Maximum current carrying capacity of Bus Bar

In summary: Assuming you are transferring 250MW of power at 132kv and the busbar is rated at a current of 72mA, then the busbar will be able to carry the current. It is not necessary to buy multiple buses bars, as the busbar can carry the current from each transformer connected to it.
muet
If I have to transfer 250 MWh through 3 phase aluminium tubular busbar what is the maximum current carrying capacity under normal condition at 80c temperature and voltage is 132kv at busbar from each 60mw 04 transformers 50hz 132/11kv stepup transformers connected on that busbar,

this is not academic, i need to calculate bus bar current and 72M length which is fixed and i need wall thickness and inner and outer dia ?

thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
anorlunda said:
Did you try to Google "busbar rating" before posting your question?

There are many sources of this information including

http://www.copper.org/applications/electrical/busbar/bus_table3.html
thanks anorlunda,yes i searched entire internet. and i found them. But. Problem is that. I am confused that my power which is to transfer and length 72m can suport that and my voltage and friquency and we have to connect 04 Stepup transformers.,selected bus bar will compatible with that much power and current ?

Last edited:
muet said:
250 MWh
Don't you mean MW, not MWh?

muet said:
from each 60mw 04 transformers
I don't understand that phrase.

Voltage and frequency don't matter, only amps and temperature. For example, you can transfer up to 199 amps, with a 65 degree C temperature rise, using 1/16 inch (1.6 mm) thick, 1/2 inch (13 mm) diameter bus bar. The table in the link provided gives similar answers for many ampere ratings.

anorlunda said:
Don't you mean MW, not MWh?I don't understand that phrase.

Voltage and frequency don't matter, only amps and temperature. For example, you can transfer up to 199 amps, with a 65 degree C temperature rise, using 1/16 inch (1.6 mm) thick, 1/2 inch (13 mm) diameter bus bar. The table in the link provided gives similar answers for many ampere ratings.
we have 60MVA 04
Transformers which are going to connect. And we have to transfer almost 250 MW power at 132kv voltage ? Busbar
have to carry this much power all the time .

muet said:
250 MW power at 132kv voltage

Can you calculate the current from that data? If yes, what more do you need?

anorlunda said:
Can you calculate the current from that data? If yes, what more do you need?
ok. I can calculate 250 MW at 132kv current. But i want to know. That bus bars are come in small sections which are going to connect and formed one 72m bare per phase. So all small bars have to carry that much current or combine of them say 72m single bar. ?

Last edited:
It is safest to assume they ask carry the same current. Don't forget possible overloads our future expansions.

Since bus bars are not expensive, it might be smart to buy some rated two times the amount you calculate.

anorlunda said:
It is safest to assume they ask carry the same current. Don't forget possible overloads our future expansions.

Since bus bars are not expensive, it might be smart to buy some rated two times the amount you calculate.

thanks man . but i am still confused. that my bus bar total length is 72 m / phase and they might come in 12m small parts 6 parts per phase. are they have to carry that much current individually or combine of them ?,

The current capacity is amps per meter to give a constant temperature rise.

The total length, and the number of short pieces doesn't matter.

anorlunda said:

means i have 12 m bar and 72m bar both have same rise of temperature at same current carrying ?

anorlunda said:

thanks anorlunda for informative conversation . we are gating 12m Bus bars total length of 72m per phase, and Dia is 80mm and wall thikness 8mm which will be carry upto 2500 A current at 85c temp ,

:olduhh:
First of all I should recommend you to take an experimented engineer to check all your calculation. What you could get here it is a general information.

The busbar maximum temperature for steady state load it is not the single criterion.

The actual calculation involved static and dynamic load on busbar, insulators and other accessories.

The busbar system has to withstand short-circuit current thermal and electromechanical effect [See IEC 60865-1,2 for instance] wind, ice and earthquake effect.

Related to Maximum current carrying capacity of Bus Bar

What is the maximum current carrying capacity of a Bus Bar?

The maximum current carrying capacity of a Bus Bar depends on various factors such as the material, size, and temperature rise. Generally, it can range from a few hundred amps to several thousand amps.

How does the material of the Bus Bar affect its maximum current carrying capacity?

The material of the Bus Bar plays a significant role in determining its maximum current carrying capacity. Copper is the most commonly used material due to its high conductivity, which allows for a higher current carrying capacity compared to other materials such as aluminum.

What is the effect of size on the maximum current carrying capacity of a Bus Bar?

The size of the Bus Bar directly affects its maximum current carrying capacity. A larger cross-sectional area of the Bus Bar allows for better heat dissipation and lower resistance, resulting in a higher current carrying capacity.

What is the maximum temperature rise allowed for a Bus Bar?

The maximum temperature rise allowed for a Bus Bar is typically 50-60 degrees Celsius above the ambient temperature. Going beyond this temperature can cause damage to the Bus Bar and the electrical components connected to it.

How does the maximum current carrying capacity of a Bus Bar vary with different applications?

The maximum current carrying capacity of a Bus Bar can vary depending on the application it is used for. This is because different applications have different levels of current demands and require different sizes and materials of Bus Bars to meet those demands.

Back