How can the volume of a solid be found by rotating a region around a given line?

In summary, the problem is to find the volume of a solid obtained by rotating the region bounded by the curves y = \sqrt[4]{x} and y = x about the line y = 1. Two possible approaches are using cylindrical shells or circular washers, and it is important to draw sketches to understand the problem and set up the integral correctly.
regnar
Find the volume of the solid obtained by rotating the region bounded by the given curves about the line y=1.

y = [tex]\sqrt[4]{x}[/tex] , y = xI couldn't figure out if a should subtract one from x or from y = [tex]\sqrt[4]{x}[/tex]. I don't know if I'm doing this right I tried subtracting it from x and got a negative area.
I also used this formula:
[tex]\pi[/tex][tex]\int[/tex]r^2 h

Physics news on Phys.org

regnar said:
Find the volume of the solid obtained by rotating the region bounded by the given curves about the line y=1.

y = [tex]\sqrt[4]{x}[/tex] , y = x

I couldn't figure out if a should subtract one from x or from y = [tex]\sqrt[4]{x}[/tex]. I don't know if I'm doing this right I tried subtracting it from x and got a negative area.

I also used this formula:
[tex]\pi[/tex][tex]\int[/tex]r^2 h
This formula is to be used when your typical volume element is a circular disk of radius r and thickness h. It is not at all applicable in this problem. Have you drawn a sketch of the region bounded by the two curves? Have you drawn a sketch of the solid generated when the region is rotated around the line y = 1? These sketches are necessary in helping you understand how to set up your integral. In this problem there are two approaches: cylindrical shells or circular washers.

Related to How can the volume of a solid be found by rotating a region around a given line?

1. What is the formula for finding the volume of a solid?

The formula for finding the volume of a solid depends on the shape of the solid. Some common formulas include:

• Cube: V = s^3 (where s is the length of one side)
  • Rectangular prism: V = lwh (where l is length, w is width, and h is height)
  • Cylinder: V = πr^2h (where r is the radius and h is the height)
  • Sphere: V = (4/3)πr^3 (where r is the radius)

2. How do you measure the dimensions of a solid?

The dimensions of a solid refer to its length, width, and height. These can be measured using a ruler or measuring tape. For more complex shapes, such as a sphere, the radius can be measured using a compass or a specialized tool.

3. Can the volume of a hollow object be found?

Yes, the volume of a hollow object, also known as a hollow cylinder or tube, can be found by subtracting the volume of the empty space inside from the volume of the solid cylinder or tube. The formula for this is:

V = π(r2^2 - r1^2)h

where r2 is the outer radius, r1 is the inner radius, and h is the height.

4. How accurate do my measurements need to be for finding the volume of a solid?

The level of accuracy needed for finding the volume of a solid depends on the application. For example, if you are building a structure, you would want to have precise measurements to ensure the structure is stable. However, if you are just calculating the volume for a math problem, a rough estimate may be sufficient.

5. How can I use the volume of a solid in real life?

The volume of a solid is a useful measurement in many real-life scenarios. For example, it can be used in construction to determine the amount of materials needed for a project. It can also be used in packaging and shipping to determine the amount of space an item will take up. In science, the volume of a solid can help calculate the density of a material, which can provide important information about its properties.