How did the ice age lead to consciousness and individualism?

• Thread starter ChongFire
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's belief that consciousness and self-awareness evolved due to climate change and the need for survival during the ice age. The theory of evolution and the idea that the strongest individuals will survive is also mentioned. The conversation also touches on the idea of "differance" and how interactions with others can shape one's sense of self. There is also a discussion about the group response to nature and the concept of the one and the whole. However, there is a disagreement about whether or not this group response truly exists. The conversation also acknowledges that there are still many unknown factors and theories surrounding the evolution of consciousness.
ChongFire
To fully comprehend my belief on what consciousness is exactly I will explain to you how I processed the information at hand. I initially look at evolution. It is my belief that it was how the worlds climate changed that led us to conscience individuals. It all started with the ice age. Darwins theory of evolution states the strongest will survive. In this case when food supplies became scarce only the smartest of the early humans would be able to find it. This would enhance memory capacity and the ability to come up with original ideas. Then after this period of increasing mental capacity the ice age ended. When this happened food became more easy to come by so our mental capacity was not being challanged anymore. With the food easier to find we spent less time looking for it and more time among other early humans. Our memory and ability to come up with original thoughts was then tuned off of how to get food and onto each other. We eventually came to understand simple ideas like me and you. The more we studied each other the more we discovered that "You are different then me." It was through co-existence that we became conscience and self aware.

Physics news on Phys.org
I can see your point: Without "differance" there can be no distinction of "self"
And this "differance" only comes about when I am involved with other humans.
On a mountain with only myself, I feel a strong "connection" with Nature; as if I were one with it. In contrast, within a random group of people I notice "differences" which tend to strengthen my sense of individuality and "separateness".

ChongFire said:
..It is my belief that it was how the worlds climate changed that led us to conscience individuals. It all started with the ice age. Darwins theory of evolution states the strongest will survive. In this case when food supplies became scarce only the smartest of the early humans would be able to find it. This would enhance memory capacity and the ability to come up with original ideas. Then after this period of increasing mental capacity the ice age ended.
I see a major factual problem here. Homo sapiens (the human species) evolved out of Africa many millions of years before "ice age", which at best is only 10,000's of years in past.

pallidin said:
On a mountain with only myself, I feel a strong "connection" with Nature; as if I were one with it. In contrast, within a random group of people I notice "differences" which tend to strengthen my sense of individuality and "separateness".
Think rock concerts or football games etc.--random groups of people that become one with a thing--i.e. music, sport, etc. Have you ever made visit to an overlook with a random group of people (say waterfall)--do you not think there is a group response to nature ? The one and the whole form a dialectic, you cannot understand the one without the other.

Rade said:
Have you ever made visit to an overlook with a random group of people (say waterfall)--do you not think there is a group response to nature ?

Yes I have and no I don't. The people I have been with on these occasions (Yosemite, Grand Teton, etc.) behaved pretty much like people on a downtown street in my opinion. "Who's got the camera?", "Get out of there Jimmy!", "Boy I think my feet are hurting too much to go on."

Rade said:
I see a major factual problem here. Homo sapiens (the human species) evolved out of Africa many millions of years before "ice age", which at best is only 10,000's of years in past.

There are many factors at work here that I don't know the fullest extent. If for exaple the period prior to the ice age was extremely dry due to water being locked up in the ice caps then food would still have become scarce. At this it may be because of this that homo sapiens were capable of suriving the ice age, because they already had intelligence prior to it. Like I said I don't pressume to be totally informed on this particular area but it is possible of something along this line.

Related to How did the ice age lead to consciousness and individualism?

What is "Conscience individualism"?

"Conscience individualism" refers to the belief that individuals should be free to make their own decisions and choices, based on their own conscience and moral principles. This ideology emphasizes the importance of individual rights and autonomy.

How does "Conscience individualism" differ from collectivism?

Unlike collectivism, which prioritizes the needs and goals of the group or society over individual desires, "Conscience individualism" values individualism and personal liberty. It emphasizes the rights and responsibilities of individuals to make their own choices, rather than conforming to societal norms or expectations.

What are the key principles of "Conscience individualism"?

The key principles of "Conscience individualism" include the belief in individual autonomy, personal responsibility, and the right to make choices based on one's own conscience. It also values individual rights, such as freedom of speech, religion, and expression.

How does "Conscience individualism" impact society?

"Conscience individualism" can have both positive and negative impacts on society. On one hand, it promotes personal freedom and diversity of thought, which can lead to innovation and progress. On the other hand, it can also lead to individualism and a lack of consideration for the well-being of others.

Are there any criticisms of "Conscience individualism"?

Yes, there are some criticisms of "Conscience individualism." Some argue that it can lead to selfishness and a disregard for the common good. Others argue that it may perpetuate systemic inequalities and limit the role of government in promoting social justice. Additionally, some argue that it puts too much emphasis on individual choice and ignores the impact of societal factors on an individual's decisions.