How could spring water lift a person?

In summary, the conversation discusses an advertisement where a young man is lifted by artificial spring water to a height of 4m. The man's weight is 800N and the sectional area of the spring water is 0.2*0.2 m^2. By using the impuse-momentum theorem, a velocity of 4m/s for the spring water is obtained. It is suggested that as long as the water table at its source is higher than 4m above the ground, the calculations are not necessary. However, further discussion ensues about the practicality of the advertisement and the velocity of the spring water at ground level.
scalar
In an TV advertisement, a young man was lifted by an artificial spring water to a hight about 4 m. Supposed the man's weight is 800N, and the sectional area of the spring water is 0.2*0.2 m^2, and using the impuse-momentum theorem, I got a velocity of the spring water of 4m/s.
Is this correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
As long as the water table of the spring at its source was more than 4m above the ground where the man was standing, you're good to go, and you don't need all those fancy calculations.

scalar said:
In an TV advertisement, a young man was lifted by an artificial spring water to a hight about 4 m. Supposed the man's weight is 800N, and the sectional area of the spring water is 0.2*0.2 m^2, and using the impuse-momentum theorem, I got a velocity of the spring water of 4m/s.
Is this correct?
I don't quite understand what Dave is saying.

I get 4.5 m/sec at the height where the man is located. [itex]F = vdm/dt = v\rho dV/dt = v\rho Av = \rho Av^2[/itex]. What is the velocity at the ground level?

AM

Andrew Mason said:
I don't quite understand what Dave is saying.
I was second-guessing him. I was assuming he wanted to figure out whether it was practically possible for a volume of water to lift a man 4 metres, (after all, that's what his thread title implies he's asking about), but that his method for doing so was with numbers (calcing the speed and momentum of the water) rather than deduction.

I was merely pointing out that, if the (inexhaustible) supply of the spring water was higher than ground (i.e. at least 4m higher) where the man is standing, then is is trivial to show that the water will shoot that high.

Last edited:
aha, just as dave said, I'm discussing the posibility of the advertisement. And the method I used is the same as Andrew's. The velocity of the spring water at the ground is about 10m/s. Thank you all.

Last edited:

Related to How could spring water lift a person?

1. How does spring water lift a person?

Spring water can lift a person due to the principles of buoyancy. When an object is submerged in water, it experiences an upward force equal to the weight of the water it has displaced. This means that if the weight of the person is less than the weight of the water they have displaced, they will float and appear to be lifted by the water.

2. Is spring water stronger than regular water when it comes to lifting?

No, spring water is not inherently stronger than regular water. The ability of water to lift a person depends on its density, which is determined by factors such as temperature, salinity, and the presence of minerals. Spring water may have a different density than regular water due to its source, but it does not necessarily make it stronger in terms of lifting power.

3. Can someone float in any type of spring water?

Yes, most people can float in any type of spring water as long as they have a density that is less than the density of the water. However, some spring water may have a higher salinity or mineral content that can affect the density and make it more difficult for a person to float.

4. How deep does the spring water need to be in order to lift a person?

The depth of the spring water does not necessarily determine its ability to lift a person. As long as the person is fully submerged and the water has enough density to provide an upward force greater than their weight, they will float regardless of the depth. However, for safety reasons, it is recommended to have at least a few feet of depth to ensure the person does not hit the bottom or any objects while floating.

5. Can a person sink in spring water?

Yes, a person can sink in spring water if they have a density that is greater than the density of the water. This can happen if the person holds their breath, wears heavy clothing, or has a higher muscle mass. In these cases, the person's weight will be greater than the weight of the water they have displaced, causing them to sink instead of float.