How correct is this paragraph about vacuum zero point energy.

In summary, the zero point energy density estimate is that the vacuum has a higher energy density than the Standard Model particles.
Spinnor
Gold Member
Doing some searching about the zero point energy of the vacuum I came up with an excerpt from Google books,

Page 62 of

http://books.google.com/books?id=ZP...um zero point energy density estimate&f=false

I think the paragraph stated that the zero point energy contribution from boson fields was positive while the contribution from the fermionic fields tended to cancel the bosonic contribution. Is that correct, and if so is there a hand wavey way of explaining that? I naively thought that the zero point fluctuations of all the different fields was positive.

Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Hi Spinnor, hi Greg!
Spinnor has a question relating to a fairly basic textbook in quantum optics and quantum electrodynamics.
Cavity Quantum Electrodynamics: The Strange Theory of Light in a Box
By Sergio M. Dutra

I think it would be a good question to ask in the Quantum Mechanics forum.
The textbook was published 2005 by Wiley, it looks like advanced undergraduate material, with lots of problems.
It talks about LASERS and how they work.

This is not Beyond the Standard Model fodder. IMHO. I could be wrong but I'd ask a mentor to move it to QM forum.

Or did you already try asking in QM and not get an answer? Is there something I'm missing about your question
that makes it inappropriate for QM and appropriate for BtSM?

If you want to move it, you can press the "report" button at the lower left corner of your post and just say "mentor please move to QM" and they will be very willing to help, I think. Or if you are hesitant about doing that, just tell us what you want done and I'll get their attention. It's easy, they're nice.

Spinnor said:
I think the paragraph stated that the zero point energy contribution from boson fields was positive while the contribution from the fermionic fields tended to cancel the bosonic contribution. Is that correct, and if so is there a hand wavey way of explaining that?
That is correct, and is related to the fact that fermionic fields anti-commute rather than commute, which brings in an additional negative sign in many equations involving fermions.

Demystifier said:
That is correct, and is related to the fact that fermionic fields anti-commute rather than commute, which brings in an additional negative sign in many equations involving fermions.

Thank you for your help!

Hmm, the "mysterious" coincidence that sum of squares of all bosons' masses seems to be equal to sum of squares of all fermions' masses now has an explanation, doesn't it?

nikkkom said:
Hmm, the "mysterious" coincidence that sum of squares of all bosons' masses seems to be equal to sum of squares of all fermions' masses now has an explanation, doesn't it?

It might but I wouldn't know it, where might I start to learn more?

nikkkom said:
Only if the universe is supersymmetric...

Related to How correct is this paragraph about vacuum zero point energy.

1. What is vacuum zero point energy?

Vacuum zero point energy is the lowest possible energy that a quantum mechanical physical system may possess. It is the energy that remains in a system even at a temperature of absolute zero.

2. How is vacuum zero point energy related to the vacuum of space?

Vacuum zero point energy is the energy associated with the empty space, or vacuum, between particles. It is thought to be caused by the constant fluctuations of quantum fields even in a vacuum.

3. Is vacuum zero point energy measurable?

Yes, vacuum zero point energy can be measured indirectly through the Casimir effect, which is the attraction between two closely spaced parallel plates due to the fluctuations of quantum fields in the vacuum between them.

4. How significant is vacuum zero point energy?

Vacuum zero point energy is considered to be one of the most significant predictions of quantum field theory. It has implications for the stability of atoms, the expansion of the universe, and the fabric of space-time.

5. Can vacuum zero point energy be harnessed for practical use?

At present, there is no known practical application for vacuum zero point energy. However, some scientists are exploring the possibility of using it for propulsion or as a potential source of renewable energy in the future.