How Can You Verify the Reasonableness of E&M Homework Solutions?

In summary, for the latest E&M homework assignment from Griffiths, answers need to be shown as reasonable. For a charged solid sphere of radius R, taking R<<r where r is the distance away from the sphere will result in a point charge. To show the reasonability of the E fields for a charged spherical shell and an infinite line charge, taking appropriate limits or considering the contribution from a neutral conductor may be helpful.
mewmew
So our latest E&M homework assignment out of griffiths has a bit of a twist. For all of the answers that we get we have to show that they seem reasonable. I know for instance with a charged solid sphere of radius R you could take R<<r where r is the distance away from the sphere and see that it looks like a point charge.

I am unsure however how to best show that the E fields of a charged spherical shell and an infinite line charge should be show to be reasonable though. Any hints on limits that may be appropriate to take in these cases or other methods that I should look at? Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
mewmew said:
So our latest E&M homework assignment out of griffiths has a bit of a twist. For all of the answers that we get we have to show that they seem reasonable. I know for instance with a charged solid sphere of radius R you could take R<<r where r is the distance away from the sphere and see that it looks like a point charge.

I am unsure however how to best show that the E fields of a charged spherical shell and an infinite line charge should be show to be reasonable though. Any hints on limits that may be appropriate to take in these cases or other methods that I should look at? Thanks for any help.

At a point near the line charge and very far fom the sphere the result should reduce to the field from the line charge. At a point very far from the sphere on a line perpendicular to the line charge through the center of the sphere, the line charge field contribution should still dominate (1/r vs 1/r^2) and the contribution from the sphere should be point-like.

If the sphere is a neutral conductor whose charge redistributes in the presence of the line of charge, the field at any large distance from the sphere should reduce to the field from the line charge.

Last edited:

Related to How Can You Verify the Reasonableness of E&M Homework Solutions?

1. What is the best approach to proving E&M homework problems?

The best approach to proving E&M homework problems is to start by carefully reading and understanding the problem statement. Then, break down the problem into smaller steps and use relevant equations and concepts to solve each step. It is important to show all steps and clearly explain the reasoning behind each step.

2. How do I know if my proof is correct?

You can check the correctness of your proof by going through each step and making sure it follows logically from the previous step. You can also try plugging in the values from the problem into your final equation to see if it gives the correct answer. Additionally, you can ask a classmate or professor to review your proof and provide feedback.

3. Are there any common mistakes to watch out for when proving E&M homework problems?

One common mistake is using incorrect equations or concepts. It is important to carefully read the problem statement and make sure you are using the appropriate equations and concepts. Also, make sure to double check your algebra and calculations to avoid any errors. Another common mistake is not showing all steps or not clearly explaining the reasoning behind each step.

4. How can I improve my skills in proving E&M homework problems?

Practice is key when it comes to improving your skills in proving E&M homework problems. Make sure to thoroughly understand the relevant equations and concepts, and try solving different types of problems to build your problem-solving skills. It can also be helpful to work with a study group or seek help from a tutor or professor.

5. Is there a specific format I should follow when proving E&M homework problems?

There is no specific format that you need to follow when proving E&M homework problems. However, it is important to clearly show all steps and explain your reasoning in a logical and organized manner. You can use bullet points or numbered steps to make your proof easier to follow. It is also recommended to include a brief conclusion or summary at the end of your proof.