How can you identify a defective machine with only one use of a scale?

• Thread starter zoich
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Puzzle
In summary, the conversation discusses a puzzle involving a machine that produces coins weighing 10% less than the others, and the challenge of identifying the defective machine using only a scale once. The conversation also mentions a similar problem with 10 groups of 10 balls, one of which weighs less than the others. The speaker shares a personal experience of using counting as a memory aid.
zoich
I am sure this one has been done a million times, but I can't figure this out. It about 10 mint producing machine and one of them is defective and produces coins that weigh 10% less than the other 9. You have a scale but you can only use it once and only once, how would you identify the defective machine?

Physics news on Phys.org
What have you tried?

Here's a hint: What's 1+2+3?

This puzzle has been presented in a slightly different form in the thread entitled: inspector Columbo.

I solved another problem of same kind, which says there are 10 groups of 10 balls each and each ball in a group weighs 10gms except one group which has 9 gm balls in it, by an excellent case of coincidence.

When I was in school I had a grave problem with my third language and only way out for me is to mug up. I often used to forget part of the essays and poems, so my teacher advised me to count numbers to calm down myself and try remembering them. I was totally baffled when the above problem was given to me and started counting numbers. I got that when I reached 10.

Related to How can you identify a defective machine with only one use of a scale?

1. What is the best approach to solving this puzzle?

The best approach to solving this puzzle depends on the individual and their problem-solving skills. Some people may prefer to start with the edges and work their way in, while others may prefer to group similar pieces together. It's important to experiment and find the approach that works best for you.

2. How long does it typically take to solve this puzzle?

The time it takes to solve a puzzle can vary greatly depending on the complexity of the puzzle and the individual's experience with similar puzzles. Some people may be able to solve it in a matter of minutes, while others may take hours or even days.

3. Is there a specific order in which the pieces should be placed?

There is no specific order in which the pieces should be placed. However, it can be helpful to start with the edges and work your way in, or to group similar pieces together. Ultimately, the order in which the pieces are placed will depend on the individual's approach and problem-solving skills.

4. What do I do if I get stuck while solving the puzzle?

If you get stuck while solving the puzzle, take a break and come back to it later with a fresh perspective. You can also try looking at the puzzle from a different angle or asking someone else for their input. Sometimes a new perspective can help you see the solution more clearly.

5. Are there any tips or tricks that can help me solve this puzzle?

Some tips for solving puzzles include starting with the edges, grouping similar pieces together, and working on one section at a time. It can also be helpful to step back and look at the puzzle from a distance or to use the image on the box as a guide. Ultimately, the best way to improve at solving puzzles is to practice and find what works best for you.