How Did the Moose With a Tire Around Its Neck Manage to Give Birth?

• Thread starter arildno
  • Start date
In summary, a moose cow has birthed a calf, but trouble is looming on the horizon. The moose is on the list for animals to be killed during the Autumn moose hunt, and the hunters are arguing over whether or not to kill the calf.
arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Tyred moose has birthed a calf!

During last Winter, a moose cow was observed who had a car tyre stuck around its neck. (Pictures in link)
Now, she has birthed a calf, but troubles are looming on the horizon:

Ms. Tyra Moose and her calf has been placed on top of list for animals to be killed during the Autumn moose hunt.

http://www.nrk.no/nordland/na-har-dekkelgen-fatt-en-kalv-1.11094973

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Physics news on Phys.org
arildno said:
During last Winter, a moose cow was observed who had a car tyre stuck around its neck. (Pictures in link)
Now, she has birthed a calf, but troubles are looming on the horizon:

Ms. Tyra Moose and her calf has been placed on top of list for animals to be killed during the Autumn moose hunt.

http://www.nrk.no/nordland/na-har-dekkelgen-fatt-en-kalv-1.11094973
What!? :cry:

Yes, they made a couple of desultory attempts to sedate her during Winter, but didn't come close enough.

NOW, they are arguing that they might disturb/break up the mother/child relationship if they try to sedate her.

Hence, more merciful to kill'em both, don't you think? :devil:

arildno said:
Yes, they made a couple of desultory attempts to sedate her during Winter, but didn't come close enough.

NOW, they are arguing that they might disturb/break up the mother/child relationship if they try to sedate her.

Hence, more merciful to kill'em both, don't you think? :devil:
That's horrible! It's moose abuse! :cry:

It looks like it can live with the tyre, why do they have to kill it?

I don't think it is a matter of "having" to kill. I understand they do kill some part of moose population each year to limit the numbers - and animal with a tyre on the neck is definitely a better target than the one without a tyre.

mfb said:
It looks like it can live with the tyre, why do they have to kill it?

They have a quota on 23 moose to be killed up there, I'm sure it will be an extra thrill for the hunters who gets to lay down Tyra.

Why not send them to Moose Land? :cry:

Gad said:
Why not send them to Moose Land? :cry:

At the very least, we should require that Inspector Moose investigates the case, and endeavours to find out the truth behind this.

Moose are delicious, and much leaner than cattle.

Danger said:
Moose are delicious, and much leaner than cattle.

I wouldn't want bits of that tyre in my moose stew, though.

Not an issue, I have every confidence that my wife could take down that moose without hitting the tire :).

GEEE people, what are you talking about! *happy thoughts-happy thoughts*

Related to How Did the Moose With a Tire Around Its Neck Manage to Give Birth?

What is a "tyred moose"?

A tyred moose is a term used to describe a female moose that is in the late stages of pregnancy and is showing visible signs of being heavily pregnant, such as a distended belly or difficulty moving.

How long is the gestation period for moose?

The gestation period for moose is approximately 8 months.

Do moose give birth to more than one calf at a time?

No, moose typically only give birth to one calf at a time. However, in rare cases, they may give birth to twins.

What is the mortality rate for moose calves?

The mortality rate for moose calves varies depending on factors such as predation and environmental conditions. However, on average, about 50% of moose calves do not survive their first year of life.

How long do moose calves stay with their mothers?

Moose calves typically stay with their mothers for about a year, until the next breeding season. During this time, they learn important survival skills from their mothers, such as how to forage for food and avoid predators.

Back