How did Maxwell build his theory

In summary, Maxwell's theory of electromagnetism is considered the foundation of modern physics and relativity. It is easy to learn, but the details of how Maxwell designed his equations may be difficult to find. He initially had twenty equations in twenty variables, but later simplified it into a quaternion formulation. The Wikipedia page on Maxwell's equations provides good explanations and links to his original papers. Some recommended resources include N. M. Wise's paper "The mutual embrace of electricity and magnetism" and Peter Michael Harmon's book "The Natural Philosophy of James Clerk Maxwell." It is advised to use caution when using the Wikipedia as a source, and to stick with reliable secondary sources such as academic books. Primary sources, such as Maxwell's letters and papers
lalbatros
Without any doubt, Maxwell's theory of electromagnetism is the foundation of modern physics and relativity.
I am always impressed by how it is easy to learn, and conversly I am disappointed by my ignorance about how Maxwell did his job.

Would some of you know about a good reference describing how Maxwell designed his equations. What was known at the beginning, in which form, what were the problems to be solved, how they were solved and why they were solved the way Maxwell did.

It is always impressing for me to thing that electrostatics and magnetism led to a theory of light and to relativity. For me there is a kind of mystery there that can only be understood by going back in time.

Physics news on Phys.org
All Maxwell did was to correct one of the equations with the displacement current and rederive the equations (known before him) from scratch.

The wikipedia page gives good explanation with links to Maxwell papers:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxwell's_equations

He actually had some twenty equations in some twenty variables initially. I think he then re-cast it into a slightly simpler quaternion formulation (or he may have originally done it in that form).

This section on the Wikipedia Maxwell's Equations article may shed some further light. They link to his original treatise etc.

Suggest some good articles/books, plus avoiding the most massive thing often called..

A classic paper published (I think) in Science many years ago is just what you need: N. M. Wise, "The mutual embrace of electricity and magnetism", Science 203 (1979): 1310-1318.

See also Peter Michael Harmon, The Natural Philosophy of James Clerk Maxwell, Cambridge University Press, 2001.

On-line resources include www.lns.cornell.edu/spr/2005-02/msg0066934.html

I'd be very cautious about anything you read in the Wikipedia, however. Why, just the other day I became aware of a major mistake in another wikibiography... which I wrote! :blushing: (No, my mistake was certainly not intentional! For the record, while I have become disaffected from the Wikipedia after being one of the 500 most active members in 2006, as some PF members already know, I oppose Colbert-like "social experiments", aka vandalism.) I'd recommend that serious inquirers avoid the Wikipedia except perhaps to find references, but then you should stick with reliable secondary sources, e.g. printed books from respectable academic publishers such as CUP. (Breaking this rule was in fact what got me into trouble in the regretable episode which I just mentioned.)

Then there are primary sources such as The Scientific Letters and Papers of James Clerk Maxwell, P. M. Harman, Ed., 3 volumes, Cambridge University Press, 1990-2002.

Last edited:
I hope the OP forgives me a quick off- topic question to Chris Hillman.

Chris Hillman why haven't you finished your "Categorical Primer" paper??

Related to How did Maxwell build his theory

1. How did Maxwell come up with his theory?

Maxwell's theory of electromagnetism was a result of years of research and experiments conducted by various scientists in the field of electricity and magnetism. Maxwell studied the works of scientists such as Michael Faraday and James Clerk Maxwell and combined their theories to form his own.

2. What were the key components of Maxwell's theory?

Maxwell's theory consists of four main equations, known as Maxwell's equations, which describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. These equations include Gauss's law, Gauss's law for magnetism, Faraday's law, and Ampere's law. These equations were crucial in explaining the relationship between electricity and magnetism.

3. How did Maxwell's theory impact the scientific community?

Maxwell's theory of electromagnetism revolutionized the field of physics and had a significant impact on the scientific community. His equations provided a unified understanding of electricity and magnetism and laid the foundation for many modern technologies, such as radio, television, and wireless communication.

4. Did Maxwell face any challenges while developing his theory?

Maxwell faced several challenges while developing his theory, including the lack of experimental evidence to support his ideas. He also had to overcome the existing theories of electricity and magnetism, which were based on different principles. Despite these challenges, Maxwell persisted in his research and ultimately presented his groundbreaking theory.

5. What is Maxwell's lasting legacy in the field of science?

Maxwell's theory of electromagnetism remains one of the most influential and important theories in the history of science. His work laid the foundation for many modern technologies and continues to be a fundamental theory in the fields of physics and engineering. Maxwell's equations are still used today to understand and predict the behavior of electric and magnetic fields.