How Can You Determine the Sum of an Infinite Geometric Series?

• MHB
  • Thread starter hatelove
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Estimate
SE has announced that the remaining exams of class 10 and 12, which were postponed due to the COVID-19 pandemic, will now be held from July 1 to 15.In summary, CBSE has announced that the postponed exams for class 10 and 12 will now be held from July 1 to 15 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
hatelove
i.e.

[tex]\sum_{n = 0}^{\infty}\frac{1}{2^{n}} = \frac{1}{2^{0}} + \frac{1}{2^{1}} + \frac{1}{2^{2}} + \frac{1}{2^{3}} + \frac{1}{2^{4}} + \frac{1}{2^{5}} + \frac{1}{2^{6}} + \cdots = ~1.99138889...[/tex]

Is there a way you can know this solution is 2 without having to perform all of the calculations I did to find which number the sums are approaching? And is there a general method for questions like these to find the solution without having to perform a lot of calculations?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
daigo said:
i.e.

[tex]\sum_{n = 0}^{\infty}\frac{1}{2^{n}} = \frac{1}{2^{0}} + \frac{1}{2^{1}} + \frac{1}{2^{2}} + \frac{1}{2^{3}} + \frac{1}{2^{4}} + \frac{1}{2^{5}} + \frac{1}{2^{6}} + \cdots = ~1.99138889...[/tex]

Is there a way you can know this solution is 2 without having to perform all of the calculations I did to find which number the sums are approaching? And is there a general method for questions like these to find the solution without having to perform a lot of calculations?

There is no general method to determine the sum of a convergent series, it is a result of computability theory that almost all such series are not even computable. This one however is well behaved and its sum can be found using the method sugested by Ackbach

CB

Last edited:

Related to How Can You Determine the Sum of an Infinite Geometric Series?

1. How do I estimate the summation of a series?

To estimate the summation of a series, you can use different methods such as the partial sum method, the telescoping sum method, or the integral test. Each method has its own advantages and limitations, so it is important to understand the series and choose the appropriate method for estimation.

2. What is the purpose of estimating summations?

The purpose of estimating summations is to get an approximate value of a series without having to calculate all the terms. This can be useful in situations where the series is too large or complex to calculate manually or when a quick estimation is needed.

3. Can you estimate a divergent series?

No, you cannot estimate a divergent series. A divergent series is one in which the terms do not approach a finite value as the number of terms increases. Estimating a divergent series would result in an inaccurate value as it does not have a finite sum.

4. How do I know if my estimation is accurate?

The accuracy of your estimation depends on the method used and the number of terms used in the estimation. Generally, the more terms you use, the more accurate your estimation will be. It is also important to compare your estimation to the actual sum of the series to determine its accuracy.

5. Are there any tips for estimating summations effectively?

Yes, there are a few tips that can help you estimate summations effectively. These include understanding the properties of different types of series, choosing the appropriate method for estimation, and practicing with examples. It is also important to double-check your estimation and make adjustments if necessary.