How can you determine y's behavior from a direction field graph?

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the behavior of y from a direction field graph using the equation y' = 3 + 2y. The graph shows a horizontal line at y = -3/2, indicating that if y = -3/2 for any t, it will remain -3/2 for all t. However, the behavior of y for different initial values is not clear without first solving the equation. The direction field graph for y > -3/2 and y < -3/2 is also mentioned, along with the corresponding behavior of y(t) for different initial values.
dwilmer
How can you determine y's behavior from a direction field graph??

lets say i have the equation y' = 3 + 2y and i make a direction field graph.

I find equilibrium position at y = -3/2.

If question asks me to determine behavior of y as t approaches infinity, isn't this impossible, without solving the equation?

If i follow along the graph so that t is really big, then the graph still looks the same: a horizontal line at y = -3/2, where the slope of graph is zero. So how can i infer anything about y's behavior without first solving for y?

Physics news on Phys.org

No, the graph is NOT "a horizontal line at y= -3/2". That line is a part of the direction field graph and you can conclude from it that "if y= -3/2 for any t then it will remain -3/2 for all t". But what if the initial value of y is NOT -3/2?

What does the direction field graph look like for y> -3/2? If y(0)> -3/2, what happens to y(t)?

What does the direction field look like for y< -3/2? If y(0)< -3/2, what happens to y(t)?

Related to How can you determine y's behavior from a direction field graph?

1. How do you interpret the direction field graph?

The direction field graph represents the slope of the solution curve at each point on the graph. The direction of the arrows indicates the direction in which the solution curve will move, while the density of the arrows indicates the steepness of the slope.

2. How can you determine the behavior of y from the direction field graph?

The behavior of y can be determined by looking at the overall pattern of the direction field graph. If the arrows are pointing towards a particular line or curve, it indicates that the solution curve will approach that line or curve. If the arrows are pointing away from a particular line or curve, it indicates that the solution curve will move away from that line or curve.

3. What does a direction field graph tell us about the solution to a differential equation?

A direction field graph can give us an idea of the general behavior of the solution to a differential equation. It can help us determine whether the solution will approach a particular value or diverge to infinity, and the rate at which it will do so.

4. Can a direction field graph accurately predict the exact solution to a differential equation?

No, a direction field graph can only provide an approximation of the solution to a differential equation. It does not take into account initial conditions or specific values of the variables, which are necessary to determine the exact solution.

5. How can you use a direction field graph to solve a differential equation?

A direction field graph can be used to estimate the behavior of the solution to a differential equation and help guide the selection of an appropriate numerical or analytical method to find the exact solution. It can also serve as a visual aid in understanding the behavior of the solution.