How Can You Evaluate This Infinite Series with a Recurrence Relation?

In summary, the question is about evaluating an infinite series with a recurrence relation and a given explicit equation. The attempt at a solution involves finding a generating function, but the explicit equation can be used to simplify the sum. The sum can be rewritten as two geometric series.
saubbie

Homework Statement

The question is to evaluate the infinite series of the Sum[(((-1)^n)*a(n))/10^n], as n goes from zero to infinity, and a(n) is the recurrence relation a(n)=5a(n-1)-6a(n-2) where a(0)=0, and a(1)=1

Homework Equations

I found the explicit equation for a(n)=3^n - 2^n, but I can't find how that will help. It doesn't really simplify the sum that I can tell.

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that if I could find a generating function for the recurrence relation, then it would probably be a lot easier to relate the series to something that I already know, but I am not sure how to find the generating function. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
Since you know that an= 3n- 2n and obvious thing to do is to put it in the sum- it certainly DOES simplify it!
The sum becomes
[tex]\sum_{n=}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^n(3^n- 2^n)}{10^n}= \sum_{n=0}^\infty\left(\frac{-3}{10}\right)^n}-\sum_{n=0}^\infty\left(\frac{-2}{10}\right)^n[/tex]
both of which are geometric series.

Related to How Can You Evaluate This Infinite Series with a Recurrence Relation?

1. What is an infinite series?

An infinite series is a sum of an infinite number of terms. Each term in the series is added to the previous term to get the next term, and this process continues infinitely.

2. How do I know if an infinite series converges or diverges?

To determine if an infinite series converges or diverges, you can use various tests such as the Ratio Test, Root Test, or the Comparison Test. These tests compare the given series to a known convergent or divergent series to determine its behavior.

3. Can an infinite series converge to a specific value?

Yes, an infinite series can converge to a specific value. This is known as a convergent series. However, not all infinite series converge to a specific value, some may diverge.

4. What is the difference between absolute and conditional convergence?

Absolute convergence refers to a series that converges regardless of the order of the terms, while conditional convergence only converges when the terms are arranged in a specific order. A series that is absolutely convergent is also conditionally convergent, but the reverse is not always true.

5. How can I use infinite series in real-world applications?

Infinite series are used in various real-world applications, such as in physics, engineering, and finance. For example, Taylor series can be used to approximate functions in physics and engineering, while geometric series are used in financial calculations such as compound interest and annuities.