70 mi/hr and you look to the side for 2 seconds, how far did you travel during this inattentive period?

2. A pilot determines that his plane can accelerate at a rate of 10,000 mi/hr². If the runway is .5 miles long and he must be traveling at 100 mi/hr in order to leave the ground, should he attempt to take-off?

3. A baseball is hit straight up into the air with a speed of 25 m/s. How high does it go and how long is it in the air?

Homework Equations

x=Vot+1/2at²
v=Vo+at
V² =V² o+2ax

acceleration due to gravity: g=9.8 m/s²

Everything is in absence of air resistance and any other outside forces.

x=distance covered
v=initial velocity
t=time
a=acceleration
v=speed or velocity

units=m/s²
The little "o"s next to the Vs are just initial velocity, if there is no inition velocity (starting at 0) then that part of the equation can be marked out.

The Attempt at a Solution

1. Here I am somewhat confused on which equation to choose, it can't be the second one because I am measure distance (x). I'll go with the first one.

x=Vot+1/2at²

X=(70 miles/hr)(2s)
Because there is no acceleration I am guessing I mark that part of the equation out.
Now I will attempt to convert for like units...

I really have no idea what I'm doing

2. I have notes for this, I'm just having trouble understanding them. The basic question is what is X when the plane reaches 100 mph.
V² =Vo² +2ax
100/2a=2ax/2a
100/2a=x
100/2(10,000 mi/hr² =.5mile

3. I have notes for this one as well. I think in class we went over 2 ways of doing it, one easy, one hard. Is it that I can just move the decimal place over in the 25 m/s and multiply it by two?
example: 25 m/s, so 2.5 x 2 (multiply by 2 for time up and time coming down)

Thanks for helping on any of these.

-Michael

Physics news on Phys.org
#1 is basically a unit conversion problem. You need to convert it into distance / second

I'll make up different numbers and show you how to do it.

Let's say you were given 50 km / minute. There are 60 seconds in a minute so this equals 50 km / 60 seconds. You can now divide 50/60 and get .833 km / s. Doing this speed, if you took your eyes off the road for 3 seconds, you will have traveled 0.833 km/s * 3 s = 2.5 km.

You could also solve this by translating seconds into hours. Then your proglem would read that you took your eyes off the road for 2/3600 of an hour while traveling at 70 mi/hr.

A sport is a physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively, sports can be done on land, in water, in the air and in space.

http://www.basicsportrules.com/"

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to How Do Basic Physics Equations Apply to Sports Scenarios?

1. What is the relationship between force and acceleration in sports?

The relationship between force and acceleration in sports is described by Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force applied to it, and inversely proportional to its mass. In sports, this means that the more force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be, and the less mass an object has, the greater its acceleration will be.

2. How does friction affect sports performance?

Friction is a force that acts in the opposite direction of motion and can greatly impact sports performance. In sports that involve running, jumping, or sliding, friction can either help or hinder an athlete's performance. For example, the right amount of friction between a runner's shoe and the track can provide the necessary traction for optimal performance, while too much friction can slow them down. In sports like ice skating or skiing, minimizing friction is important for speed and maneuverability.

3. What is the role of momentum in sports?

Momentum is a measure of an object's mass and velocity and is an important concept in sports. In many sports, athletes use momentum to their advantage by building up speed and then transferring that momentum into a powerful movement, such as a swing or throw. In sports like football or hockey, momentum plays a crucial role in collisions between players, as the higher the momentum of an object, the greater its force of impact will be.

4. How do sports equipment and gear impact performance?

Sports equipment and gear can greatly impact an athlete's performance by affecting factors such as speed, force, and balance. For example, the design and weight of a golf club can greatly impact the distance and accuracy of a golfer's shot. In sports like cycling or swimming, the use of aerodynamic equipment can significantly improve an athlete's speed and reduce air or water resistance. In addition, protective gear such as helmets and padding can help prevent injuries and improve an athlete's confidence and performance.

5. What are the principles of projectile motion in sports?

Projectile motion is the curved path that an object takes when it is thrown or launched into the air. In sports, this concept is important in activities such as throwing a ball, hitting a baseball, or kicking a soccer ball. The principles of projectile motion include the angle of release, the initial velocity, and the effects of gravity and air resistance. Understanding these principles can help athletes improve their accuracy and distance in sports that involve throwing or kicking objects.