How Deep Will a Barge Sit When Moving from Saltwater to Freshwater?

• Thread starter eglaud
  • Start date
  • Tags
    River
In summary, the barge is initially loaded in a saltwater harbor with dimensions of 3 x 20 m and sitting 0.8 m deep. To determine how deep it will sit in freshwater, the equation B - mg = 0 is used, where B represents the buoyant force, m is the mass of the barge, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. The volume of water displaced is 48 m3, using the density of saltwater. By setting the buoyant force of the saltwater situation equal to the freshwater situation, the volume of freshwater needed to provide the same buoyant force can be calculated. This method is similar to the one used in post #4, but includes an additional step
eglaud

Homework Statement

A barge is loaded in a saltwater harbor and measures 3 x 20 m, sitting 0.8 m deep in the harbor. If this barge moves to freshwater, how deep will it sit?

Homework Equations

B = densitydisplaced * Vdisplaced * g
B - mg = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

So I began by solving for B - mg, getting to m = 1000 * 48 to find out the mass of the water displaced. This itself confuses me, however, because I 1) wasn't sure whether to use the density of saltwater or seawater and 2) don't really know what to do with this information. Can someone help walk me through it?

Physics news on Phys.org
In what context was the voume displaced 48m3? In that context, which density applies?
eglaud said:
m = 1000 * 48 to find out the mass of the water displaced.
In the equation you quote:
eglaud said:
B - mg = 0
of what is m the mass?

The barge sits 0.8 meters deep and has an area of 60, which gives a volume of 48. I don't know what density applies, we never got a density for the barge. m is the mass of the barge, which equals the mass of the water displaced I think?

I just found out how to do the problem, you take the bouyancy of the salt water situation and set it equal to the freshwater, and use A * h for the volume. However, is it possible to solve this problem with my method?

eglaud said:
The barge sits 0.8 meters deep and has an area of 60, which gives a volume of 48. I don't know what density applies, we never got a density for the barge. m is the mass of the barge, which equals the mass of the water displaced I think?
I don't think you understood my questions.
The context for the 48 m3 displacement was the saltwater harbor, so the displaced water was salt. That tells you which density to use.
you wrote that you did not know what to do with information, but you correctly stated that it told you the mass of the barge.
You can then calculate the volume if fresh water that would provide the necessary buoyant force.
This is not different from the method in post #4. That method only seems shorter because your description left out a step. Instead of going weightsaltwater displaced=weightbarge=weightfreshwater displaced you left out the middle part and just wrote weightsaltwater displaced=weightfreshwater displaced

Related to How Deep Will a Barge Sit When Moving from Saltwater to Freshwater?

What is a barge?

A barge is a type of flat-bottomed boat that is used for transporting goods and materials on rivers and canals.

What is the purpose of a barge in a river?

The purpose of a barge in a river is to transport goods and materials from one location to another. Barges are often used for heavy or bulky items that cannot easily be transported by other means.

How does a barge float in a river?

A barge floats in a river because of the principle of buoyancy. The barge is designed to displace a large amount of water, which creates an upward force that keeps it afloat.

What materials are typically transported on a barge?

Barges can transport a wide range of materials, including coal, oil, grains, construction materials, and even oversized items such as machinery and vehicles.

What are the environmental impacts of barges in rivers?

The environmental impacts of barges in rivers can include water pollution, disturbance of aquatic habitats, and potential collisions with wildlife. However, barges are considered a relatively environmentally friendly form of transportation compared to other modes such as trucks or trains.