How can the simplification of equation I.4 using equation I.5 be justified?

In summary, the conversation discusses the simplification of equation I.4 in the zeroth law of statistical mechanics. It is mentioned that equation I.5 can be used to simplify equation I.4 by cancelling the coordinates of C. The speaker asks for clarification on how to justify this fact. The conversation then goes on to explain the process of eliminating all C's in the equation until it becomes θA(A1,A2,...)=θB(B1,B2,...). It is also mentioned that MIT recorded professor Kardar's lectures two years ago, which can be watched for further explanation.
Aniket1
I was studying zeroth law from MIT Courseware (http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics/...-fall-2013/lecture-notes/MIT8_333F13_Lec1.pdf). On page 2, it is mentioned that equation I.4 can be simplified using equation I.5 by cancelling the co-ordinates of C. Could someone guide me justify this fact? I tried working it out by assuming functions and I could construct functions where equation I.4 and equation I.5 are satisfied but it is not possible to cancel C. Am I missing something?

Physics news on Phys.org
Equation I.4 does not contain C1. Now let' eliminate C2. Differentiate I.4 with respect to A1, then you will get

F#AC(A1,A2,...,C2,...)=0

But then you can write this equation as C2=GAC(A1,A2,...,C3,C4,...).

Similarly, differentiate I.4 with respect to B1. Then you will get
F#BC(B1,B2,...,C2,...)=0

But again you can write it as C2=GBC(B1,B2,...,C3,C4,...).

Since there is equilibrium then,
GBC(B1,B2,...,C3,C4,...) = GAC(A1,A2,...,C3,C4,...).

Thus, you eliminated C2. Repeat the procedure unti you eliminate all C's . Then you will end up with
θA(A1,A2,...)=θB(B1,B2,...).

Likes Aniket1

Related to How can the simplification of equation I.4 using equation I.5 be justified?

What is the Zeroth Law MIT Courseware?

The Zeroth Law MIT Courseware is a collection of online courses offered by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) that cover various topics related to science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM).

How many courses are included in the Zeroth Law MIT Courseware?

There are currently over 200 courses available in the Zeroth Law MIT Courseware, covering a wide range of subjects such as physics, chemistry, computer science, and biology.

Are the courses in the Zeroth Law MIT Courseware free?

Yes, all courses in the Zeroth Law MIT Courseware are free to access and do not require any payment or enrollment fees. However, some courses may offer optional certificates for a fee.

Can I earn a degree or certificate from the Zeroth Law MIT Courseware?

No, the Zeroth Law MIT Courseware does not offer degrees or certificates. It is a collection of open online courses that can be taken for personal enrichment or to supplement traditional education.

Are the courses in the Zeroth Law MIT Courseware self-paced?

Yes, most courses in the Zeroth Law MIT Courseware are self-paced, meaning you can start and finish them at your own pace. However, some courses may have specific start and end dates.