Bernoulli, Fluid Dynamics, and ships

In summary: Solve for those two unknowns.Thanks.I already drew a free body diagram, probably should have mentioned that.The two forces are the buoyant force provided by the fresh water, and the gravitational force. Where I'm stuck I suppose is mostly we aren't given the original weight of the ship, or does this not matter and I should only take into account the 75kg x 2205 people?In summary, the Plimsoll line is a line that indicates the maximum safe load that a ship can carry in a specific type of water and temperature. In a scenario where passengers are boarding a cruise ship, the Plimsoll line is measured to be 1cm above the water before boarding and at the water level after
ManicPIxie

Homework Statement

The Plimsoll line is a line marked on the side all ships that effectively indicates the safe maximum load the ship can carry in that type of water at that temperature.You have been asked to stand on the dock and collect the tickets of the passengers boarding a cruise ship and notice the Plimsoll line is 1cm above the water. The crew and all the baggage are already aboard. Over the next two hours 2205 passengers of average mass 75.0kg board the ship. At the end of this time you notice that the surface of the water is now at the Plimsoll line. Assume the ship is in a fresh water dock while it is being loaded.a) What is the horizontal cross-sectional area of the ship at the level of the Plimsoll line?b) When the ship leaves the river and moves out into the sea will the water level remain at the height of the Plimsoll line, will it rise above the line or will it drop below the line? Explain your answer.c) If the ship no longer sits with its Plimsoll line at sea level when it is in the sea what is the distance between the line and sea level? The Plimsoll line is 10m above the bottom of the ship.

Homework Equations

P = F/A
F = mg - density(water) x Vdisplaced x g
P + density x gravity x height + 1/2 density x v2

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that for (b) I need to used Bernoulli's equation, however for (a) I am having trouble finding the force and pressure to determine the area.

I'm not sure where to start, so a poke in the right direction would be great.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
ManicPIxie said:

Homework Statement

The Plimsoll line is a line marked on the side all ships that effectively indicates the safe maximum load the ship can carry in that type of water at that temperature.You have been asked to stand on the dock and collect the tickets of the passengers boarding a cruise ship and notice the Plimsoll line is 1cm above the water. The crew and all the baggage are already aboard. Over the next two hours 2205 passengers of average mass 75.0kg board the ship. At the end of this time you notice that the surface of the water is now at the Plimsoll line. Assume the ship is in a fresh water dock while it is being loaded.a) What is the horizontal cross-sectional area of the ship at the level of the Plimsoll line?b) When the ship leaves the river and moves out into the sea will the water level remain at the height of the Plimsoll line, will it rise above the line or will it drop below the line? Explain your answer.c) If the ship no longer sits with its Plimsoll line at sea level when it is in the sea what is the distance between the line and sea level? The Plimsoll line is 10m above the bottom of the ship.

Homework Equations

P = F/A
F = mg - density(water) x Vdisplaced x g
P + density x gravity x height + 1/2 density x v2

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that for (b) I need to used Bernoulli's equation, however for (a) I am having trouble finding the force and pressure to determine the area.

I'm not sure where to start, so a poke in the right direction would be great.

Thank you
I don't think Bernoulli will be of any use here.

Archimedes should be all you need for (a) and for (b) .

I know that for (b) I need to used Bernoulli's equation, ...
What is your reasoning for this? As SamyS suggests, try taking another look at Archimedes instead.
... for (a) I am having trouble finding the force and pressure to determine the area.
Draw a free body diagram for the ship - what are the forces?

Thanks.

I already drew a free body diagram, probably should have mentioned that.
The two forces are the buoyant force provided by the fresh water, and the gravitational force. Where I'm stuck I suppose is mostly we aren't given the original weight of the ship, or does this not matter and I should only take into account the 75kg x 2205 people?

ManicPIxie said:
Thanks.

I already drew a free body diagram, probably should have mentioned that.
The two forces are the buoyant force provided by the fresh water, and the gravitational force. Where I'm stuck I suppose is mostly we aren't given the original weight of the ship, or does this not matter and I should only take into account the 75kg x 2205 people?
It doesn't matter what the original weight of the ship was.

You know how much additional weight was taken aboard the ship and by how much the draft of the ship changed after this weight was added. From these two pieces of information, and knowing (or looking up) the density of fresh water, you should be able to answer a) above.

SammyS and Simon are right. This is a problem in fluid statics, not fluid dynamics, so put Mr. Bernoulli back in the toolbox. :wink:

Likes SammyS
Recall: A floating object displaces it's own weight in water.
You should express the weight of water displaced in terms of the volume of water displaced before and after the passengers get on board.
Everything you don't know, just write it down as a variable. You'll end up with two equations and two unknowns.

Related to Bernoulli, Fluid Dynamics, and ships

1. What is Bernoulli's principle and how does it relate to fluid dynamics?

Bernoulli's principle is a fundamental concept in fluid dynamics that states that as the speed of a fluid increases, its pressure decreases. This principle is based on the conservation of energy, and it explains why airplanes can fly and ships can sail.

2. How does Bernoulli's principle affect the design of ships?

Bernoulli's principle plays a crucial role in the design of ships, particularly in the shape of their hulls. By curving the hull, the speed of the water passing over it is increased, causing a decrease in pressure and creating lift, which helps to reduce drag and improve the ship's efficiency.

3. How does fluid dynamics impact a ship's performance?

Fluid dynamics has a significant impact on a ship's performance as it determines how the water moves around the ship's hull, propellers, and other components. Understanding fluid dynamics allows engineers to optimize the design of ships for better speed, stability, and fuel efficiency.

4. How do ships use fluid dynamics to maneuver in the water?

Ships use various techniques based on fluid dynamics to maneuver in the water. For example, they may use rudders to redirect the flow of water and change direction, or they may use thrusters and propellers to generate forces that move the ship in a specific direction.

5. What are some real-world applications of Bernoulli's principle and fluid dynamics in the shipping industry?

Bernoulli's principle and fluid dynamics are used in many ways in the shipping industry. For example, they are used in the design of ships and their propellers to improve efficiency and reduce drag. They are also used in port design to minimize the effects of waves and currents on ships. Additionally, understanding fluid dynamics is crucial for ship captains and pilots to safely navigate through different water conditions.