Angular momentum operator algebra

In summary, the conversation is discussing the concept of angular momentum and the equations associated with it. The speakers are discussing the eigenvalues of ##L^{2}## and ##L_{z}## and how to determine them based on the values of ##l## and ##m##. They also mention the use of raising and lowering operators, but ultimately conclude that it is not necessary to consider them in this case.
gfd43tg
Gold Member

Homework Statement

upload_2015-4-12_18-18-23.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This whole thing about angular momentum has me totally confused and stumped, but I am trying this problem given in a youtube video lecture I watched.

I know of this equation
##L^{2} = L_{\pm}L_{\mp} + L_{z}^{2} \mp \hbar L_{z}##
##L^{2}f = \lambda f##
##L_{z}f = \mu f##

In the case ##L^{2}f = 2 \hbar^{2}f##, the eigenvalue ##\lambda = 2 \hbar^{2}##

So I expand
$$L^{2}f = (L_{-}L_{+} + L_{z}^{2} + \hbar L_{z})f$$
But, I don't know what ##L_{z}## should be. Also, how do I know if I should pick ##L_{-}L_{+}## or ##L_{+}L_{-}##?

Attachments

• upload_2015-4-11_20-10-8.png
    upload_2015-4-11_20-10-8.png
    18 KB · Views: 436
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm a little puzzled by the examples, because normally [itex]L^2[/itex] has eigenvalues [itex]\hbar^2 l(l+1)[/itex], where [itex]l[/itex] is a nonnegative integer. For your second example, [itex]l[/itex] would have to be fractional. It's possible for the total angular momentum (which includes both spin angular momentum and orbital angular momentum) to be fractional, but usually [itex]L[/itex] refers to orbital angular momentum.

But in any case, it's overkill to consider raising and lowering operators. The fact that's relevant is that if [itex]L^2[/itex] has the value [itex]\hbar^2 l(l+1)[/itex], then [itex]L_z[/itex] can take on any of the following values:
  • [itex]l[/itex]
  • [itex]l-1[/itex]
  • [itex]l-2[/itex]
  • [itex]-l[/itex]

Likes gfd43tg
Hi stevedaryl,

sorry for my late response. I was able to go to my prof's office and get some help on this. Using your post alone, I was not equipped with the necessary understanding to answer this question. I needed to understand the sphere with cones inside to get some intuition for what ##l## and ##m## mean. After rereading your response, it makes sense what you were saying, I just needed to know about ##m##

Related to Angular momentum operator algebra

1. What is the angular momentum operator in quantum mechanics?

The angular momentum operator is a mathematical operator used in quantum mechanics to describe the rotational motion of a particle. It is denoted by the symbol L and is a vector quantity consisting of three components: Lx, Ly, and Lz.

2. How is the angular momentum operator algebraically represented?

The angular momentum operator is represented by the following algebraic expression: L = iħ(x∂/∂y - y∂/∂x). This means that the angular momentum operator is equal to the imaginary unit (i) multiplied by the reduced Planck's constant (ħ) and the partial derivative of the position vector with respect to the momentum vector.

3. What is the commutation relation between the angular momentum operator components?

The commutation relation between the three components of the angular momentum operator is given by: [Lx, Ly] = iħLz, [Ly, Lz] = iħLx, and [Lz, Lx] = iħLy. This shows that the components of the angular momentum operator do not commute, meaning that their order of multiplication matters.

4. How do the eigenvalues of the angular momentum operator correspond to physical quantities?

The eigenvalues of the angular momentum operator represent the possible values of the angular momentum of a particle in a given quantum state. These values correspond to physical quantities such as the magnitude and direction of the particle's spin, as well as its orbital angular momentum.

5. What is the significance of the angular momentum operator in quantum mechanics?

The angular momentum operator is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and is used to describe the rotational behavior of particles on a microscopic scale. It is also an important tool in understanding the properties of atoms, molecules, and other quantum systems. Additionally, the angular momentum operator plays a crucial role in the study of angular momentum conservation in physical systems.