How can you accurately calculate fault current on a finite bus by hand?

In summary, calculating the fault current on an infinite bus is a straightforward process. However, for a finite bus, it can be more complex. The key is to ensure that the power supply can meet the required current for the load. Ohm's law may not necessarily apply in this situation.
danielandham
so calculating FC on an infinite bus is easy but how do you calculate it by hand for a finite bus?

here is the concept i am having an issue understanding:

let say i have a transformer that is 225KVA with 5%z and 3 phase 480 to 208.

with infinite bus i have 12491A available on the secondary of this transformer IF 12291A is flowing on the secondary then based on the voltage ratio and OHMs law 5412.8 A is flowing on the primary.

If this is true then what does it matter if i have infinite amps available on the primary or i have 5412.9 amps available 12491A should still flow in my mind.

I have run this in SKM and i see that it does matter but i just don't understand why.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Let's talk in an ideal world. If you have no load, no current will flow. As you add a load to the secondary, current will flow based on the secondary voltage. Since power in == power out, then equal power will flow in the primary and you can calculate the primary current based on the primary voltage. So the key is power in == power out. Your source merely needs to be able to supply the required current.

I'm not sure where ohms law comes in since you aren't talking resistance yet. I don't quite understand your infinite vs finite either. Am I missing some basic assumption?

Related to How can you accurately calculate fault current on a finite bus by hand?

What is fault current on finite bus?

Fault current on finite bus refers to the amount of current that flows through a power system when a fault, or an abnormal condition such as a short circuit, occurs. It is an important parameter to consider in designing and maintaining power systems to ensure safe and reliable operation.

How is fault current on finite bus calculated?

The calculation of fault current on finite bus involves determining the values of system impedances and the fault location. The fault current is then calculated using Ohm's law, which states that current is equal to the voltage divided by the impedance.

Why is fault current on finite bus important?

Fault current on finite bus is important because it can cause damage to equipment and can also pose safety hazards to personnel. It is essential to accurately calculate and monitor fault current in order to ensure the proper functioning of a power system and to prevent potential damage or accidents.

What factors can affect fault current on finite bus?

The factors that can affect fault current on finite bus include the impedance of the power system, the fault location, and the type of fault. Other factors such as the presence of protective devices and the configuration of the power system can also have an impact on fault current.

How can fault current on finite bus be managed and controlled?

Fault current on finite bus can be managed and controlled through the use of protective devices such as circuit breakers and fuses. These devices can interrupt the flow of fault current and mitigate potential damage. Additionally, the design of the power system can also be optimized to minimize fault current levels.