Charged Disk Homework: Solve E&M Qs

The charge density function is:σ(r)=Qr^2/(πa^4)The average charge density is:Q/A=Q/(πa^2)b) At what value of "r" (relative to a) is σ(r) equal to its average value on the disk? (Use only Gauss's law equation! Don't use Intensities)σ=Qr^2/(πa^4)=Q/(πa^2)r^2/a^4=1/a^2r=ac) Derive a formula for the charge q(r) contained within a circle of any radius r, and graph this functionq=from 0 to r ∫σA
hansbahia

Homework Statement

A charged disk of total charge "Q" and radius "a" lies in the xy-plane, centered at the origin. The surface-charge density distribution is nonuniform, having the surface-density, at any point inside the disk at distance "r" from the center of the form
σ(r)= m x r^2 , m being a constant
a) Evaluate the indicated constant in terms of Q and a, and express s(r) and your answers below in terms of these parameters.
b) At what value of "r" (relative to a) is s(r) equal to its average value on the disk? (Use only Gaus laws equation! Don't use Intensities)
c) Derive aformula for the charge q(r) contained within a circle of any radius r, and graph this function
d) Express the electric field "Ez(z)" at any point on the +z-axis as an integral over the source0charge distribution. (Start with he result for a charged ring -- draw a diagram, and explain briefly. Be sure to define every symbol you introduce.
e) Grap the function Ez(z) for -∞≤ z≤∞

Homework Equations

σ=Q/A
A=4π^2
∫E.ndA=(1/εo)∫pdV
∇.E=ρ/εo

The Attempt at a Solution

a) σ=Q/A=mr^2=Q/4πa^2
m=Q/(4πa^2r^2)

σ(r)=mr^2=Q/(4πa^2r^2)=Q/(4πa^2)
right?

b) I got lost here

I know the average σ= Q/A=Q/(4πa^2)
so I would assume r is equal 1?

c) σ=q/A→q=σA→dq=from 0 to r ∫σA=∫(Q/(4πa^2))(2πr)dr=Q/2a^2(from 0 to r ∫r dr)
=Q/2a^2(r^2/2)=Qr^2/4a^2
right?
d)

e)

I'm willing to go letter by letter (a) than (b)... in details

Physics news on Phys.org
hansbahia said:

Homework Statement

A charged disk of total charge "Q" and radius "a" lies in the xy-plane, centered at the origin. The surface-charge density distribution is nonuniform, having the surface-density, at any point inside the disk at distance "r" from the center of the form
σ(r)= m x r^2 , m being a constant
a) Evaluate the indicated constant in terms of Q and a, and express s(r) and your answers below in terms of these parameters.
What is s(r) supposed to be? It just appears here with no definition.

b) At what value of "r" (relative to a) is s(r) equal to its average value on the disk? (Use only Gauss's law equation! Don't use Intensities)
c) Derive a formula for the charge q(r) contained within a circle of any radius r, and graph this function
d) Express the electric field "Ez(z)" at any point on the +z-axis as an integral over the source0charge distribution. (Start with he result for a charged ring -- draw a diagram, and explain briefly. Be sure to define every symbol you introduce.
e) Grap the function Ez(z) for -∞≤ z≤∞

Homework Equations

σ=Q/A
A=4π^2
∫E.ndA=(1/εo)∫pdV
∇.E=ρ/εo

The Attempt at a Solution

a) σ=Q/A=mr^2=Q/4πa^2
m=Q/(4πa^2r^2)

σ(r)=mr^2=Q/(4πa^2r^2)=Q/(4πa^2)
right?

b) I got lost here

I know the average σ= Q/A=Q/(4πa^2)
so I would assume r is equal 1?

c) σ=q/A→q=σA→dq=from 0 to r ∫σA=∫(Q/(4πa^2))(2πr)dr=Q/2a^2(from 0 to r ∫r dr)
=Q/2a^2(r^2/2)=Qr^2/4a^2
right?
d)

e)

I'm willing to go letter by letter (a) than (b)... in details

vela said:
What is s(r) supposed to be? It just appears here with no definition.

I'm sorry, s(r) is the surface charge density σ= s(r). Sometimes is a pain trying to keep looking for sigma

In part a), you can't have ##\sigma=Q/A## because that would be a constant, but you know that the charge density varies with the radius. Also, you're not using the right expression for the area.

What you need to do is write down an integral that corresponds to the total charge on the disk and set it equal to Q. This will give you an equation you can solve for m.

vela said:
What you need to do is write down an integral that corresponds to the total charge on the disk and set it equal to Q. This will give you an equation you can solve for m.

dQ=σ(r)dA

Q=(from 0 to a) ∫σ(r)A
Q=(from 0 to a) ∫mr^2 (2πr)dr
Q=2πm (from 0 to a) ∫r^3 dr
Q=2πm (a^4/4)
m=2Q/(πa^4)

σ(r)=mr^2=2Qr^2/(πa^4) ?

Yup, perfect!

In part b), like you said earlier, the average is Q/A, where A is the total area. You need to use the right formula for A, however.

You should be able to handle part c) as well.

vela said:
In part b), like you said earlier, the average is Q/A, where A is the total area. You need to use the right formula for A, however.

σ(r)=Q/A
2Qr^2/(πa^4)=Q/πr^2
2r^2/a^4=1/r^2
r^4=a^4/2
r=a/2^(1/4)
r≈0.84a

It seems small to me
vela said:
You should be able to handle part c) as well.

Part c) I integrated from 0 to r therefore my first attempt steps were right?

σ=dq/dA
dq=σdA
q=from 0 to r ∫σA
q=from 0 to r ∫(2Qr^2/(πa^4))(2πr)dr
q=from 0 to r ∫ 4Qr^3/a^4dr
q=(4Q/a^4) from 0 to r ∫r^3
q=(4Q/a^4) (r^4/4)
q=Qr^4/a^4?

I really don't know how to graph these functions

Last edited:
This is my diagram for part d)

Last edited:
hansbahia said:
σ(r)=Q/A
2Qr^2/(πa^4)=Q/πr^2
2r^2/a^4=1/r^2
r^4=a^4/2
r=a/2^(1/4)
r≈0.84a

It seems small to me
This isn't quite correct. Think carefully about what A represents.

Part c) I integrated from 0 to r therefore my first attempt steps were right?

σ=dq/dA
dq=σdA
q=from 0 to r ∫σA
q=from 0 to r ∫(2Qr^2/(πa^4))(2πr)dr
q=from 0 to r ∫ 4Qr^3/a^4dr
q=(4Q/a^4) from 0 to r ∫r^3
q=(4Q/a^4) (r^4/4)
q=Qr^4/a^4?
This looks fine. When r=a, it yields q=Q, as it should.

hansbahia said:
I really don't know how to graph these functions. Is it like y=nx, in my case q(r)=(Q/a^4)r^4.
q(r) as y
(Q/a^4) as n, constant or our y' zeros
and r^4 as x
You'll need to fix your answer to part c) first. Surely, you've graphed functions before.

and part d) I don't know how to express the electric field in Ez(z) since the disk lies in the xy-plane. My guess was dEy=0 since its charge goes through x-axis and dEx=dcos(theta). Then Ez would be the sum of both
Use the hint. The electric field due to a ring of charge is probably worked out in your textbook somewhere.

hansbahia said:
This is my diagram for part d). That's how I approached
You have the right idea, but there are some math errors. A couple of comments:
  1. You're given a coordinate system in the problem. You should use it. The x-axis in your diagram should be the z-axis.
  2. dEy isn't 0; however, Ey is 0, due to symmetry. It's when you sum all the non-zero contributions do you get the cancellations that result in Ey=0.
  3. What you labeled dEz in your diagram is actually dE.
  4. Your formula for dE at the top of the page should have r2 in the bottom, not r3.
  5. Your integral for Ex should be
    $$E_x = \int dE_x = \int dE\cos\theta = \int \left(\frac{dq}{4\pi\epsilon_0 r^2}\right)\frac{x}{r}.$$ This is just straight substitution of the various formulas you have written down. Note, in particular, that there's no ##dl##; you have ##dq## in the integral instead. I'll let you finish evaluating the integral.

vela said:
This isn't quite correct. Think carefully about what A represents

I thought the σ=Q/total area of the disk
the total area of the disk is πr^2.

Wait its the total area of the disk, and the radius of the disk is "a" therefore is πa^2

Last edited:
Before, when I was solving for a spherical charged ball, I came across the same equation for q(r)=Qr^4/a^4 and in class they just draw the graph and I didn't get it

Last edited:
vela said:
You have the right idea, but there are some math errors. A couple of comments:
  1. You're given a coordinate system in the problem. You should use it. The x-axis in your diagram should be the z-axis.
  2. dEy isn't 0; however, Ey is 0, due to symmetry. It's when you sum all the non-zero contributions do you get the cancellations that result in Ey=0.
  3. What you labeled dEz in your diagram is actually dE.
  4. Your formula for dE at the top of the page should have r2 in the bottom, not r3.
  5. Your integral for Ex should be
    $$E_x = \int dE_x = \int dE\cos\theta = \int \left(\frac{dq}{4\pi\epsilon_0 r^2}\right)\frac{x}{r}.$$ This is just straight substitution of the various formulas you have written down. Note, in particular, that there's no ##dl##; you have ##dq## in the integral instead. I'll let you finish evaluating the integral.

Woww. I totally forgot that the charged disk was on the xy-plane. My book actually doesn't show the steps. It doesn't really help a lot. I'm using Foundations of Electromagnetic Theory by Reitz, Milford and Christy. It doesn't go in depth.
My question really is, do I do the steps same steps for uniform and nonuniform?

Last edited:
vela said:
You'll need to fix your answer to part c) first. Surely, you've graphed functions before.

Whats wrong with part c?

Did you mean part b)?

Yeah, I meant part b).

hansbahia said:
Woww. I totally forgot that the charged disk was on the xy-plane. My book actually doesn't show the steps. It doesn't really help a lot. I'm using Foundations of Electromagnetic Theory by Reitz, Milford and Christy. It doesn't go in depth.
Anyways I had to calculate Ez(z) once for a uniform disk. My question really is, do I do the steps same steps for uniform and nonuniform?
I re did it and attached my work
Yeah, pretty much.

Related to Charged Disk Homework: Solve E&M Qs

1. What is a charged disk?

A charged disk is a flat, circular object that has an electric charge distributed evenly across its surface. This means that there is no net charge on the disk, but there are regions of positive and negative charge that cancel each other out.

2. How do you solve E&M questions related to a charged disk?

To solve E&M (electromagnetism) questions related to a charged disk, you will need to apply relevant equations from Maxwell's equations and Coulomb's law. You will also need to use concepts such as electric fields, electric potential, and flux to analyze the behavior of the charged disk.

3. What types of E&M questions can be solved using a charged disk?

Charged disk problems can be used to solve various E&M questions, such as finding the electric field at a point near the disk, calculating the electric potential at different points around the disk, determining the net force on a charged particle near the disk, and analyzing the behavior of the disk in different electric field configurations.

4. Are there any simplifications or assumptions that can be made when solving charged disk homework?

Yes, there are some simplifications and assumptions that can be made when solving charged disk problems. For example, the disk is often assumed to be infinitely thin and have a uniform charge distribution. Additionally, the effects of gravity and any external magnetic fields can be ignored in most cases.

5. What are some real-world applications of charged disk problems?

Charged disk problems have various real-world applications, such as in the design of electronic devices, capacitors, and particle accelerators. They are also used in the study of the Earth's magnetic field and in the analysis of charged particles in space. Additionally, charged disk problems are important in understanding the behavior of charged molecules and nanoparticles in biological systems.