How difficult or easy is it to work as a Computer Science

In summary, the conversation touches on the level of difficulty in starting a career in Computer Science compared to medical school, the availability of high-paying jobs in the field, and the importance of pursuing a career based on personal interest rather than solely for financial gain. The expert also mentions the varying levels of challenge in earning a Computer Science degree and the potential for specialization within the field. Additionally, they provide an example of a specialized programming skill that is in high demand.
James3221
I know that Computer Science is challenging in college, but how challenging or difficult is it when you start working. For example I know medical school is brutal, but being a doctor is very easy. Is this true with Computer science,? ex. Computer Programer, Software developer, Software engineer etc.
I don't have much experience with Computer Science, I am thinking about majoring in it. Is it something you learn very fast? And do the schools train you and prepare you well for the workforce.
PLEASE ANSWER

Physics news on Phys.org
James3221 said:
I know that Computer Science is challenging in college, but how challenging or difficult is it when you start working. For example I know medical school is brutal, but being a doctor is very easy. Is this true with Computer science,? ex. Computer Programer, Software developer, Software engineer etc.
I don't have much experience with Computer Science, I am thinking about majoring in it. Is it something you learn very fast? And do the schools train you and prepare you well for the workforce.
PLEASE ANSWER

It depends on the job. There are positions with non-profits that are more lax multi-tasking and pay less for instance, but let me tell you: Those high pay guys and gals EARN their income. I'm talking 60+ hours weeks, with their minds totally given to software, living and breathing it. Of course as they establish their niche, the don't have to work so much. But for a real software job, one must be prepared to work incredibly hard at the beginning, its a given.

Its important to understand the high paying jobs are for those who make the cut, and the low paying jobs are actually more rare. I imagine this is different than for a Doctor, where just getting through med school could find a country clinic somewhere that would appreciate them, even if they were essentially C students. (keeping in mind that a low paid doctor makes more than most) Also be aware that an 8 year degree in CS (doctorate level) is VERY hard, for the best of the best, probably more intellectually demanding than even an MD.

It should be about what you love to do. Being a doctor or CS major, or lawyer for the money if you aren't interested in these things is a recipe for some unhappiness.

Likes James3221
Fooality said:
It depends on the job. There are positions with non-profits that are more lax multi-tasking and pay less for instance, but let me tell you: Those high pay guys and gals EARN their income. I'm talking 60+ hours weeks, with their minds totally given to software, living and breathing it. Of course as they establish their niche, the don't have to work so much. But for a real software job, one must be prepared to work incredibly hard at the beginning, its a given.

Its important to understand the high paying jobs are for those who make the cut, and the low paying jobs are actually more rare. I imagine this is different than for a Doctor, where just getting through med school could find a country clinic somewhere that would appreciate them, even if they were essentially C students. (keeping in mind that a low paid doctor makes more than most) Also be aware that an 8 year degree in CS (doctorate level) is VERY hard, for the best of the best, probably more intellectually demanding than even an MD.

It should be about what you love to do. Being a doctor or CS major, or lawyer for the money if you aren't interested in these things is a recipe for some unhappiness.

Thank you for your response. I really appreciate it.

Fooality said:
the high paying jobs are for those who make the cut
Some high paying jobs pay a lot because it's a job that most programmers would not want to get involved with or one that requires knowing or learning specialized skills that won't be useful for any future job. These also tend to be long hour jobs for the same reason, most programmers aren't interested, so the company can't hire enough programmers at any price, and those that do get hired work long hours.

My impression of how challenging earning a Computer Science degree depends on the school, and what is required (how much math, how advanced or specialized the coursework is, ... ) . The actual programming jobs are simiar. Normally you start out as part of a team and given the easier assignments. You then advance and usually specialize into a specific skill set.

Likes James3221
rcgldr said:
Some high paying jobs pay a lot because it's a job that most programmers would not want to get involved with or one that requires knowing or learning specialized skills that won't be useful for any future job. These also tend to be long hour jobs for the same reason, most programmers aren't interested, so the company can't hire enough programmers at any price, and those that do get hired work long hours.

Yeah, good point. COBOL programmers are one I've seen surprisingly in demand:
http://www.indeed.com/cmp/Five-Stones-Research-Corporation/jobs/Senior-Programmer-0e9ee32ed702c200

Likes James3221
I wonder where you got the impression that "being a doctor is very easy"!

Related to How difficult or easy is it to work as a Computer Science

1. How difficult is it to get a job in Computer Science?

The difficulty of getting a job in Computer Science largely depends on the individual's qualifications and the demand for professionals in the field. With a strong background in programming and problem-solving skills, it can be relatively easy to find a job in Computer Science. However, the competition for top positions at prestigious companies can be tough.

2. Is the workload in Computer Science heavy?

Working in Computer Science can involve long hours and a heavy workload, especially during project deadlines. However, the workload can vary depending on the specific job and company culture. Some companies may have a more balanced workload, while others may require more intense hours during certain periods.

3. Do I need a strong background in math to work in Computer Science?

While a strong foundation in math is beneficial in Computer Science, it is not always a requirement. Many programming languages and tools used in the field have built-in functions for mathematical operations, making it possible for individuals with varying levels of math proficiency to work in Computer Science. However, advanced math skills can be useful for certain roles such as data science or artificial intelligence.

4. How often do I need to update my skills in Computer Science?

Technology is constantly evolving, and as a result, the skills needed in Computer Science are also constantly changing. It is essential to continuously update your skills and stay current with new technologies and programming languages to remain competitive in the job market. This can be done through online courses, workshops, and on-the-job training.

5. Is it necessary to have a degree in Computer Science to work in the field?

While a degree in Computer Science or a related field can provide a strong foundation of knowledge and skills, it is not always necessary to have one to work in the field. Many companies value practical experience and a portfolio of projects more than a degree. It is possible to gain the necessary skills through self-study, boot camps, or coding schools. However, having a degree can open up more job opportunities and potentially lead to higher-paying positions.