How can you see raindrops if water is transparent?

In summary: Reminds me of the "fire water" demo my chemistry teacher did. He put some sort of light flammable liquid into a beaker of water and lit it, producing a nice flame on the surface. When we were leaving the class a friend of mine decided to do the teacher a favor and put out the fire, he poured water into the beaker until it overflowed. I'm not sure what he was thinking but seeing a river of fire flow out of a beaker and spread across the tabletop was a nice ending touch to the demo.
Voltman
How can you see raindrops if water is transparent?

Physics news on Phys.org

For the same reason you can see air bubbles in water. These materials have different indexes of refraction, which means they bend light by different amounts, simplistically speaking. Another effect of two materials with differing refractive indexes in contact is that the boundary between them tends to reflect light. Both of these effects combine to make a transparent object in a transparent medium visible.

Note that diamond, which has a refractive index nearly identical to water is almost completely invisible when immersed in that liquid.

negitron said:
For the same reason you can see air bubbles in water. These materials have different indexes of refraction, which means they bend light by different amounts, simplistically speaking. Another effect of two materials with differing refractive indexes in contact is that the boundary between them tends to reflect light. Both of these effects combine to make a transparent object in a transparent medium visible.

Note that diamond, which has a refractive index nearly identical to water is almost completely invisible when immersed in that liquid.

Ok thanks. I guess that makes sense.

what exactly makes something transparent?

negitron said:

Diamond's index of refraction is not even close to that of water.
n_water=1.33
n_diamond=2.54

Glass is a little closer (n_glass=1.5) but still quite different.

My high school physics teacher did a good trick. I think it was glass in glycerin (or something). Very similar indices of refraction. You couldn't see any part of a test tube that he had immersed in a beaker full of the stuff. He teased us that it was "molten glass" (i.e. that he had actually melted the test tube).

cepheid said:
My high school physics teacher did a good trick. I think it was glass in glycerin (or something). Very similar indices of refraction. You couldn't see any part of a test tube that he had immersed in a beaker full of the stuff. He teased us that it was "molten glass" (i.e. that he had actually melted the test tube).

Reminds me of the "fire water" demo my chemistry teacher did. He put some sort of light flammable liquid into a beaker of water and lit it, producing a nice flame on the surface. When we were leaving the class a friend of mine decided to do the teacher a favor and put out the fire, he poured water into the beaker until it overflowed. I'm not sure what he was thinking but seeing a river of fire flow out of a beaker and spread across the tabletop was a nice ending touch to the demo.

Related to How can you see raindrops if water is transparent?

1. How can raindrops be seen if water is transparent?

Although water is transparent, it can still refract and reflect light. When raindrops fall through the air, they interact with light in different ways, causing them to be visible to the human eye.

2. Why are raindrops sometimes difficult to see?

Raindrops can be difficult to see if they are small or if the lighting conditions are not ideal. In order for raindrops to be visible, they need to be large enough to refract and reflect light, and there needs to be enough light for this to occur.

3. Can raindrops be seen from all angles?

Raindrops can be seen from many angles, but the angle at which they are viewed can affect their visibility. For example, raindrops may be more difficult to see when looking directly down at them, but may be more visible when viewed at an angle.

4. Why do raindrops sometimes appear to be different colors?

When light passes through a raindrop, it can be split into different colors due to refraction. This is similar to how a prism splits light into a rainbow. The colors may also appear different depending on the angle and intensity of the light.

5. Is there a limit to how many raindrops can be seen at once?

There is no limit to the number of raindrops that can be seen at once, but the visibility may be affected by the size and density of the raindrops, as well as the lighting conditions. In heavy rain, there may be so many raindrops that they all blend together and appear as a continuous stream of water.