How can the Polynomial Remainder Theorem be applied in real-life situations?

In summary, the polynomial remainder theorem states that when dividing a polynomial f(x) by (x-a), the remainder will be f(a). While this may not seem useful at first, it is a fundamental concept that is used in many mathematical applications, such as finding the roots of quadratic equations. It can also be applied in real-world situations, such as predicting inventory usage in a company. This theorem also allows for the simplification of higher degree polynomials, making them easier to solve. However, there is debate on whether it is more practical to use a graphing computer program or synthetic division to find roots in real-life scenarios.
MadmanMurray
I know how the polynomial remainder theorem works but I can't see how knowing this is useful in any way. So I have f(X). I know that if I divide the statement in f(X) by X - a the remainder will be a. How is this useful knowledge though? What can I discover using this principle that I wouldn't ordinarily be able to find out?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Well it isn't a, it's f(a).
This idea is used (without mention) again and again throughout mathematics. Whenever you find the roots a,b of a quadratic equation you tend to write it in the form (X-a)(X-b). So a question to ask yourself is: how do you know this is always possible? What about cubics and quartics?

Umm well if you are talking about a real world application then i got a hypothetical for you.

Suppose we have to maximize/minimize a function f(x). Now after finding the derivative i.e. f'(x) (i am not sure if you have done calculus yet).

So alternatively think about a function f(x) that predicts the inventory usage in a company. This f(x) is obviously a model so let's say it has a degree of 20 or something big. Remember now that the set of equation for which we can analytically solve the equations are greatly reduced.

Now we can program a computer to start from say x= -80 and end at x = 80 with a increment of 0.001 and then using remainder theorem we can say as long as the value after applying the theorem is less than 0.05 <an arbitrary criterion, we only have to make is as close to zero as we want to the level of accuracy desired>.

So we should be able to find the times the past 80 to the 80 days in future when the inventory is 0.

If you can find x= a that satisfies P(x)= 0, then the remainder theorem tells you that x- a divides P(x) with remainder 0. That means that x-a is a factor of P(x) and you can write P(x)= (x-a)Q(x) where Q(x) is a polynomial of of degree one less than P(x). Since Q(x) has lower degree it may be easier to solve Q(x)= 0 and so continue factoring P(x).

I spent some time rethinking about this. Some applications which can lead to second or higher degree polynomial functions can involve voluem calculations for box shapes, and cost modeling. You would possibly be able to use one of these theorems if your model can be approxomated with rational coefficients. Not certain is whether an analyst would actually use remainder or factor theorems. Would it not be easier to simply use a graphing computer program to display a graph for the function model, and directly read the roots from the resulting displayed graph? I imagine the analyst could then apply synthetic division to reach any complex roots or simply accept the quadratic factors without trying to reach complex roots.

Anyone with real-life experience with this to contribute more to this discussion?

Related to How can the Polynomial Remainder Theorem be applied in real-life situations?

What is the Polynomial Remainder Theorem?

The Polynomial Remainder Theorem is a mathematical concept that states when a polynomial f(x) is divided by another polynomial g(x), the remainder will be a polynomial of a lower degree than g(x).

How is the Polynomial Remainder Theorem used?

The Polynomial Remainder Theorem is used to find the remainder when one polynomial is divided by another. It is also useful for evaluating polynomial expressions and solving polynomial equations.

What are the steps for using the Polynomial Remainder Theorem?

To use the Polynomial Remainder Theorem, you must first divide the polynomial f(x) by g(x). Then, write the remainder as a polynomial of a lower degree. Finally, use the quotient and remainder to rewrite the original polynomial f(x).

Can the Polynomial Remainder Theorem be used for polynomials with more than one variable?

Yes, the Polynomial Remainder Theorem can be used for polynomials with more than one variable. However, the remainder will also have more than one variable.

What is the significance of the Polynomial Remainder Theorem?

The Polynomial Remainder Theorem is significant because it allows us to divide polynomials and find the remainder, which can be useful in many areas of mathematics, such as algebra, calculus, and number theory.