How Do Angular Momentum Operators Satisfy Algebraic Equations?

These eigenvalues can be calculated using the characteristic equation det(L^{3}_{x}-\lambda I)=0, where I is the identity matrix and \lambda is the eigenvalue. Solving this equation will give you the roots of the algebraic equations.I hope this helps clear up your confusion. Let me know if you have any other questions. In summary, the problem asks you to find the matrix representations for L^{3}_{x},L^{3}_{y},L^{3}_{z} and use them to show that L_{x},L_{y},L_{z} satisfy the same algebraic equations. The roots of the algebraic equations correspond to the eigenvalues of the matrices L^{3}_{x},L
atomicpedals

Homework Statement

Using matrix representations find [itex]L^{3}_{x},L^{3}_{y},L^{3}_{z}[/itex] and from these show that [itex]L_{x},L_{y},L_{z}[/itex] satisfy the same algebraic equations. What are the roots of the algebraic equations?

2. The attempt at a solution

My problem is that I'm not sure what this question is asking me. I know what matrix reprsentations are; for example

[tex]L_z=\hbar \left( \begin{array}{ccc}
1 & 0 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & -1 \end{array} \right)[/tex]
But I've never before come upon reference to [itex]L^{3}_{x},L^{3}_{y},L^{3}_{z}[/itex]; what would matrix representations for these look like? Then there's the question about finding the roots of the algebraic equation; when talking about [itex]L_x[/itex] I would tend to think of [itex]L_x=yp_z-zp_y[/itex] as being the algebraic equations. If I'm correct then there is some analog for [itex]L^{3}_{x}[/itex]? How does that flow from the matrix representation?

I'm horribly confused here, any help is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. It seems like the problem is asking you to find the matrix representations for L^{3}_{x},L^{3}_{y},L^{3}_{z} and then use those matrices to show that L_{x},L_{y},L_{z} satisfy the same algebraic equations. Let me explain in more detail.

The matrices for L^{3}_{x},L^{3}_{y},L^{3}_{z} represent the third components of the angular momentum operators in the x, y, and z directions, respectively. They can be written as:

L^{3}_{x}=\hbar \left( \begin{array}{ccc}
0 & 0 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & -1 \\
0 & 1 & 0 \end{array} \right)

L^{3}_{y}=\hbar \left( \begin{array}{ccc}
0 & 0 & 1 \\
0 & 0 & 0 \\
-1 & 0 & 0 \end{array} \right)

L^{3}_{z}=\hbar \left( \begin{array}{ccc}
0 & -1 & 0 \\
1 & 0 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 0 \end{array} \right)

Now, using these matrices, you can show that L_{x},L_{y},L_{z} satisfy the same algebraic equations by calculating L^{3}_{x}L^{3}_{y}-L^{3}_{y}L^{3}_{x}, L^{3}_{y}L^{3}_{z}-L^{3}_{z}L^{3}_{y}, and L^{3}_{z}L^{3}_{x}-L^{3}_{x}L^{3}_{z}. You should find that these expressions are equal to i\hbar L_{z}, -i\hbar L_{x}, and i\hbar L_{y}, respectively. This shows that L_{x},L_{y},L_{z} satisfy the same algebraic equations as L^{3}_{x},L^{3}_{y},L^{3}_{z}.

As for the roots of the algebraic equations, they correspond to the eigenvalues of the matrices L^{3}_{x},L^{3}_{y},L^{3}_{z}.

Related to How Do Angular Momentum Operators Satisfy Algebraic Equations?

1. What is Angular Momentum Operator?

Angular Momentum Operator is a mathematical operator used in quantum mechanics to describe the angular momentum of a particle. It is denoted by the symbol L and is represented by a vector quantity with magnitude and direction.

2. What is the significance of Angular Momentum Operator?

Angular Momentum Operator is important because it helps in understanding the properties of particles in quantum mechanics. It is used to calculate the angular momentum of a particle in a given physical system and can also be used to predict the behavior of the particle.

3. How is Angular Momentum Operator related to the Uncertainty Principle?

According to the Uncertainty Principle, it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle simultaneously. Similarly, the angular momentum operator and its corresponding observable (angular momentum) also follow this principle. This means that the more accurately we know the angular momentum, the less accurately we know its corresponding operator and vice versa.

4. What is the difference between Orbital Angular Momentum Operator and Spin Angular Momentum Operator?

Orbital Angular Momentum Operator is associated with the motion of a particle around an axis, while Spin Angular Momentum Operator is associated with the intrinsic angular momentum of a particle. In simpler terms, orbital angular momentum is related to the motion of a particle in space, while spin angular momentum is related to the internal properties of a particle.

5. How is Angular Momentum Operator used in real-life applications?

Angular Momentum Operator is used in various fields such as quantum mechanics, atomic physics, and nuclear physics to understand the behavior of particles and their interactions. It is also used in the development of technologies such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectrometers.