How did time move forward during the Big Bang?

In summary: I'm not sure what to say. I'm just trying to understand how general relativity and expanding universe fit together.In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of time inside a black hole and the misconception that time runs backwards. It is clarified that time moves normally for someone inside a black hole, but appears to slow down for an outside observer. The question is also raised about how physical processes in the early, dense universe were able to move forward despite the strong gravitational forces. It is explained that the rapid expansion of the universe at this time meant that matter only interacted with a small portion of its surroundings, leading to a different situation than in a collapsing star.
DAirey
As I understand it, time runs backwards inside a black hole. If the universe were far denser than a black hole when the universe was a fraction of a second old, then how did physical processes ever move forward? That is, how can a clock advance in something as dense as the initial universe?

Space news on Phys.org
DAirey said:
As I understand it, time runs backwards inside a black hole.
Here's your problem. This is not true. I think this myth that was regarded as truth was from a sci-fi book. Time moves slower and slower as you approach denser objects and relativistic effects increase. The idea was that as black holes get infinitely dense, time starts going backwards.

This is a misconception. It arises from the fact that nothing becomes infinitely dense and even if it did, time would "stop". I hope you understand a little bit more about time now.

lekh2003 said:
Time moves slower and slower as you approach denser objects and relativistic effects increase.
No, as you approach a black hole, time moves forwards exactly the same way it does if you were somewhere else. Time slows only from the reference frame of an outside observer, so actually the opposite of your statement is true. As you approach a black hole, time does it's normal thing for you and the rest of the universe speeds up.

newjerseyrunner said:
No, as you approach a black hole, time moves forwards exactly the same way it does if you were somewhere else. Time slows only from the reference frame of an outside observer, so actually the opposite of your statement is true. As you approach a black hole, time does it's normal thing for you and the rest of the universe speeds up.
Well that's being overly technical. Both of our statements might be opposite but are equally as true depending on the reference frames which are both valid.

lekh2003 said:
Well that's being overly technical. Both of our statements might be opposite but are equally as true depending on the reference frames which are both valid.
I disagree. I think njrunner correct your misleading statement.

phinds said:
I disagree. I think njrunner correct your misleading statement.
Ok, thanks for the clarification if I was wrong.

lekh2003 said:
Ok, thanks for the clarification if I was wrong.
No, I didn't say you were wrong, I said you were misleading. Your statement, to a newbie, implies that time ACTUALLY slows down for an infalling person. You are correct that your statement is true for a distant observer

phinds said:
No, I didn't say you were wrong, I said you were misleading. Your statement, to a newbie, implies that time ACTUALLY slows down for an infalling person. You are correct that your statement is true for a distant observer
Ahhh. I see what you are saying. I'm really sorry for misleading.

I know what you mean since I had the same misconception when I was a newbie that time literally slowed down. It only seems like it slows down to people around you, but it doesn't for you (directly).

lekh2003 said:
Ahhh. I see what you are saying. I'm really sorry for misleading.
No worries, science people have to chose their wording very carefully. Everyone in here has said ambiguous things before that needed clarification. I know I certainly have.

DAirey said:
As I understand it, time runs backwards inside a black hole.

It's more complex than that. More like "time runs to the center inside a black hole". After you cross event horizon, all possible future-oriented timelike trajectories for you, all possible futures, go towards and end on the singularity. You can not avoid getting there just like you can not avoid arriving into tomorrow.

If the universe were far denser than a black hole when the universe was a fraction of a second old, then how did physical processes ever move forward?

This is a good question since it uncovers one important misconception about BB: very early Universe was very dense, yes, but it also was expanding VERY quickly. For example, at the age of 1 second since BB the entire volume of what we today call "Observable Universe" expanded to ~8 light years radius. Expansion rate of 8ly/s! (Light in flat Minkowski spacetime can't even reach the Moon from the Earth in one second.)

Thus, very dense matter/energy at any chosen point did not gravitationally "feel" _all_ the matter around it - it could only interact with fairly small immediate neighboorhood, and most of those surroundings were receding from it at velocities comparable to speed of light. This is quite different situation from, say, the core of a collapsing star.

Likes newjerseyrunner
nikkkom said:
It's more complex than that. More like "time runs to the center inside a black hole". After you cross event horizon, all possible future-oriented timelike trajectories for you, all possible futures, go towards and end on the singularity. You can not avoid getting there just like you can not avoid arriving into tomorrow.
I'm even more confused now. If all possible futures go towards and end on the singularity, then how did we escape it?

DAirey said:
If all possible futures go towards and end on the singularity

That's not what he said. He said all possible futures inside the horizon. Big difference.

DAirey said:
how did we escape it?

By not being inside the horizon.

DAirey said:
I'm even more confused now. If all possible futures go towards and end on the singularity, then how did we escape it?
If you are referring to the Big Bang, it was not a black hole. The energy densities were enormous but the universe itself was flying apart way faster than it could collapse in a process called inflation.

Related to How did time move forward during the Big Bang?

1. How did time begin during the Big Bang?

According to the Big Bang theory, time began at the moment of the singularity, which is when the universe was infinitely dense and hot. This singular point marked the beginning of time, space, and matter.

2. Did time move forward during the Big Bang?

Yes, time moved forward during the Big Bang just as it does in our current understanding of the universe. The expansion of the universe and the cooling of matter over time are evidence of time moving forward.

3. Was time affected by the extreme conditions of the Big Bang?

It is believed that time was affected by the extreme conditions of the Big Bang. The high energy and density of the early universe caused time to behave differently than it does now, but it still moved forward.

4. How can we measure time during the Big Bang?

Scientists use various methods to measure time during the Big Bang, such as observing the cosmic microwave background radiation and studying the expansion rate of the universe. These methods help us understand the timeline of events during the Big Bang.

5. Is time the same throughout the entire universe during the Big Bang?

During the Big Bang, the universe was expanding and evolving at different rates in different regions, so time may not have been exactly the same everywhere. However, overall, time still moved forward in a consistent manner throughout the universe.