How can the value of r that minimizes the norm of a square matrix A be found?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Chris L T521
  • Start date
In summary, the norm of a square matrix A is a measure of its size or magnitude, denoted by ||A||. It is important to find the value of r that minimizes the norm of A as it helps identify the most important features or components of the matrix. This can be done by computing the Singular Value Decomposition (SVD) of A and selecting the r largest singular values, known as the Eckart-Young-Mirsky theorem. There are various methods and algorithms, such as the power method, Lanczos algorithm, and truncated SVD method, that can be used to find the value of r. These methods may vary in effectiveness depending on the properties of the matrix.
Chris L T521
Gold Member
MHB
Thanks to those who participated in last week's POTW. Here's this week's problem!

-----

Problem: The norm of a $m\times n$ matrix $A=[a_{ij}]$ is given by the formula

\[\|A\| = \sqrt{\sum_{i=1}^m\sum_{j=1}^na_{ij}^2}.\]

For an $n\times n$ square matrix $A$, show that the value of $r$ that minimizes $\|A-rI\|^2$ is $r=\text{tr}\,(A)/n$, where $\text{tr}\,(A)$ is the trace of $A$ (i.e. the sum of the main diagonal elements of $A$).

-----

Physics news on Phys.org
The following members answered the question correctly: Sudharaka, PaulRS, Opalg, and Bacterius.

There were two different ways of going about this problem. Sudharaka and Bacterius approached the problem the way I did, whereas PaulRS and Opalg used inner product spaces, which I think is more clever!

Here's Bacterius' solution:

For a square matrix $A$ of dimension $n \times n$, the squared norm is:

$\displaystyle ||A||^2 = \sum_{i = 1}^{n} \sum_{j = 1}^{n} a^2_{ij}$

For a square matrix $A - rI$ for some real $r$, $I$ being the identity matrix of same dimensions as $A$, we have:

$\displaystyle ||A - rI||^2 = \sum_{i = 1}^{n} \sum_{j = 1}^{n} (a_{ij} - rI_{ij} )^2$

Clearly the subtraction of $rI$ only affects the diagonal entries of $A$, so we have:

$\displaystyle ||A - rI||^2 = c + \sum_{i = 1}^{n} (a_{ii} - rI_{ii} )^2 = c + \sum_{i = 1}^{n} (a_{ii} - r )^2$

For some constant $c$ solely dependent on $A$. We want to minimize the following with respect to $r$:

$\displaystyle ||A - rI||^2= c + \sum_{i = 1}^{n} (a_{ii} - r )^2$

So we wish to solve $\displaystyle \frac{d}{dr} ||A - rI||^2 = 0$

$\displaystyle \frac{d}{dr} ||A - rI||^2 = \frac{d}{dr} \left [ c + \sum_{i = 1}^{n} (a_{ii} - r )^2 \right ] = \sum_{i = 1}^{n} (2r - 2a_{ii}) = 2 \sum_{i = 1}^{n} (r - a_{ii})= 2 \left [ \sum_{i = 1}^n r - \sum_{i = 1}^n a_{ii} \right ] = 2 \left ( rn - \mathrm{tr} (A) \right ) = 0$

Solving for $r$:

$\displaystyle 2 \left ( rn - \mathrm{tr} (A) \right ) = 0 ~~~ \implies ~~~ r = \frac{\mathrm{tr} (A)}{n}$

Because the function being minimized is quadratic in $r$ with a positive coefficient, the only solution to the derivative function must be a minimum. Therefore:

$\displaystyle ||A - rI||^2 ~~~$ is minimized by $\displaystyle ~~~ r = \frac{\mathrm{tr} (A)}{n}$

$\mathbb{QED}$

Here's PaulRS's solution:

Let us define an inner product for the $n\times n$ matrices: $ \left \langle A, B \right \rangle= \displaystyle\sum_{i=1}^n \sum_{j=1}^n [A]_{i,j} \cdot _{i,j}$ . The given norm is, in fact, the norm derived from this inner-product.

The key now is to note that the subspace generated by $\{I\}$ is $\{ r \cdot I : r \in {\mathbb R} \}$. Thus if we want $r\in {\mathbb R}$ that minimizes $ \| A - r \cdot I \| ^2$, that is exactly the $r$ that makes $r\cdot I$ the projection of $A$ onto the subspace generated by $\{I\}$.Since $\{I\}$ is already an orthogonal base, the projection is $\displaystyle\frac{\left \langle A , I \right \rangle}{\left \langle I, I \right \rangle} \cdot I= \frac{\text{tr}(A)}{n} \cdot I $ , because $\left \langle A, I \right \rangle = \text{tr} (A)$ and $\left \langle I, I \right \rangle = n$.Thus indeed: $r = \displaystyle\frac{\text{tr}(A)}{n} $.

Related to How can the value of r that minimizes the norm of a square matrix A be found?

1. What is the norm of a square matrix A?

The norm of a square matrix A is a measure of its size or magnitude. It is denoted by ||A|| and can be thought of as the largest stretch factor of the matrix, i.e. the maximum value of ||Ax|| where x is a vector of unit length.

2. Why is it important to find the value of r that minimizes the norm of A?

Finding the value of r that minimizes the norm of A is important because it helps to identify the most important features or components of the matrix. This can be useful in various applications such as data analysis, signal processing, and machine learning.

3. How can the value of r be determined to minimize the norm of A?

The value of r that minimizes the norm of A can be found by computing the Singular Value Decomposition (SVD) of the matrix A and selecting the r largest singular values. This is known as the Eckart-Young-Mirsky theorem.

4. Is there a specific method or algorithm to find the value of r?

Yes, there are various methods and algorithms that can be used to find the value of r that minimizes the norm of A. Some commonly used methods include the power method, the Lanczos algorithm, and the truncated SVD method.

5. Can the value of r be determined for any type of square matrix A?

Yes, the value of r can be determined for any type of square matrix A. However, the effectiveness of different methods may vary depending on the properties of the matrix, such as its size, sparsity, and structure.